• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
There were a few new posters yesterday that seemed to be messing w/ folks on tents on the beach, real estate etc.

ASH

Beach Fanatic
Feb 4, 2008
Roosevelt, MN
There are some incredible holes in front of huge tented pavilions that have been up several days as of this morning and more seem to be coming. These people need to be educated...wish there was some printed materials I could hand out as I walk about the beach explaining the rules and reasons. Every time I try and give "advice" it becomes a confrontaqtion as if the rules are my personal mean thoughts. Several people have taken an almost physical revulsion to my approach and advice. Anything printed out there that is official and available?

Go back up to the #5 post and open the link. It is a nice color sheet easily printed off that has the sheriff office emblem on it and a FL statute number that should cease any confrontational conversation. It even has a number to call if you don't like what it says. It takes the burden off of you as it is from the County.
I'm doing this as well. I have yet to have a confrontation.

Last edited:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
..These people need to be educated...wish there was some printed materials I could hand out as I walk about the beach explaining the rules and reasons. ...

Those people would probably throw your pamphlets on the beach as litter. :bang:

ASH

Beach Fanatic
Feb 4, 2008
Roosevelt, MN
At least when they watch all their crap heading down the beach in the back of a TDC truck, they won't be able to say they didn't know.
You are so right though.....you can't fix stupid.

Fryday_1

Beach Comber
Jun 28, 2005
We have been coming to Grayton for over ten years. Last year was the first time we were told that our canopy would have to come down every night. (We did not comply) This seems a little extereme. We spend a great deal of money to come to the beach. We do not leave our trash, chairs or beach toys, but taking the canopy down everynight is a real problem. I understand the locals are wanting to "protect their beach" but they should understand that without tourist, alot of people would be out of a job in So Wal, so I think a compromise regarding the canopies is in order. I would suggest that enforcement regarding trash, chairs and toys be enforced but allow the canopies to stay up.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Why do you feel it is extreme that you need to remove your belongings from the beach overnight? Where else in the US can you leave items on public property for days on end? :dunno:

It's not locals trying to protect their beach, it's people in general trying to keep the beach clean and safe so the tourists can enjoy it.

Not only do the canopies create obstacles for nesting sea turtles, they frequently blow away or if just the frame is left up, they are hard to see when walking at night and can cause injury.

Fryday_1

Beach Comber
Jun 28, 2005
You write as though I am a novice to the beach. We take the necessary pre-cautions to make sure what you mentioned does not happen. In fact, every year for 10 years we have been using the same canopy. The locals often go down at night and use it on the beach. It is far enough back from the wet line as to not be in anyone's way but it is not in the path of the trucks and beach cleaner. As for making the beach clean, I stated we do not leave our trash or chairs. I know that I am not alone in feeling this way and we just are not going to take being told by these enviromentalist how to live our lives anymore. Enough is enough.