• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Minnie

Beach Fanatic
Dec 30, 2006
Memphis
but tents are not the answer of course. who wants to wag one of these out to a gorgeous shoreline?

Not me either, I much prefer this look.
8.1xw%20Beach%20Umbrellas.jpg

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Not me. I take only what I can carry in two hands/arms. Chair, SMALL unbrella, SMALL cooler, beach bag containing book, SUNSCREEN, cigs (yes, I pick up every stinkin' butt). If I need more liquor, that's why I bring kids...to fetch it for me.

you got it down to a fine art girlfriend. the only reason I may bring a tad more stuff is when driving the beach truck loaded with food and vino. but that's usually night time.

funny, when we do go to the beach on foot (whether here in SoWal or other Fla beaches we love to visit) we hardly take a thing besides ourselves, a towel, bottle of water, snack, and small bottle of sun block. if its very hot, we'll tote an umbrella or hire beach service. when we are in need of something else, like real food and/or alcoholic beverages, its time to head up to the beach bar or restaurant. or home for a long nap so we can get up and play some more.

wonder if tents are banned from any fla beaches yet? I have seen the effects of storms during the day or night and how they become mangled masses of litter in the water and dunes, etc.

DD

SoWal Expert
Aug 29, 2005
grapevine, tx. /On the road to SoWal
you got it down to a fine art girlfriend. the only reason I may bring a tad more stuff is when driving the beach truck loaded with food and vino. but that's usually night time.

funny, when we do go to the beach on foot (whether here in SoWal or other Fla beaches we love to visit) we hardly take a thing besides ourselves, a towel, bottle of water, snack, and small bottle of sun block. if its very hot, we'll tote an umbrella or hire beach service. when we are in need of something else, like real food and/or alcoholic beverages, its time to head up to the beach bar or restaurant. or home for a long nap so we can get up and play some more.

wonder if tents are banned from any fla beaches yet? I have seen the effects of storms during the day or night and how they become mangled masses of litter in the water and dunes, etc.

I forgot to say that if any of those kids wanna take toys, THEY have to carry them to and from. Funny, by about day 3, the toys don't make the trip. :D

Everytime

Beach Fanatic
Jul 9, 2005
Shelby County, Alabama
Every man, woman and child should have a Backpack Beach Chair from www.weareverchair.com . You wear it like a backpack, and you can stuff your beach towel into the folded-up seat, and load your book, snacks, kids' toys, and/or even a (small) boombox (not to be played loud enough for anyone to hear, of course) into the pouch section on back of the chair. You will still have a free arm or two to carry a small child and/or an umbrealla or soft cooler with a strap.

I set my alarm for 5:30-5:45 am when I'm down there, get up, take a look out at the beach, then go set up our chairs and umbrella around 6:00 am. Otherwise, the rental chair vendors (which start setting up around that time) tend to take all of the waterfront spots that were not already claimed by the PermaTents. This then gives me a couple of quiet early morning hours to sit by the shore and read without distractions (work e-mails on the Blackberry) or demands for attention (my 2-year old who insists on spending all of her beach time in Eastern Lake).

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Every man, woman and child should have a Backpack Beach Chair from www.weareverchair.com . You wear it like a backpack, and you can stuff your beach towel into the folded-up seat, and load your book, snacks, kids' toys, and/or even a (small) boombox (not to be played loud enough for anyone to hear, of course) into the pouch section on back of the chair. You will still have a free arm or two to carry a small child and/or an umbrealla or soft cooler with a strap.

I set my alarm for 5:30-5:45 am when I'm down there, get up, take a look out at the beach, then go set up our chairs and umbrella around 6:00 am. Otherwise, the rental chair vendors (which start setting up around that time) tend to take all of the waterfront spots that were not already claimed by the PermaTents. This then gives me a couple of quiet early morning hours to sit by the shore and read without distractions (work e-mails on the Blackberry) or demands for attention (my 2-year old who insists on spending all of her beach time in Eastern Lake).

Sounds good except the email part. Here's the chair link - http://www.riobrands.com/beach/chair-SC529-50.htm#50

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
For the beach to be such a peaceful place to visit and live, it certainly seems to bring out alot of angst to keep it peaceful.:dunno:

Without our angst, this place would look like PCB and Destin by next week. Since some people are starting to get the message, I think our "angst" is working. I don' think our goal of beautiful peaceful beaches is unreasonable.

Spend an early morning here pulling tents, chairs, and umbrellas out of the lake, pick up an entire large garbage bag of trash every time you go to the beach or try to take a walk on the beach at night without tripping over all this crap, and get back to us about your angst.

bdub

Beach Lover
Jan 29, 2008
trolls?????

Wait , wait ,wait a minute. This has been an interesting discussion. I happen to agree with those who espouse the "leave it like you found it" position. But this is a forum -- where ideas (even ones with which you may disagree) are discussed. No need to talk down to those who have a different opinion. Whatever happened to freedom of speech? Shouldn't this be a place where we are allowed to express any point of view -- even an unpopular one.

You dont have to call people trolls just because they dont agree with you.

Can't we all disagree without being disagreeable?

Last edited:

Gypsea

Beach Fanatic
Jul 10, 2005
Pittsburgh, PA; Watercolor
:banned: Here is what one North Carolina beach town has decided to do:

Ocean Isle Beach is one town with a new law this summer: no cabanas or tents on the beach.
The Ocean Isle Beach Board of Commissioners in September banned all canopies, cabanas and tents from the beach. Umbrellas are still permitted, and all personal items have to be off the beach at night.
Ocean Isle Beach Mayor Debbie Smith said the board of commissioners decided on the ban after cabanas were consistently left on the strand.
Smith said she has received positive and negative feedback so far about the ban.
"It's certainly not our intent to be unfriendly to our visitors at all," she said. "The intent was to protect what they're coming here to enjoy."

Last edited: