• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Roadroo mentioned meeting this amazing photographer on another thread (which will not be named!). His photographs make you feel like you are standing right next to him- in Iraq, Haiti, Darfur....it is not always comfortable, and many of these photos will move you to tears. If you have become glassy eyed reading about what is going on in our world, these pictures will clear your eyes and make you sit up and pay attention again.

Thanks to Ben Lowy for taking and sharing these pictures, and thanks to Roadroo for letting the rest of us know about him. I hope he found SoWal restful and beautiful, since it does not look like he visits many peaceful places.

From Roadroo's post:

"I think I have one recent one to tell SOWAL since we are all in the mood. A young man by the name of Benjamin Lowy was a visiter to our area a few weeks ago. Ben Lowy is a conflict photographer for the New York Times Magazine and was here for 48 hours on a "happy assignment". I had no idea who I was talking to, just enjoyable conversations with a man I just happened to have struck up a conversation with. We exchanged thanks and hand shakes, and that was that. Upon return to my computer, I looked up his web site and his work. I was blown away from the images he has seen and captured for us and the world to see. His work provokes raw emotion. This is real life, the world we live now and the one our families inherit. This man along with so many others out there, risk everything!!! Why is there so much buzz about a over paid sportsman and manufactured pop product??? Look at this mans work and you be the judge of what media does for us and our culture.

I just tried to pick out one picture for an example, and I couldn't pick just one, so here is the website.

http://www.benlowy.com/main.php

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I'm scared to look. War is not pretty. I know that is his point -- we (unless you have family or friends in Iraq) are sitting back watching the waves roll in at the beach, totally unaware of what is happening on the ground over there.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
I'm scared to look. War is not pretty. I know that is his point -- we (unless you have family or friends in Iraq) are sitting back watching the waves roll in at the beach, totally unaware of what is happening on the ground over there.

It is not just war pictures- the tsunami pics are incredible (but sad), also the AIDS orphans.

He has some happy pics- see his Best in Show portraits from Westminster.;-)

Miss Critter

Beach Fanatic
Mar 8, 2008
My perfect beach
It has always amazed me how some artists are able to capture the soul of their subjects. A rare talent, indeed. What a blessing for him and a gift to us. Thanks.

Roadroo

Beach Lover
Oct 9, 2007
Seagrove
Thanks Jdarg for the thread. His work continues to make my eyes fog. As you mentioned, the Westminster shots of pets and owners are way to funny and uplifting.
He is in the Middle East of an unknown amount of time, but does plan on returning to SOWAL with his wife for some well deserved R&R upon his return home. Thanks again Jdarg, and to all who support his work!!

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Thanks Jdarg for the thread. His work continues to make my eyes fog. As you mentioned, the Westminster shots of pets and owners are way to funny and uplifting.
He is in the Middle East of an unknown amount of time, but does plan on returning to SOWAL with his wife for some well deserved R&R upon his return home. Thanks again Jdarg, and to all who support his work!!

How did he find this area? Did he say?