• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Kimmifunn

Funnkalicious
Jun 27, 2005
Hollyhood
Flying is hell. I've been taking Virgin America on long trips to NYC. It's the only airline I can speak highly of lately.

Southwest- forget it. They lost my friend's bag from LA to Vegas. They make my blood pressure rise.

Flying out of PCB/ Ft. Walton has never been fun either. Last NYE I had to fly to Tampa/ Dallas/ Phoenix/ LAX.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
JR, you should have pitched a fit as if you bought the ticket pre-luggage charge they may not have been legally able to charge you.

I understand that they are in financial trouble (vegas has odds on which big carrier will go belly up next), but a little customer service would pay off instead of the nickel and diming. I'm waiting for the airline passenger who goes ballistic because they lost the bag they had to pay extra to check!

My personal rule is that if I can drive it in 12 hours or less (my limit for a day of solo driving) it is cheaper and easier than a plane.

Rudyjohn

SoWal Insider
Feb 10, 2005
Chicago Area
JR, you should have pitched a fit as if you bought the ticket pre-luggage charge they may not have been legally able to charge you.

I understand that they are in financial trouble (vegas has odds on which big carrier will go belly up next), but a little customer service would pay off instead of the nickel and diming. I'm waiting for the airline passenger who goes ballistic because they lost the bag they had to pay extra to check!

My personal rule is that if I can drive it in 12 hours or less (my limit for a day of solo driving) it is cheaper and easier than a plane.

IF I had been there I would have (the 3 of us and the sarcophagus can't all fit in the car). I agree with exactly what you're saying. But it was Mr. JR instead of me. He said he tried arguing but the only alternative was to either leave it behind :rotfl:or downsize :rotfl:which was impossible. He said they would not budge.

It was at 6am and I imagine it was at the end of this agent's shift. We've found that you're always at the mercy of the ticket agent. Sometimes they really don't care and allow anything to go through! :shock:

peapod1980

percy
Oct 3, 2005
Up the hill from the Gateway Arch
Flying is hell. I've been taking Virgin America on long trips to NYC. It's the only airline I can speak highly of lately.

Flying is no longer a convenience.

Ditto, ditto, ditto. I told Mr. Pod the last time we flew that the airlines have nearly killed my love of traveling, and that's saying a lot. Over the past few years, I've reached the same conclusion about driving, scooter. Only problem is, the cost of gas is now nearly prohibitive.
Kimmi, I'm still hoping to make a liar out of myself and my above statements with a trip on Virgin--somewhere, anywhere!

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Ditto, ditto, ditto. I told Mr. Pod the last time we flew that the airlines have nearly killed my love of traveling, and that's saying a lot. Over the past few years, I've reached the same conclusion about driving, scooter. Only problem is, the cost of gas is now nearly prohibitive.

Thanks to the Scootermobile's high mileage, a 12 hour road trip still costs less than $200 roundtrip for the gas so my only limitations are driver fatigue and time. :wave:

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
All our problems will magically disappear when the new Panama City Airport opens in 2010.

//Sarcasm Off//

Will B

Jan 5, 2006
Atlanta, GA

Actually, as I understand it Delta is reimbursing for the extra bag charges for people who bought tickets before the date of the checked bag fee. That's a whole separate issue from the oversized luggage, though.

Rudyjohn

SoWal Insider
Feb 10, 2005
Chicago Area
yeah, it's the over-size luggage, considered "special" luggage. :roll:

I've heard from other cellists and double bassists that this happens a lot. All of a sudden, the new rule is instated. Then sometimes, it's completely waived. I guess you could say we've always lucked out and never had to pay a fee. No damage either!!

Will B

Jan 5, 2006
Atlanta, GA
yeah, it's the over-size luggage, considered "special" luggage. :roll:

I've heard from other cellists and double bassists that this happens a lot. All of a sudden, the new rule is instated. Then sometimes, it's completely waived. I guess you could say we've always lucked out and never had to pay a fee. No damage either!!

I missed the part about the new limits. As far as I knew, that had not changed. It's the inconsistent application that breeds trouble. If you keep getting the free ride, ya kinda get used to it and, then, wham!

Putting it in a seat is always an option at whatever price that seat happens to be going for...