• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Mike_s, so if I trip over someone's tent guidewires, and bust my head open on their beach chairs, can I get a re-do? What about the Seaturtle which gets tangled in the guidewires or holes? What about the person who has to be rescued, but a bunch of unattended tents were in the way so rescue personnel has to go at a snails pace as they have to dodge and remove all of the crap which interfears with them getting to the person needing immediate medical attention? They don't get second chances. One season of enforcement and people will get the message. In fact, people with tents in Grayton are already getting the message, and complying without complaint. It takes only a touch more effort to change the looks from flea market to gorgeous beach. Make the effort. It is really simple.

peapod1980

percy
Oct 3, 2005
Up the hill from the Gateway Arch
However, no one knows for sure that it is abandoned so it just remains on the beach as litter until the TDC takes it away. There is currently no way for anyone to accurately know what is garbage and what is being used. Now, if it is left overnight, it is considered as litter or garbage and will be collected.
Exactly. The signs are posted, the laws are in place. Seems pretty simple--if it's left after dark, it's abandoned.
I have heard from more than one person now that the phone calls start pouring in to various offices as soon as the TDC does a sweep of the beach. Interesting, isn't it, that suddenly the lazy beachgoers then have all kinds of energy to spend on their stuff.

TreeFrog

Beach Fanatic
Oct 11, 2005
Seagrove
You know, I posted this little tidbit a while back, but I just feel compelled to repost and expand on it...

I was in Daytona on business recently, and found it stunning how empty the beach is there. Busy, but free of paraphenalia. During the day, people were out with just a minimum of stuff - coupla chairs, blanket, some sunblock, some drinks. In the evening, the beach was EMPTY. And they have a LOT of folks using that beach.

I'm so happy we have a largely trustworthy crowd of vacationers. It's part of what makes SoWal enjoyable. I'd bet most folks in Daytona expect the same you would get in any urban situation. Leave it out or leave it unlocked, and somebody will take it or mess with it. And that simple commonsense logic probably explains their clean beach.

But it also defies the rationale that "I can't schlep my stuff off the beach every day". They do it in Daytona, we can do it in SoWal too.

BlueMtnBeachVagrant

Beach Fanatic
Jun 20, 2005
For the beach to be such a peaceful place to visit and live, it certainly seems to bring out alot of angst to keep it peaceful.:dunno:
Agreed.

Same ole handful of people are the most vocal...and some are just flat out mean and proud of it when there is disagreement. Somehow I believe they don't think there's a human on the other end of the exchange.

It actually embarrases me that people here "attack" the occasional do-drop-in folks who visit the beach.

PEOPLE...you (we) will not acomplish ANYTHING by viciously attacking others to make a point here on SoWal.com. Sharing ideas is another thing.

Let the thread die....points have been made.

I now remove our stuff off the beach each night whether I have to or not.

Mango

SoWal Insider
Apr 7, 2006
New York/ Santa Rosa Beach
Agreed.

Same ole handful of people are the most vocal...and some are just flat out mean and proud of it when there is disagreement. Somehow I believe they don't think there's a human on the other end of the exchange.

It actually embarrases me that people here "attack" the occasional do-drop-in folks who visit the beach.

PEOPLE...you (we) will not acomplish ANYTHING by viciously attacking others to make a point here on SoWal.com. Sharing ideas is another thing.

Let the thread die....points have been made.

I now remove our stuff off the beach each night whether I have to or not.

and it's the same ole whiners and instigators that constantly feel the need to stir up trouble, sometimes in a passive aggressive way calling people mean for expressing an opinion. Some of them do not even visit our beautiful beach.
You certainly have had plenty to say and at times were even inappropriate and IMHO, outright mean about an issue that you cared about.

I did not see anyone get attacked on this thread, if so, I am sure there would have been intervention. There also is the report post button.

BlueMtnBeachVagrant

Beach Fanatic
Jun 20, 2005
Mango,

Your reply doesn't surprise me much. Actually it has no effect. That's because I consider myself a seasoned target here on SoWal who stands my ground.

But this gang up on the occasional visitor attitude here on SoWal for whatever reason is flat out wrong.

I'm use to it by now (being ganged up on).

You as an official SoWal moderator should try your best to elevate the dialogues that do take place.

JustaLocal

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2007
SRB

seagrovegirl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2008
Historic Old Point Washington
Has anyone considered the potential law suit if someone should get skin cancer and claim the new law made it too difficult to set up a canopy every day? How about a moral obligation to making it as easy as possible and necessary to protect people from the suns radiation while at the beach? Is the moral obligation in favor of the sea turtle? Does the aesthetic value of the water front trump a moral obligation to the health of the average vacationer? Just a thought.

Me, me,me,me,me,me,me........................................jeesh.......:blink:

Florida is the SUNSHINE State.......what are you doing here???