• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
You write as though I am a novice to the beach. We take the necessary pre-cautions to make sure what you mentioned does not happen. In fact, every year for 10 years we have been using the same canopy. The locals often go down at night and use it on the beach. It is far enough back from the wet line as to not be in anyone's way but it is not in the path of the trucks and beach cleaner. As for making the beach clean, I stated we do not leave our trash or chairs. I know that I am not alone in feeling this way and we just are not going to take being told by these enviromentalist how to live our lives anymore. Enough is enough.

Lat Saturday morning, we had to drag a canopy out of the lake that had blown down during the night. Then we had to drag a mangled canopy over to the garbage can, before somebody got tangled up in the twisted metal or it blew into the Gulf.:bang: Thanks so much for perpetuating the "pig" mentality.

JB

Beach Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
Tuscaloosa
You write as though I am a novice to the beach. We take the necessary pre-cautions to make sure what you mentioned does not happen. In fact, every year for 10 years we have been using the same canopy. The locals often go down at night and use it on the beach. It is far enough back from the wet line as to not be in anyone's way but it is not in the path of the trucks and beach cleaner. As for making the beach clean, I stated we do not leave our trash or chairs. I know that I am not alone in feeling this way and we just are not going to take being told by these enviromentalist how to live our lives anymore. Enough is enough.

Why would anyone want to sit under a canopy at night?

While I can understand it's a pain to take it down every day, it's the law. And while you obviously think you should be an exception, it just doesn't work that way. My advice is either comply, or find another county in Florida for your vacation.

Sorry to be harsh, but there just isn't any gray area here. The law doesn't except certain items (or certain people).

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Why would anyone want to sit under a canopy at night?

While I can understand it's a pain to take it down every day, it's the law. And while you obviously think you should be an exception, it just doesn't work that way. My advice is either comply, or find another county in Florida for your vacation.

Sorry to be harsh, but there just isn't any gray area here. The law doesn't except certain items.

Oh but JB, some people seem to think that if they spend enough money, they can do whatever they want.:roll:

BeachArkie

Beach Lover
Jun 27, 2008
Seagrove

Your canopy IS trash!

If it's such a pain to take down, save yourself some hassle and don't put it up at all!

Fryday_1

Beach Comber
Jun 28, 2005
I don't know why they sit under my canopy at night either, but they do and usually have their cars pulled right up to it. All I want to do is have a nice vacation. Yes I pay a lot but So Wal is worth it. It just funny to me that until just last year, no one cared that a canopy was left up over night. They were not considered "trash" then.

I waited until now to post but wanted everyone who is coming to So Wal to know, I was there last week. I left my canopy up overnight for seven days. No problems. Nothing was ever said to me and it was not disturbed or taken down. I had a great week. And I will be back next year.

ASH

Beach Fanatic
Feb 4, 2008
Roosevelt, MN
To threaten a community with your money is just plain unfair. You may think you have great numbers, but you would be incorrect. I approach people nearly every day about leaving stuff on beaches and find most simply do not know what they are supposed to do and are happy to comply. They are just glad to be here.
I say, take your money elsewhere, thank you very much. The view of a sunset will be better, we won't be picking that canopy out of any lakes. The turtles can breathe ever so slightly easier. It appears win, win. :wave:

Who gave you the right to paint all people who simply want a clean beach or that want a beach free for turtles to be able to nest as they have been for thousands of years environmentalists.
The label that is obvious is "LAZY" and you are the one showing it to the world.

Last edited:

Fryday_1

Beach Comber
Jun 28, 2005
Clearly some of you value turtles over tourist. Well I have never seen a turtle give anyone a job, but, then I have not seen everything. I just do not understand why leaving canopies up overnight has been okay for years, but now all of a sudden it is not.

As for the enviormentalist comment, I did not think it was a slur or something that would be considered an insult by people who claim to want to keep the beaches pristine and in their natural condition. It certainly is not lazy, but I in no way meant to offend.

As I stated, I have already been down for my week, sorry to say. I loved every minute of it. I do not plan to let this stop me from coming and I will be back next year.

JustaLocal

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2007
SRB
Fryday -
I'm really glad you enjoyed your visit. :D I think we've had pretty great weather this year. I met many family's enjoying the 4th of July weekend! It was great. I just love our Summer visitors.

Please keep an eye on SoWal.com before you come next year. I can tell you are unhappy with this rule. If the county gets all of it's 'ducks in a row' with the ordinance soon (as we hope and expect), you may find your canopy removed next year when you leave it overnight.

I think this will make you even more unhappy. Maybe in the meantime you can find easy to remove umbrellas to serve your beach needs. Our goal is not to run people off, but to make it nicer for everyone and the turtles too. :D

ASH

Beach Fanatic
Feb 4, 2008
Roosevelt, MN
Perhaps the canopies many years ago were a much smaller number of canopies and therefore didn't get as much attention as the greater number that are there today.
Walk out to the wet sand line at 6AM and look to either the East or West and you may begin to understand what has changed from years ago and what a growing number of people are wanting to see protected.
The changes you are feeling pains from are the same growth pains affecting many areas of the Panhandle.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Clearly some of you value turtles over tourist.
Most people here like both.

I just do not understand why leaving canopies up overnight has been okay for years, but now all of a sudden it is not.
It has never been okay, only convenient, but the situation has changed. The number of people visiting here has increased dramatically over recent years and so has the amount of stuff on the beach. I'm sure you've noticed this.

As for the enviormentalist comment, I did not think it was a slur or something that would be considered an insult by people who claim to want to keep the beaches pristine and in their natural condition.
I saw your comment about "left-wing environmentalists controlling everything". You should be thankful that people who live here and visit here love the beaches and our environment with strong passion. Otherwise it would already be ruined. I hope that you can understand that the folks who are trying to eliminate stuff left on the beaches have your best interests at heart, as well as the interests of our beaches, waters, and wildlife.

If nothing is done then one day you will come to set up your tent and you won't have a clear spot to do it.