• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
BMBV,

You seem extremely commited to a cause, perhaps you should run for BCC and then despite an extremely ill family member you'll be able to make every single meeting. Cindy Meadows very clearly stated that during the vote she was with her mother in the hospital. I can assure you that almost any level of public servent would miss a vote if their mother was in the hospital.

BlueMtnBeachVagrant

Beach Fanatic
Jun 20, 2005
BMBV,

You seem extremely commited to a cause, perhaps you should run for BCC and then despite an extremely ill family member you'll be able to make every single meeting. Cindy Meadows very clearly stated that during the vote she was with her mother in the hospital. I can assure you that almost any level of public servent would miss a vote if their mother was in the hospital.

PLEASE see posts #16 and #19. In both I stated (and I'll state it here a 3rd time for your benefit) that I do not care that she missed the vote. Missing the vote was not the point of my question...her position (and now the lack thereof as indicated by her) was. Do you really not see that?

I believe your post (and others') is motivated by over-zealousness to condemn the messenger instead of the message as I make myself an easy target.

So with all that aside, do you not think Cindy Meadows should share with her constituents what side she WOULD have taken HAD she been there? Don't you think that a position by her for or against would impact future RFV beach access projects waiting to happen out there? THIS is the point. And this is where she skated right through without a scratch.

Did you watch or listen to the interview?

MommaJamma

Beach Crab
Jun 29, 2008
I'm new to the forum :wave: but I just wanted to say that I really enjoyed your show today. I also really liked your column and will miss them in the Sun.

I watched the show also on 30atelevision, but I had trouble with the audio, but it could have just been me...I'm not very computer literate.

Keep up the great work!

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
PLEASE see posts #16 and #19. In both I stated (and I'll state it here a 3rd time for your benefit) that I do not care that she missed the vote. Missing the vote was not the point of my question...her position (and now the lack thereof as indicated by her) was. Do you really not see that?

I believe your post (and others') is motivated by over-zealousness to condemn the messenger instead of the message as I make myself an easy target.

So with all that aside, do you not think Cindy Meadows should share with her constituents what side she WOULD have taken HAD she been there? Don't you think that a position by her for or against would impact future RFV beach access projects waiting to happen out there? THIS is the point. And this is where she skated right through without a scratch.

Did you watch or listen to the interview?

Yes, I was in fact approximately 5 feet from her during the entire interview. I don't think she owes any explanation as it is a done deal, she is leaving office, and regardless of what she would have done you can't change the past. As I stated in a previous post, since you feel so strongly about these issues I believe you should run for office. Mrs. Meadows had a very valid point that many people do complain about things, but do not attend the meetings to voice those opinions. It is very similar to people who complain about politicians, but don't vote. We would probably all do certain things differently in the past, but worrying about them endlessly takes away from today and planning for tomorrow.

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
Thanks Matt. Just finished the podcasts.

As to the other discussion, in a way, I can appreciate Cindy's response. I know I go into meetings feeling a certain way about issues, and what actually takes place at the meeting, what discussions actually happen, what answers are given, can have a profound effect on how one may or may not vote on an issue. I could see where it would be very difficult for Cindy to try take a decided position while not being present, and I am not sure that it would be fair to those that were present.

Just a thought.

BlueMtnBeachVagrant

Beach Fanatic
Jun 20, 2005
Yes, I was in fact approximately 5 feet from her during the entire interview. I don't think she owes any explanation as it is a done deal, she is leaving office, and regardless of what she would have done you can't change the past. As I stated in a previous post, since you feel so strongly about these issues I believe you should run for office. Mrs. Meadows had a very valid point that many people do complain about things, but do not attend the meetings to voice those opinions. It is very similar to people who complain about politicians, but don't vote. We would probably all do certain things differently in the past, but worrying about them endlessly takes away from today and planning for tomorrow.

I've read your responses a few times, digested them and have come to the following conclusions:

1. It is obvious to me that whatever your relationship is with Ms. Meadows has allowed her (at least in your eyes) to escape one of the biggest controversies in Walton County in her 4 years as a commissioner. And as you said, I guess since she is leaving office (but hasn't left yet), she doesn't owe her current constituents "any explanations".

2. AGAIN, yes, RFV is a "done deal"..... funny that you used those words. Someone else here on SoWal used those EXACT same words about the whole situation BEFORE the vote, implying the county had already made its mind up.

My efforts here are directed at preventing a future RFV access invasion in someone else's backyard. I guess you and Ms. Meadows don't see that as a problem or else she could have spoken up. That's not asking to much from one's commissioner, is it?

Say yes, and she upsets the developers. Say no, and she upsets the majority of the property owners.

3. You are apparently very unaware of how many people attended BCC meetings regarding RFV when you stated, "...but do not attend the meetings to voice those opinions".

You are also unaware as to the flood of emails that poured in opposing the access because the county did not follow their own zoning regulations.

4. When you said, "It is very similar to people who complain about politicians, but don't vote", well, WOW! Now you're really hitting on something. As South Walton is largely owned by out of towners, many folks who call this their second home can't vote.

You don't suppose county commissioners capitalize on this inequality, do you?

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
As Meadows is not seeking re-election, I fail to see what asking a hypothetical question about a past vote accomplishes. She can't vote on it again and since she isn't going to be in office in the future, also won't be able to vote on any similar issues.

I don't think it's a Sowal conspiracy to disenfranchise second homeowners (who seem rather vocal and not so downtrodden IMO) that you are only allowed to vote in your state/district of permanent/primary residence. :roll: