• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Geo

Beach Fanatic
Dec 24, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach, FL
After a year of daily direct flights to/fro Chicago and Ft. Walton Beach, American Airlines has announced that they will end this route in early September...

This is a real bummer. I used this flight for business travel to Chicago quarterly and it is a dream. I was hoping that a St. Louis direct flight would follow...

Sadly, a sign of the times...

Use it or lose it...

Besides filling the flights, is there anything that can be done to get American to reconsider? Do letters/petitions hold any weight? I suspect not but thought I'd throw it out there because it seems there are a lot of SoWallers who are airline industry savy...

Cheers,

G

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
WHAAA!!!! :cry:

Why did they cancel it? It was only 2 flights a day and full every time I flew it!

Loved that I was either 'stranded' at my car or a $12 bus ticket from my parents!

peapod1980

percy
Oct 3, 2005
Up the hill from the Gateway Arch
That stinks. Though we already know what a headache it is to get from St. Louis to Sowal via the airlines. So not worth it, such a hassle.

Geo

Beach Fanatic
Dec 24, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach, FL
well, I've never flown non-stop from Chicago.

I almost prefer PC anyway and have flown in there as often as VPS.

It is a dream. Wheels up to wheels down is under 1 hour and 45 minutes. I will be doing this flight twice next week. I wish there was something we could do...

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I loved that flight!

This will shock everyone, but I don't do well with the frustrations of connecting flight issues, delays, hours of waiting, overnight strandings, and other way too common aspects of air travel. :wave:

Rudyjohn

SoWal Insider
Feb 10, 2005
Chicago Area
Air travel is certainly changing as we speak. Daily.

We all know about the recent add'l charge for checked baggage. My son flew out of O'Hare on Delta a week ago to Massachusetts with his cello. When I made the reservation 2 months ago, we had planned on him checking his cello and then he would carry on his luggage. We were bracing ourselves for the extra charge for checking the instrument because of its size but it was at that time w/in the acceptable parameters.

Well, the ticket agent got out his tape measure (we knew this was not gonna be pretty) and because it was 3 linear inches beyond what was acceptable with their recently updated limitations, we had to pay $150 one way for his cello to fly in the belly of the plane. We even tried to buy the cello a seat on the plane, (approx. the same cost in the long run), but all seats were filled.

We had to put additional $$ on his debit card for his return flight. At the time of booking his flight, I figured I was saving $300 by checking the cello. :angry:

Flying is no longer a convenience.