• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
The beaches of South Walton are recognized as some of the cleanest, most admired beaches in the nation. To ensure they remain pristine, join the South Walton Community Council's (SWCC) Beach Cleanup on Saturday, July 5, from 8-10 a.m. The first step toward cleaner coasts starts by joining this cleanup effort which has become an annual event.

Locally sponsored by the SWCC and Beaches of South Walton Tourist Development Council, this program encourages stewardship of the county's precious coastal area.

This year the event will have eight main cleanup starting sites: Eastern Lake, Blue Mountain Beach Access, Dune Allen Beach Access, Ed Walline Park Access, Grayton Beach Access, Seagrove Beach Access, Miramar Beach Access (on the eastern side of Pompano Joe's), and Van Ness Butler Beach Access (between Seaside and Watercolor).

Complimentary cleanup supplies and bottled water will be provided at each location. For more information on volunteering contact Bill Schultz, 850-231-0947, saait@aol.com

Walton County TDC
850-267-1216

cynthiaj.1111

Beach Comber
May 30, 2008
I was so dismayed yesterday afternoon to see so much trash left on Seaside beach. There were cups and water bottles everywhere, it looked like the aftermath of a concert. I haven't seen this much garbage left behind in Grayton or Blue Mountain and wonder if some of the renters and homeowners in Seaside just figure they are paying for a beach cleaning service as well and don't need to pick up after themselves. Harm to the ocean ecosystem aside, the trash sends a terrible message to our visitors (even if visitors left it). How do we get the message across?:dunno:
Sorry Kurt..Somepeople just do not get it yet! I just posted a grage sale thread for Herons Watch. I am not sure if I did it correctly. Are you the Kurt who started SoWal?? I may have the wrong guy...:dunno:

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Sorry Kurt..Somepeople just do not get it yet! I just posted a grage sale thread for Herons Watch. I am not sure if I did it correctly. Are you the Kurt who started SoWal?? I may have the wrong guy...:dunno:

There's only 1 kurt. ;-)

bluemtnrunner

Beach Fanatic
Dec 31, 2007
It isn't just tourists that litter.

I agree that it isn't just the tourists. My question is, do the homeowners and renters think that beach cleanup is a service they pay for (cabana boys or clean up crews)?

In a lot of wilderness areas there are pack it in/pack it out laws. Maybe we need to figure out how to do that here.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
I agree that it isn't just the tourists. My question is, do the homeowners and renters think that beach cleanup is a service they pay for (cabana boys or clean up crews)?

In a lot of wilderness areas there are pack it in/pack it out laws. Maybe we need to figure out how to do that here.

If the litter magically disappears one might assume that it's included. Regardless though if it didn't I don't really think that people would pick it up, they would simply complain that it wasn't being removed. Seems to be part of the "resort" mentality.

SMcQueen

Beach Comber
Jul 11, 2006
Trash on a beach is a symptom of a much bigger problem. The problem is ATTITUDE, and the attitude is "Me, Me, Me and I don't care what you think". You can see it everywhere if you pay attention;;; driving habits, in line at WalMart, restaurants, anywhere more than one person is located at the same time. "Get out of my way!"
My family has vacationed in SoWal for over 60 years. If you left trash on the beach in 1960, you would not have been surprized to find it deposited in the front seat of your car the next morning. And, you would not have complained.
Good luck with the problem of trash, but until attitudes change a lot, get used to it.

totaljen

Beach Lover
May 29, 2008
Blue Mountain Beach
Sadly, I think Mack is right ... the root of the problem is an internal one that we ultimately only have control of in ourselves. And I think it's right to be angry at the apathy, my suggestion however, is this: "Don't be overcome by evil, but overcome evil w/good."(Rom.12:21) There's a lot of good ideas in this thread. People really do learn by example and 'know' when they're doing something wrong (or else that family wouldn't be 'looking' around before they locked their SUV, and later moved it ;-)).
So the more people see others in the act of 'caring' about our beaches, the more those careless attitudes are confronted w/an opportunity to change. Unfortunately, even if stricter laws are passed, you can't 'force' people to care ... but you can create an atmosphere that causes a chance for change.

There's power in our actions. If someone vacationing who's 'people watching' notices someone else walking the beach, picking up trash, and filling holes, it makes a difference. I think the majority of people honestly may not even realize they're being careless, they may just be internally numb. The 'me' mentality creates that...so, all it may take is seeing someone else being caring and aware to snap them out of it (at least while they're on our beaches anyway!:D)

Just my thoughts! ... and I'm technically not even a 'SoWal-er' yet! My first visit to these beaches almost a year ago really touched me b/c of how 'untouched' they are compared to other beaches I've been too...so immediately, I felt privileged to even be there to see it, and feel even more responsible to take care of it.:love:

2bohemians

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2005
www.searchthe30a.com
Sadly, I think Mack is right ... the root of the problem is an internal one that we ultimately only have control of in ourselves. And I think it's right to be angry at the apathy, my suggestion however, is this: "Don't be overcome by evil, but overcome evil w/good."(Rom.12:21) There's a lot of good ideas in this thread. People really do learn by example and 'know' when they're doing something wrong (or else that family wouldn't be 'looking' around before they locked their SUV, and later moved it ;-)).
So the more people see others in the act of 'caring' about our beaches, the more those careless attitudes are confronted w/an opportunity to change. Unfortunately, even if stricter laws are passed, you can't 'force' people to care ... but you can create an atmosphere that causes a chance for change.

There's power in our actions. If someone vacationing who's 'people watching' notices someone else walking the beach, picking up trash, and filling holes, it makes a difference. I think the majority of people honestly may not even realize they're being careless, they may just be internally numb. The 'me' mentality creates that...so, all it may take is seeing someone else being caring and aware to snap them out of it (at least while they're on our beaches anyway!:D)

Just my thoughts! ... and I'm technically not even a 'SoWal-er' yet! My first visit to these beaches almost a year ago really touched me b/c of how 'untouched' they are compared to other beaches I've been too...so immediately, I felt privileged to even be there to see it, and feel even more responsible to take care of it.:love:

Well said .... though you may not technically be living in SoWal yet, it's clear you are a SoWal-er in spirit already --- :welcome:

seagrovegirl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2008
Historic Old Point Washington
Up on the state line, hubby and I have a weekend house/hurricane haven house in Paxton. It is LONG dirt road that we walk our dogs on. Yesterday we filled 4 tall kitchen garbage bags with trash! In about a 1/4 mile. The type of trash was typically stuff that is light and can blow out of the bed of a truck....and the usual beer cans/bottle. We'll see how long litter free lasts.

5thGenFlo

Beach Lover
Dec 18, 2007
Nashville, TN
Years ago, I remember seeing the 'Pitch In' insignia on things like garbage bins and pier entrances. A small advertisement to remind people to keep Florida clean went a long way. I don't see many little reminders like that in places now. In a lot of Florida State Parks there is a neet little notice for visitors upon entering. It always helped me remember to respect the environment. It says, 'Take nothing but pictures. Leave nothing but footprints. '