• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
I'm sorry and maybe we hit a bad night but we went to Jambones for the first time on Wednesday night of this week and to say we were dissappointed would be putting it mildly. One member of our party of four is handicapped and was in a wheel chair. No assistance from anyone in getting him to a table. We did manage just fine but a courteous "anything we can do?" would be appreciated. My wife and I ordered a beef brisket sandwich with one side and she had ice tea and I ordered beer from the bar. The brisket sandwich was reasonably good but not worth what we paid for our meal IMO. The total, not including the beer, was $23.43 (9.95 per sandwich and one side). I, also do Q on a regular basis. I think I'll remain home with mine before I return again to Jambones. Sorry, but I call them like I see them. It comes from my days of umpiring.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
Mr Alderson has contacted me and informed me I am wrong about offering assistance for our handicapped friend. Since I don't remember exactly what transpired, I will take him at his word that assistance was offered and I apologize for my error. That having been said, I stand by the rest of my post.

Indigo Jill

Beach Fanatic
May 10, 2006
Point Washington
www.sowalscene.com
The brisket sandwich was reasonably good but not worth what we paid for our meal IMO. The total, not including the beer, was $23.43 (9.95 per sandwich and one side).

Maybe I've been here too long and have gotten used to "resort prices" but - to put some perspective into this thought - I was at Mickey D's drive through the other day for a quick bite for one of my sons and a grilled chicken sandwich meal was $6.89. For $8.95 - I could've had a plate of hormone and steroid free, free range, organic pork smoked over pecan wood with fries and baked beans at JamBone. JamBone is a steal IMHO and I am having a hard time understanding why some think it's "pricey". :dunno:

Miss Critter

Beach Fanatic
Mar 8, 2008
My perfect beach
You're right, Jill. The other day I bought my son a Whataburger double burger upsized meal and it was about $9.00!! :yikes:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Nah, the dry rub is just at the Rendezvous, and just for ribs. All the rest use sauce on both ribs and shoulder. You might have had Corky's when they were open in Destin - they do a Rendezvous clone thing with the dry ribs.

And the white bread is an authentic thing. Visit Payne's or some of the other old BBQs there, and that's what you get.
BBQ was food for the poor, like many of our great dishes which we eat regularly. Cheap cuts of meat, cooked slowly to make it tender and tasty. White bread was also cheap, and it was what many people used for their sandwich bread. It is okay, but that is what I use at home. I would rather have a real bun, but I never buy an eight pack of buns unless I'm having a party. At Jambone's I've been getting the bbq plate, and am fine with it being served with white bread, but if I order a sandwich, just give me a bun.

I've eaten at Rendevous (Memphis) several time and ordered the ribs every time. I was always told that Rendevous was Memphis BBQ. I've also eaten at Corky's (memphis) as often as 5 times in a week :blink: and like it, but thought it was more commercialized and maybe not true Q for Memphis.

I grew up on wet Q, but I do like dry rub Q too, if it is cooked properly.

Back to Jambone's, my last visit, I sampled the sauces and I like the variety, but none were as tasty as that Budha Butt marinade -- YUMMY!

JamBone

Beach Fanatic
Jan 24, 2008
SRB FL
Mr Alderson has contacted me and informed me I am wrong about offering assistance for our handicapped friend. Since I don't remember exactly what transpired, I will take him at his word that assistance was offered and I apologize for my error. That having been said, I stand by the rest of my post.

thank you very much andy a for that and i still respect your opinion on your thoughts on your meal here. i hope very much to have you back as a guest to give us another try - i would love the opportunity to win you back as a jamboner loyalist.

scott

nathanthebanker

Beach Lover
Jan 19, 2007
Just got back from jambone and I have to tell you, i can see myself hanging out there a lot more often. The atmosphere was very nice, sorta fun, relaxed, etc. The only thing i did not like is how the service of the "call up" type stuff. I was a little confused walking through the door and made it uncomfortable when people started piling in and i really didn't know what i need to do and I felt like I was holding everyone up trying to look at the menu. JMO though. On to the food:

Fried Pickles: They were perfect. they were thin, crunchy and just the right size. we LOVED those things!!! great job!

I had the 1/2 rack of ribs: they were excellent, PLENTY on the plate, don't know what i would do with a full rack. they pretty much fell off the rib. I added the fries and the coleslaw. The fries were really good, my wife couldn't keep her hands off of them. The cole slaw was "okay". not to die for but wasn't what i was there for.

Brisket plate: the brisket was pretty good. Wife really liked it. I must say, I was in El Paso for a week and we had brisket everyday of that week and I really don't have a taste for it anymore after that. But she liked it. I have to say, the ribs were much better than the brisket.

Top shelf margarita: it was okay.........wish I had a little more tequila in there. For $8.50 or something, wish it had a little teq. I should have gotten some beer anyway to go with the BBQ. The bartender was nice and service was okay.

Overall I would give you an A+. I will be back in about two weeks when the rest of the family is in town.

I would advise you guys to check it out.

ASH

Beach Fanatic
Feb 4, 2008
Roosevelt, MN
Took the little lady there for lunch yesterday. Both had the Boston Butt and it was fantastic. Portions are huge. Lots of flavor. My eyelids were sweating by the time I finished. Had to get a doggy bag that covered a snack today at home. We'll be back to try other items for sure.
The service takes getting used to as Scott said, and I was able to follow it much easier this time around.

seagrovegirl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2008
Historic Old Point Washington
Went to Jambones on Saturday for lunch. We went to a counter to order 2 plates and a free promotional pork sandwich with one side. We ordered one tea, but had to go to the bar to get Bud Lite. Ordered another side. Cost of lunch $32.00, plus cost of beer $5 + $1. tip.

The food was excellent, pork sandwich and beef brisket. The jalapeno slaw was heaven, very creamy, crisp and full of surprises...like cucumber and tomato. The fries were perfectly crisp and seasoned. The beans have a unique flavor and very good. The BBQ sauces were excellent as well.

Total cost after tip left on the table for three people was $44.00 !!!! For BBQ! Remember there was also a freebie in there...so it actually was lunch for two. And....you do not get waited on, you have to walk up to the counter and order. I don't think I will be back, even though the BBQ was excellent.