• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

JustaLocal

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2007
SRB
Here is a shorty from a Friend of mine for you greedy people out there.:bang:http://

Nice video.

I disagree that beach renourishment caused the private beach signs. There are many now on beaches that have not been renourished. The connection is incidental.

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
:shock:...the protec tube is back. I have to go reread the letter, but WC has brought it back for reconsideration because the ban was lifted. I hope now that more time has passed and some people have been educated, it will not pass the HOA this time around. Many people voted out of fear. It was going to be a $2,000 assessment.

Shockleysprings

Beach Lover
May 14, 2008
Wild Wild West Florida
Not only is beach restoration a farce, if beaches are privatized, the cost of restoration should be paid by the owners, not public funding. Once they add up the actual cost of restoration views would rapidly change. Vote, Run for office, if you don't you will get what is dished out.

beacheart

Beach Lover
Aug 29, 2005
Please explain how being in favor of beach restoration makes one greedy?

The one point I agree with is the trash on the beach and the tents,etc being left out as the pictures showed.

How are the beaches being made private? Anyone can use the beach. They can walk anywhere they want. People who have homes, condo's or hotels on the beach need the space in front of their property for their guests. They are the ones who bear the largest tax burden. Why is that wrong? There are plenty of very nice public beach accesses all along 30-A. In addition to the public accesses there are deeded beach accesses that are plentiful. I think it is infringing on others' rights to think- well I will just lug my stuff down the beach a way where there are less people and spread out in front of someone's house. Then the person who owns the house or the people renting the house want to spend some time on the beach but there is no room.

Beach restoration along the 30-A corridor is absolutely needed. It will benefit everyone. The consequences for not restoring the beaches will impact just about everybody in sowalton. One large storm will prove that.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
The beaches are being "made private" by beachfront owners posting signs, hiring security, and calling the Sheriff to arrest innocent vacationers. It is NOT because there isn't room for everyone on the beach, it's because they didn't learn how to share in kindegarten and don't want anyone on "their" sand!

IMO the nicest sections of beach in Sowal are the ones that DIDN'T get renourished. Mother Nature does a much better job of "fixing" the beaches than we do despite wasting millions on it.

All a large storm will prove is that we need to leave to the beaches alone and some houses were built in the wrong place!

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I don't see how adding more sand to the beach in all of SoWal will benefit everyone. In fact, the best beach is in front of the State Parks, where they did nothing other than plant Sea Oats. The difference is the dunes are cycled through in the State Parks, and rebuilt by nature over time, and in other places, people have built on top of the ever-shifting dune system. Adding more sand to extend the beach won't stop waves from breaking against the dunes or seawalls during a big storm when the storm surge is higher than the beach. That math simply doesn't add up, in my opinion. We just live in a "right now" kind of Country. -- We want everything right now.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Go to the SoWal library and walk to the sitting area to the right of the front desk (if you are facing the desk), and look at the old photo of Grayton Beach, hanging on the wall. I'm not sure when it was taken, but there weren't Gulf Front homes. In fact, there were only a couple of homes built seaward of what is now the Red Bar. In the area known as "New Grayton," there were only sand dunes. People knew better, but at some point in time, someone built, and everyone else followed the dumb masses (don't read that too fast).

beacheart

Beach Lover
Aug 29, 2005
Okay I get it now. All beachfront owners sorta deserve to be eliminated because they built there in the first place - even though at the time there was about 150' more beach. Also it is wrong for them to enjoy a private spot in front of their property because the public and deeded beach accesses are not sufficient for the innocent vacationers. By the way some of those innocent vacationers are renting beachfront houses so they can have a more private spot for their stay. I guess that is wrong too. I don't think this issue is just about the "innocent vacationers" - I think it is about an idealogy.
By the way the dunes on the military property between Destin and Ft. Walton are very different from the way they were pre Ivan and Dennis. There are no houses there.
Does anyone have the figures on the number of beachfront owners who have had someone arrested and who hire security?

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
beacheart, help me understand how adding more sand to extend the beach helps a gulf front homeowner. I don't see how. With a decent size storm, like any of the ones which hit us in 2004-2005, the beach would be covered with sweeping water, hitting at the dunes or seawalls. A large storm will still remove that additional sand used to widen the beach, in my opinion. Do you see that differently?