• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

ameliaj

Beach Fanatic
Jun 19, 2007
SoSpal (figure it out)/Seacrest
Last week, Mr. A and I dropped little A off at camp in NC:clap: and came down to 30A for the week. We dined at the fabulous Caliza pool on Thursday.

The pool at night is absolutely gorgeous. We decided that we felt as though we had been transported to some exotic foreign land. The restaurant is situated poolside and the front is open to the pool. Fans turn overhead, but remember to dress coolly on super hot summer nights since there is no ac.

We began our meal with the Tuna tartar appetizer. The tuna had a lovely flavor and was very refreshing. Though, the $16 cost for 2 slices seems a little pricey.

Mr. A had the Grilled whole (no head though) snapper. He is very fond of whole grilled fish. It came with a frisee salad and pomme frites. He declared it delicious, though the pomme frites were a little soggy, they were very tasty.

I had the grilled flounder chilled and stacked with a caponata. It was a lovely presentation. This dish would be an excellent choice for a seriously hot evening.

We finished up the meal with the Flourless chocolate cake. It was to die for.:love: Luckily we shared the dessert, because it was very rich.

Our service was not hurried, but came at a steady reasonable pace. Our servers were adorable young people from other countries. They did have a small bit of trouble with our southern way of speaking.

A note: When we dined, Caliza did not have a full liquor license and could only serve beer and wine. (No martinis:cry:).

Another note: Many of the dishes come with a frisee salad, frisee garnish, or frisee in some form. I'm not a huge fan of frisee. I might ask them to substitute something else next time.

We will certainly return to Caliza pool again. Next time, I think we will probably order an appetizer, split the whole chilled lobster and get a dessert. This will make our meal a little more econmical and I'll get to come back more.

We concluded our evening with a leisurely stroll back to the house.

I'm sorry to report that I did not take photos of our meal. Nancy. esq will have to forgive me. I'm not a good photographer.

seacrestgirl

Beach Fanatic
Nov 25, 2006
Griffin, GA and Seacrest
I am so thrilled to have a full review!!!! Sometimes I just imagine what an incredible ambience they must provide. I can hardly to wait until August, which is my next trip down. Glad you and Mr A had a week with just the 2 of you...

It is fabulous to have such a wonderful venue close to home (well, my 2nd home). Thanks again for a great review-----

conched out

Beach Lover
Jun 15, 2008
Sounds lovely...my husband and I had dinner at Cafe 30A the other night and stopped
by Alys Beach to check out Caliza afterwards. We just bought a home here and love to
dine out. We weren't allowed inside the locked entrance to look at the restaurant which
was a little bit odd for us. The hostess was very polite about it and the manager did give us
a menu but it kind of made us feel not very welcome..am sure the food is delicious but wouldn't
want to dine anywhere I was locked in or out !

seacrestgirl

Beach Fanatic
Nov 25, 2006
Griffin, GA and Seacrest
I believe that they are trying to create an intimate dining experience. The people of Alys are extremely welcoming! Understand that they are providing an exclusive experience. The view of the pool is supposedly worth the trouble of making a reservation!!!

elgordoboy

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2007
I no longer stay in Dune Allen
Sounds lovely...my husband and I had dinner at Cafe 30A the other night and stopped
by Alys Beach to check out Caliza afterwards. We just bought a home here and love to
dine out. We weren't allowed inside the locked entrance to look at the restaurant which
was a little bit odd for us. The hostess was very polite about it and the manager did give us
a menu but it kind of made us feel not very welcome..am sure the food is delicious but wouldn't
want to dine anywhere I was locked in or out !
I do not understand.

elgordoboy

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2007
I no longer stay in Dune Allen
I believe that they are trying to create an intimate dining experience. The people of Alys are extremely welcoming! Understand that they are providing an exclusive experience. The view of the pool is supposedly worth the trouble of making a reservation!!!
Ahh...yes. I do not want any looky-loos peering at me stuffing my face. Good policy. I'll be there in 2 weeks and a dayish.

SoWalSally

Beach Fanatic
Feb 19, 2005
http://www.waltonsun.com/articles/caliza_1623___article.html/dining_edge.html

Alys Beach has brought a new intimacy to fine dining with the opening of Caliza.

The dining experience at Caliza is alfresco, but in the shade of a portico overlooking the mesmerizing edgeless Caliza pool, there are only 10 tables and six booths on the portico.

Olivier Gaupin, director of food and beverage, created a menu centered around fresh coastal cuisine with French and Southern influences. A well-rounded selection of boutique and French wines compliment the menu.

Gaupin's artistically prepared cuisine is designed to complement the caf?'s romantic ambiance and create a special dining experience.

While the menu is not extensive, selections from sea and turf offer something for most appetites.

Appetizers of sea scallops, heirloom tomato salad, or moulard duck confit set the stage.

Entrees range from a chilled seafood sampler, grilled tilefish, snapper, fish and chips, grilled filet, New York strip, or Piedmont free-range chicken.

There are only two dessert offerings on the menu, but less is more when it's a choice between flourless chocolate cake served warm with kalhua cream or key lime pie prepared with fresh squeezed limes and topped with Italian meringue.

Caliza fine poolside dining is open Thursday, Friday and Saturday evenings from 6 - 9 p.m. Reservations are required. Call (850) 213-5700.