• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

ktschris

Beach Fanatic
Nov 18, 2004
St. Louis
Good points...no, I have not gone through a whole rental season. Bought the house in May...closed in June. Previous "upside down" owners were cash straped apparently, so they really didn't do much at all to make the property desirable to renters. We have changed all that with a total redecorating and upgrades as I mentioned.

I really appreciate the insight. I may see what 2009 holds first.

Contact kurt about professional pictures and a virtual tour. Professional pics make a huge difference in setting your home above the others.

peapod1980

percy
Oct 3, 2005
Up the hill from the Gateway Arch
We, too, are intentional non-pool renters. My feeling has always been if you're going to the beach, go to the beach! Swimming pools are a dime a dozen back home, so why pay a premium for one on vacation? I might consider offering another, far less expensive perk like free beach set-ups for weekly rentals, free movie rentals, etc. Play up all the improvements you've made to the rental by highlighting them in the rental description, and have great photos and/or a virtual tour as ktschris suggested.
Best of luck to you!

When we rented, we always wanted a private pool. We got so tired of community pools where a baby would poop in the pool and the pool would be closed for 24 hours. We come to the beach for the beach, but after the beach we just like to chill at the pool. Also, I hate having to stake out a lounge chair at a community pool. And it's tacky to put your towel on a chair and then leave for 4 hours. I also like being able to leave all of my stuff at the pool and not have to take it back and forth every time I go in and out. Plus it's closer to the bathroom and you don't have to take a cooler to the pool -- you can just step into the house for a drink.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Since your renters have access to a community pool, I wouldn't waste the $ to put in a private pool (which will then cost $ to clean and maintain and probably up your insurance costs.)

My big criteria for rentals are cost, location (how close to beach and restaurants etc), cleanliness, and overall attractiveness/amenities.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
When interviewing a prospective rental company ask the following question:

Can you guarantee me rentals?

If they answer yes, get up and walk out they are lying. No one can guarantee rentals regardless of the amenities, features, and location of your rental. If they hem and haw around the question take note. If they give you the honest answer of they will do their best, but cannot guarantee any rentals you have a more level headed honest rental company.

KISH7374

Beach Fanatic
Jul 13, 2005
CLEVELAND,OHIO
We have always come down with large groups and a private pool is a must. All of our group love the beach but some would rather swim in the pool then the gulf. My wife will go into the gulf only knee deep but loves the pool. It is a great relaxer after being in the gulf.

tistheseason

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I like access to a community pool but have never rented anything with a private pool. I've always worried about the safety with little ones. A pool can be a huge deal for people with little, little ones. It's easier to be in a pool with kids that can't swim than the Gulf. But your community pool would be fine for that. I would imagine that the increase in rentals would not be worth the expense. Plenty of houses stay rented w/o a private pool -- just work on the marketing end! Good Luck!

bcliles

Beach Comber
Jul 4, 2006
We have rented down here since 2002 and a private pool is a must for us. We love the beach but with little ones get tired pretty quickly. We don't like 'sharing' our pool so we don't really consider a house with community pools. I agree with a previous poster that the convenience of having a pool just steps out the backdoor is great.

On another note....We absolutely love your beaches and communities here. We want you all to keep your area secret from now on. I can't believe the growth in the past 6 years!

We are headed down sat (july 26). We are so excited!

Mermaid

picky
Aug 11, 2005
Take the advice of any property management company with a grain of salt. We were told that we'd have to have a king-sized bed to attract the most rentals. Since we had a perfectly good queen we disregarded the hint and our rentals have never suffered.

I'd say Kurt's virtual tour would be a far better investment. We've never regretted having one and it's always brought favorable comments from our guests.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Another thing to consider with adding a pool is if your previous renters would pay the premium. Not based on wether they like the idea of a pool, but would they pay the additional amount or simply find an alternative. Ultimately if this is a second home and then a rental, do you want a pool? Go through your guest book and see if anyone has ever mentioned wanting a private pool.