• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

John R

needs to get out more
Dec 31, 2005
Conflictinator
To misquote a famous beach movie, "We're going to need a bigger truck"

The sense of entitlement is quite strong in some; "it's too big...blather, blather." "It will fully protect one from the sun". That one was classic.

It got there somehow, that same person(s) can take it back. Take only what you need for the day. It's a pretty simple concept that the entitled refuse to acknowledge, along with the law.

And the beach ownership thing, that's another story altogether.

Savethebeach

Beach Comber
Jul 10, 2008
South Walton
There are many things that were fine in years past, that are deemed inappropriate these days. As our population grows (I'm not talking locally, but globally) we are learning to adapt our behaviours in various manners to handle this change. This happens to be a local instance of human adaptation, and it's an issue of whether our personal needs are more important that the greater good, whether for humans or for the environment.

I'm not going to argue the point except to say that during the time your family has been coming to SoWal, there has also been a huge explosion of growth, both in tourism & in new residents. In years past, it didn't make as much impact to the beach at all because there weren't tents/canopies lined up from one end to the other. They were very sparse. Now, the amount of canopies lined up makes it really hard to even understand why some people don't see why what wasn't an issue is now regarding leaving canopies and/or gear out overnight.

I am blessed to live near Topsail Preserve & only see 1 tent that actually stays up all summer.:dunno: It's right by the dunes under someone's stairs. I wonder about its necessity because I have only seen someone use it 3 times last summer & once this summer. But everyone else at that access just comes with the bare necessities & takes most everything with them. And, yes, it's more beautiful to look down the stretch of sand between there & Sandestin & see just beach with people walking on it & enjoying the view.

Even then, I'm not "anti-canopy" at all. I'm "anti-canopy left up overnight." And from the posts from those speaking up about the issue, pretty much everyone you're debating with falls somewhere within that category.

Being the fact that we are discussing an area of land that resides between land and sea, the dynamics of human behaviour affect the local environment around us even more than in other locations inland. Not to say that human behaviour everywhere doesn't affect an environment, but our actions here DIRECTLY and IMMEDIATELY affect not only the land environment (sea walls, etc.) but the marine environment (turtles, etc.) as well.

Humanity accepting responsibility in even small ways such as this to be stewards of the earth we live on is only a win-win situation for us. I'm not saying everyone should be a "left wing environmentalist" as someone put it earlier, but just take notice of the choices that each one of us can make that truly can make a difference. This is one of those choices.

BTW, the "save the turtle crowd" you're talking about are some of the most involved people in this community in all areas that you can imagine.

:wave:And that was the beautiful CityMouse with the precocious, adorable little boy. SoWallers were in attendance! BTW Mimi counted 57 people total. Usually they get 25-30.

organicmama, I want to thank you for the very nice and well written response. I know that all of us (yes, I am part of the beach lovin? group) are good people and are passionate about our beaches. Please forgive me if I offended you or anyone else, as besides this blog I have never had the slightest argument with anyone in the Grayton and surrounding areas. We beach lovers are usually a very happy group. Once the "happy" is gone then the beach will never be the same. I may disagree with a few, but I will follow the law and of course remove my canopy at night and I suggest everyone do the same, as I know that several tourist not only leave their canopy at night, but also leave litter and other items that make areas look like Sanford and Son?s front yard. So, lets move on, have a group hug and hit the beach!

JUL

Beach Fanatic
Nov 3, 2007
Madison, Alabama
At the Huntsville airport over July 4th a child was killed by a canopy collapsing during what the weather station reported as a microburst. I never would have considered a canopy/tent being so dangerous. Several others adults included were injured.
I never imagined a beach umbrella dancing down the beach either.

. . . . . .
beatdeadhorse.gif

avalon

Beach Fanatic
Apr 21, 2008
Seagrove
More people, more problems

That is it in a nutshell. We have all the tourists we need. I used to think more was better for business (selfish motive) but I have come to realise that more just brings more people who want to do business here. No real gain except in traffic and problems like beach clutter etc. It is hard to keep a good thing secret, but at some point the advertising is counter productive. Word of mouth works just fine and is all we need IMHO. I am sure the TDC is well meaning, but I would love to see us take better care of what (and who) is here already and stop endlessly searching for more, more, more. One tent on the beach did not seem so bad- one hundred and we all have a problem.

organicmama

Beach Fanatic
Jul 31, 2006
WNC
wncfarmtotable.org
organicmama, I want to thank you for the very nice and well written response. I know that all of us (yes, I am part of the beach lovin? group) are good people and are passionate about our beaches. Please forgive me if I offended you or anyone else, as besides this blog I have never had the slightest argument with anyone in the Grayton and surrounding areas. We beach lovers are usually a very happy group. Once the "happy" is gone then the beach will never be the same. I may disagree with a few, but I will follow the law and of course remove my canopy at night and I suggest everyone do the same, as I know that several tourist not only leave their canopy at night, but also leave litter and other items that make areas look like Sanford and Son?s front yard. So, lets move on, have a group hug and hit the beach!

Hmmmm, you didn't offend me at all. Thanks for your response. No worries on this end. :D

I get a bit irritated (and then let it go) when the various "camps of opinions" on this board start name-calling each other. I'm not directing that at you or anyone in particular. It's just part of the dynamics of having a small live community that also has a small virtual community. The dynamics get funky.

We also represent to the rest of the world our beach community online, so when people start calling each other "morons," "trolls," etc. I do feel that it makes SoWal look very elitist and one-sided.

txasmom

Beach Crab
Jul 11, 2008
Our stuff was taken to the dump, 2/3 of it never made it there
which caused us to feel our stuff was stolen. Rule broken, but why not charge a fine or take it to Goodwill and let us buy it back. If the problems are safety and environmental, why take our stuff and leave the box of cans we were saving to recycle on the beach????????? In Texas if we illegally park, our cars are towed and we have to pay to get them back--the bad ones aren't taken to the dump and the good ones stolen! The sentiment from some of you may be "Well, keep your stuff in Texas " I am not upset by the rule and love Florida, but my family certainly was insulted and made to feel unwelcome here by the folks at your tourist center. Why not create a revenue stream from the rule breakers instead of filling up the landfill? I just don't get that part.

fishcookies

Beach Comber
Mar 11, 2008
I was in Atlanta at the Stone Mountain Laser show this weekend, and I thought of this canopy discussion. (Stone Mtn. is a giant piece of granite which is the centerpiece of a nice park. It's famous for it's impressive summer laser show that is projected onto the face of the mountain.) For 25 years, people have gathered on the sloping hillside to spread out their blankets, eat a piece of chicken and wait for it to get dark enough for the show to start. It's a tradition. Everyone's whole purpose in being there is to get a good view of the mountainside/show. EVERYONE knows the deal is that you spread out a blanket -- it's obvious. Except there are those few (and you can spot them) who proudly set up their camp chairs right smack in the middle of the hill, effectively blocking the view of anyone within a few feet behind them. That might not seem like a big deal, but as darkness falls, EVERY SQUARE INCH of that hillside is covered with families and church groups and boy scout troops and college students trying to find a spot to sit and enjoy the show. And there sit the happy folks in their chairs, rendering unusable all that space behind them. I suppose in their world it's all about them being just a little more comfortable, and deserving their place because they got their first. (BTW, the elderly people who actually need chairs are often sitting politely around the edge of the field being considerate.)

Is it illegal to bring a chair to the show? No. Then why don't I do it? For the same reason I don't wear a giant hat and yap on my cell phone when I'm at the movies.

In my opinion, we could remove the turtle nesting question altogether and still make "our case." The beach canopies and laser show chairs may not be exactly the same, but the principle is. We're all just trying to find a nice spot where we can be wowed by the show. If I could, I would pay extra to get to a canopy-free section of SoWal beach, because I think canopies are space-hogging and make the beach look ugly. But I also realize that is only my opinion and no more valid than anyone else's. But if we would all follow the rules that are already in place and bring in our stuff, then at least we could all look forward to mornings and evenings when we could take in the view of nothing but beach and people. We were disappointed during our vacation this year that we didn't even get that.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
txasmom, are you copying and pasting from a news article or something? Seems like we read that exact paragraph in one of the other seven pages.