• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

InletBchDweller

SoWal Insider
Feb 14, 2006
Prairieville, La
This brings up a pet peeve of mine. When at the crosswalks at Rosemary Beach, pedestrians are required by law to follow the traffic signals. I have witnessed countless times when pedestrians walked onto the crosswalk when the oncoming traffic had a GREEN light. I have no problem with people crossing when there are no cars, but pedestrians DO NOT have the right-of-way when there is a traffic signal. I also have issues with drivers who stop at those same crosswalks and let people cross on a green light because the cars behind are not expecting to stop. It is very dangerous!

Oh, CCK, that is a big pet peeve of mine as well. Around 3:30 when subs are getting off work there is quite a line of traffic. Everything is rolling along nice until a person, with Starbucks in tow, decides that the world should stop just for them. Then traffic gets all funked up until the next green light...

I dont mind stopping at a crosswalk for a pedestrian but a green traffic light is just that. GREEN Where is Barney Fife when you need him??...:lol:

seagrovegirl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2008
Historic Old Point Washington
Someone correct me if I am wrong. Pedestrians do not have the right of way on 30A. There are crosswalks, to walk on if traffic is clear....and I do not mean the area with traffic signals.

If I am driving on 30A in Seaside and someone walks out in front of my car, am I to blame??? Granted, I do stop for pedestrians and watch for them and I am courteous, but it is not the law.

Getting screamed at, or flipped off by an irate pedestrian because I did not stop at a crosswalk, usually because it is too late to, really ticks me off. But I have learned to laugh at them, instead of being crude with the finger. I have found, the laughing part is unexpected and it really throws them off.

JustaLocal

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2007
SRB
Someone correct me if I am wrong. Pedestrians do not have the right of way on 30A. There are crosswalks, to walk on if traffic is clear....and I do not mean the area with traffic signals.

If I am driving on 30A in Seaside and someone walks out in front of my car, am I to blame??? Granted, I do stop for pedestrians and watch for them and I am courteous, but it is not the law.

Getting screamed at, or flipped off by an irate pedestrian because I did not stop at a crosswalk, usually because it is too late to, really ticks me off. But I have learned to laugh at them, instead of being crude with the finger. I have found, the laughing part is unexpected and it really throws them off.

I looked it up for you - pedestrians have the right-of-way:

316.130 Pedestrian obedience to traffic control devices and traffic regulations.--

7) When traffic control signals are not in place or in operation, the driver of a vehicle shall yield the right-of-way, slowing down or stopping if need be to so yield, to a pedestrian crossing the roadway within a crosswalk when the pedestrian is upon the half of the roadway upon which the vehicle is traveling or when the pedestrian is approaching so closely from the opposite half of the roadway as to be in danger. Any pedestrian crossing a roadway at a point where a pedestrian tunnel or overhead pedestrian crossing has been provided shall yield the right-of-way to all vehicles upon the roadway.
http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes...TM&Title=->2007->Ch0316->Section 130#0316.130

tistheseason

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
Atlanta, GA
STOP for pedestrians.

I don't know about Florida. But in GA it's state law to stop for pedestrians at CROSSWALKS. If they aren't at a crosswalk, than they are J-walking and they would be at fault. But either way -- if you hit them, yes they might die, but you have to live with that knowledge the rest of your life!

JustaLocal

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2007
SRB
I don't know about Florida. But in GA it's state law to stop for pedestrians at CROSSWALKS. If they aren't at a crosswalk, than they are J-walking and they would be at fault. But either way -- if you hit them, yes they might die, but you have to live with that knowledge the rest of your life!

Further in the statute it says:

(10) Every pedestrian crossing a roadway at any point other than within a marked crosswalk or within an unmarked crosswalk at an intersection shall yield the right-of-way to all vehicles upon the roadway.

There is a really funny one too:

(8) No pedestrian shall suddenly leave a curb or other place of safety and walk or run into the path of a vehicle which is so close that it is impossible for the driver to yield.

Imagine the chaos if they didn't include that statute!! :lol:

seagrovegirl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2008
Further in the statute it says:

(10) Every pedestrian crossing a roadway at any point other than within a marked crosswalk or within an unmarked crosswalk at an intersection shall yield the right-of-way to all vehicles upon the roadway.

There is a really funny one too:

(8) No pedestrian shall suddenly leave a curb or other place of safety and walk or run into the path of a vehicle which is so close that it is impossible for the driver to yield.

Imagine the chaos if they didn't include that statute!! :lol:

Georgia Statute??? These are relating to non-crosswalks..........

JustaLocal

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2007
SRB
Georgia Statute??? These are relating to non-crosswalks..........

Sorry. :blush:

I wasn't referring to GA. I was talking about my earlier post (#13) - the Florida Statute:

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=Ch0316/SEC130.HTM&Title=->2007->Ch0316->Section%20130#0316.130

So, don't suddenly leave a place of safety and run into the path of a vehicle which is so close that it is impossible for the driver to yield!! :rotfl:

Last edited:

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
It's not that it isn't annoying or illegal, it's just the paperwork when you run someone over. Remember that when your running late and someone tries to cross in front of you. I believe that the speed limits in place in Seaside, WaterColor, Rosemary, Alys Beach, and Gulf Place are all low enough (25mph) that you should be able to literally stop on a dime.

tistheseason

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
Atlanta, GA

:blink: I have to admit. . . if a driver that didn't stop for me in a crosswalk started laughing. . . . yep, that would throw me off. But come on, can't you just stop instead?

seagrovegirl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2008
:blink: I have to admit. . . if a driver that didn't stop for me in a crosswalk started laughing. . . . yep, that would throw me off. But come on, can't you just stop instead?

I DO...all the time!!!! But if you can't stop in time.............you need to read the whole thread.