• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
gayboi, we don't need signs for the stupid. Nature will take care of them, and it is a proven fact that most people don't read the signs, or either they ignore them after reading them. Although, the State Parks are in the process of making and posting some nature stops along the trails and lakes, which are being used to educate people about the environment and nature along the trails and lakes. Maybe they could incorporate some "feeding the gator" info on a few of the ones around the lakes. I seem to recall seeing one on alligators posted on the north side of Western Lake, but I don't remember it having anything about feeding them. I'll have to look again.

Yes, when a gator is hissing at you, it is best to back up slowly and get the heck out of dodge, but it isn't too late. Most gators which haven't been around people, don't want anything to do with people, and their nature isn't to eat people, at least not healthy living adults. The males do get very territorial in mating season and the momma gators get very protective of their nests and their babies, but Mocking Birds have more of a tendency to strike at people than do gators.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I can honestly say that in all my almost 54 years on earth that I have never entertained the idea of feeding an alligator. :blink:
You're a vacationing anomaly - you also can navigate 30-A w/o blue signs and pick up your trash/belongings from the beach. :D

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Here's the sign I was looking for:

P1010017.jpg

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I like the signs at the public ramp on Tyndall, which reads something like,
Danger:
Rip Currents, Sharks, Alligators, Explosives!
Use extreme caution.

ASH

Beach Fanatic
Feb 4, 2008
Roosevelt, MN
The pic I tossed in is a sign in the Blackwater River state park. Not 100 yards from this sign is a swimming hole on the river full of people. :shock:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Alligator bites off arm of late-night swimmer in Okeechobee

BY KEONA GARDNER |Scripps Treasure Coast Newspapers June 24, 2008

Okeechobee - Kasey Edwards said he never paid "too much mind" to alligators swimming in canals in Okeechobee County.

But early Sunday morning, an 11?-foot alligator had his full attention as Edwards, 18, struggled to free his left arm from the jaws of the reptile.

"It's a very surreal feeling. You know, feeling like you're about to die here and you know, praying to God," Edwards said. "I have to give all the credit to God for keeping me out there."

He got away with his life and the gator with his left arm.

On Monday evening, Edwards was in fair condition at Holmes Regional Medical Center in Melbourne with his arm severed about 3 to 4 inches above the elbow. Today, Edwards said, he will have surgery. He hopes to be out of the hospital by the weekend.

At 2:21 a.m. Sunday, Edwards was hanging out with friends on Nubbin Slough in Okeechobee County when he told them he was going to swim across a 25-foot-deep canal, according to an Okeechobee County Sheriff's Office report.

Edwards had been drinking alcoholic beverages earlier and may have been impaired, according to witnesses quoted in the report. His friends tried to persuade him not to do it, the report states.

Halfway through the swim, an alligator approached Edwards and clamped down on his left arm. Edwards said he knew the next move was the death roll, when a gator pulls its prey underwater and rolls the victim around to drown it.

And that's when Edwards said he fought back by grabbing hold of a buoy line and not letting go. Somewhere in the battle he used the middle finger on his right hand to poke the reptile in the eye.

That's when Edwards got free, he said, started swimming and realized he didn't have his left arm. But his main concern was to make it to the east end of the canal so friends could pull him to safety.

Edwards said his attack shows something needs to be done about the overpopulation of gators.

"They're not protected creatures. They're nuisance animals," he said.

Edwards said the credit for his survival and quick thinking goes to God, friends and emergency personnel.

"I don't care who you are or how strong you think you are. You aren't going to be able to hold on to a buoy line while an 11?-foot alligator is trying to pull you underwater," he said.

I wonder if a drunk 18 year old is more of a nuisance than the gators.

ASH

Beach Fanatic
Feb 4, 2008
Roosevelt, MN
Well....nature was trying to take care of that situation as well. Darwinian award hopeful. I saw the news story. Kid looked perfectly normal, clean cut, but really made a couple bad decisions.
If you are drinking don't drive.....or swim across a gator infested canal. :blink:

totaljen

Beach Lover
May 29, 2008
Blue Mountain Beach
Since it was a fun activity for both the construction workers and tourists/visitors to "feed the gators" off the Watercolor pier...

They must all be coming through Destin to get to SoWal...there's a few hotel/restaurant signs screaming "Live Gators!! Daily Feedings!!" to 'showcase' their particular uniqueness on the strip.
It probably gets stuck in their subconscious, so when they see them in the wild they remember "Live Gators!! Daily Feedings!!" and think: 'Yeah!! That's a good idea!!!' ;-)

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Well....nature was trying to take care of that situation as well. Darwinian award hopeful. I saw the news story. Kid looked perfectly normal, clean cut, but really made a couple bad decisions.
If you are drinking don't drive.....or swim across a gator infested canal. :blink:

My 6 year old heard this story, then said "It's OK. He can use his other arm."

Like this----:wave: