• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

tistheseason

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Might the rents come down a little bit? At some points the rents can't be sooo high that businesses can't make it. I had heard in the original plan that spot was targeted to be a coffee shop -- and it's clearly desired by the poeople. But it will be hard for someone without deep pockets to manage the revenue swings (season/off season). If Starbucks can't make it. . . . .can anyone?

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Rents around here are as high as San Fransisco, but without the population numbers from which to draw. Look at the number of empty commercial places around here and you will quickly see that rents are too high for most small businesses to give it a whirl. WaterColor Crossing stores remained empty for a long time. With the purchase costs and high price for insurance, rents will remain somewhat high for most commercial units. The Rosemary and WaterColor SB locations are pretty high visibility with somewhat captured audiences, and I would think that both developments will make the rents whatever they need to be in order to get the right business move in. These developments are more unique than many commercial spots, because they may be able to write off some of the costs as community benefits, not trying to make profit on those rents, but offering services and benefits for the owners and guests. The developments will still likely get part of net or gross proceeds. No buyer wants to drive through a major development like RB or WC and see empty, closed stores. They want it to be a happening spot.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
It's gotta be the rent, not a single PC/PCB location is closing and some of those go all day without someone coming in. Oh well, that leaves us with Miss Lucille's, My Daddy's Cheescake, Hibiscus, Amavida 2 locations, Fonville press, and Wild Olives. All local and all better than starbucks anyway.

rdelong43065

Beach Fanatic
May 28, 2007
Seagrove
It's gotta be the rent, not a single PC/PCB location is closing and some of those go all day without someone coming in. Oh well, that leaves us with Miss Lucille's, My Daddy's Cheescake, Hibiscus, Amavida 2 locations, Fonville press, and Wild Olives. All local and all better than starbucks anyway.

Don't forget The Coffee House in Watercolor Crossings as well.

bsmart

brain
Aug 19, 2005
Atlanta, GA.

flspearit

Beach Lover
Dec 6, 2006
corporate coffee sucks! sorry for those that will lose their jobs...but the walmart of coffee shops (STARSUCKS) doesn't belong here...good riddance...trendy and tasteless, IMO:D

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Let us remember that Starbucks has provided jobs and benefits to our friends and neighbors. More business closings in SoWal is not a good thing, no matter what you think of the business.