• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Seeker1

Beach Lover
Jun 12, 2008
In regards to her acting like royalty I have never found that to be true. From reading her bio she passed out the other night at the Emerald Coast Realtor’s Association Forum I see she worked her way up through the ranks beginning as a teachers' aid to where she is now.
If you disagree with the school grading system and FCAT, call Tallahassee, they created it!! Agree with FCAT or not, our district seems to look good statewide. Based on Ms. Hutchinson’s own words from the Emerald Coast Realtor's Association forum the other night her platform to improve the WCSD is to have an open door policy, return phone calls, and work like a "team". Those are management techniques, not educational strategies, so if you want an educator with strong management skills vote for Anderson, if you want a Secretary vote for Hutchinson.

After trying to keep up with school teams and visiting other schools in the district (whew very tiring too) to support the programs, I observed several areas of two schools in particular that were very unhealthy. After checking and being informed from students and families they tried to get something done I thought I could do the same. One school was the Paxton School. There was a whole wall of student lockers in nearly ankle deep water days after a rain. Students were forced to walk in these puddles to get to lockers and some classes. The principle promised it was going to be fixed soon. Next season it was the same way. A call to anderson twice resulted in no return phone call. A letter about the problem was left for her at her office resulting in no response as well. make any excuse. She failed there. By the way. Im told the new addition was built and now the kids call the locker wall Lake Anderson when it rains.

I observed a teacher using a few words towards three students in front of freeport high last year. I cant say I blame her but, IM not a teacher. Teachers should use more restraint under any circumstances. When I phoned the principle I was advised they were aware of the problem but tenure carries more weight and not to hold my breath. At last! Somone honest!!!!

In regards to andersons employment history, so what. its common place to see people climb a ladder during a carreer. I encourage everyone to do that if that is their goal.

And yes I completely disagree with the school grading system. Spending week after week preparing students for a test that grades the school is a jaded grading system. anderson acts as if she is responsible for the "a" school ratings. As I said before, she didnt design it but she sure enjoys the ride.

Now, your comment on Hutchinsons promise of an open door policy, to return phone calls and work like a team. You think those goals are secretary qualities. Then you relate that these are management techinques and not educational strategies. Anderson has every opportunity to advertise. Where is she? and when she does, will people verify and validate her claims? Not as long as we have a-rated skools!

Well, I remember anderson saying these very same things when she ran.
A-school based on jaded scoring? Not returnng calls? Childrens health ignored? Cussing teachers?

All provable? Unfortunately not. Was I the only to experience this? I dont think so. Could she have delegated responsibility? Of course! Is she known for that among her peers? Nope.
Re elected? Most probably. My vote? No.

Last edited:

itsme

Beach Comber
Jul 18, 2008
Seeker, I thought you disliked her, I really think you hate her no matter what she has done. There are 1100 people that work for the school district. Could you keep that many people in check all the time? Maybe you could. I know I would not be able too. I share your views on FCAT, but as a former poster said earlier call your governor. Tallahassee sets these rules not Mrs. Anderson.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
The parents I have talked to tell me they have never had a problem communicating with Carlene Anderson or her office- phone calls have been returned, meetings were scheduled, etc.

I have noticed on the school level that parents who are firm, persistent and pleasant get faster results when they have an issue than parents who charge in screaming and demanding. I am sure this is true at the superintendent's level as well. The 'anecdotal" aspect of parent satisfaction with a school and school system makes it hard to measure the actual satisfaction level of the parents - disgruntled people always have stories (their side) and satisfied people are not so vocal.

butter

Beach Crab
Jul 24, 2008
In response to the growth in our schools over the past 4 years....this is because of the many mandates from the state which require our children to be bombarded with difficult material......our parents, students, teachers and aides are responsible for this growth. They are the ones who work each and every day - not someone who is sitting in an office.

CK1

Beach Lover
Jul 20, 2007
Let me just say that I have been in the county since my daughter was 2 years old and was very involved in the school system during most of those years. Long before had schools in SoWal other than Bay Elem., the children had to ride the "big cheese" across the bay every day. No one was talking about schools "across the bay." The middle school at that time was the "worst." I had to send my child to a private school so she could get a good education. I said all that to say this about our Superintendent Carlene Anderson, she "Rocks!" She has really brought our schools along way and is the absolute best Superintendent we have had in this county in the 26 years I have been here.

Those people that are complaining about her or are afraid for their jobs are probably not doing their job to the best of their abilities and Carlene will not put up with anything less. These children are our future and just be glad that the Walton County School System has someone of her caliber that is truly passionate about the education of our children. And be thankful that you do not have to spend your hard earned money on a private school.

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
For me, the choice for superintendent is very, very clear. During Carlene Anderson's four years as superintendent, we have witnessed our school district evolve into one of the top 5 performing districts in the state of Florida. We have come a long way in a short amount of time. My thoughts are, that we will become number one in the state in the very near future. With that being said, let's give Ms. Anderson the opportunity to continue being our superintendent.

Respectfully,
Rocketman.....

I am a bit confused on this top 5 performing statement. I have really been trying to nail this down since reading it and the only thing I can find is that we are 5th in percentage of schools earning an A grade in the last period. School grades have more to do with how you move the bottom 25% up more than anything else. The schools north of the Bay are still failing to meet AYP, and I believe even the FCAT scores at WHS showed that 40% of the 10th graders are not reading at grade level. I believe this has a lot to do with failing to challenge the mid-top students.

Romeosmydog

Beach Fanatic
Nov 6, 2007
here
The middle school at that time was the "worst." I had to send my child to a private school so she could get a good education.

Could you clarify what middle school you are talking about here? thx.

Seeker1

Beach Lover
Jun 12, 2008
oh nooooooooooooo

I am a bit confused on this top 5 performing statement. I have really been trying to nail this down since reading it and the only thing I can find is that we are 5th in percentage of schools earning an A grade in the last period. School grades have more to do with how you move the bottom 25% up more than anything else. The schools north of the Bay are still failing to meet AYP, and I believe even the FCAT scores at WHS showed that 40% of the 10th graders are not reading at grade level. I believe this has a lot to do with failing to challenge the mid-top students.
oh my god....Did it finally happen? I think I have blown a fuse........robert and I actually see the same thing!
In all these years I never............lol. Robert if only you knew, youd laugh too.
You may have earned my family support.
I can give an rats butt if she is respected and liked by her peers and subordinates. Lets get something going for these kids. If not, then we have all failed them.
FCAT reflects something is failing. Do we have to wait for the fcat again to be aware of this? If Anderson is to be relected, are we destined for the same? Or will she be prompted to try something new and innovative to prepare these kids for a future?
Anderson.......you have a choice to make for these kids......
Prepare them to make history, or witness it. As the scholastic leader its your responsibility too.

Seeker1

Beach Lover
Jun 12, 2008
yikes

Seeker, I thought you disliked her, I really think you hate her no matter what she has done. There are 1100 people that work for the school district. Could you keep that many people in check all the time? Maybe you could. I know I would not be able too. I share your views on FCAT, but as a former poster said earlier call your governor. Tallahassee sets these rules not Mrs. Anderson.

I just disagree with her and her methods in certain issues. I dont dislike her nor do I hate anyone at all. Hate is a destroyer. Over all she is responsible for all her people good and bad.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
oh my god....Did it finally happen? I think I have blown a fuse........robert and I actually see the same thing!
In all these years I never............lol. Robert if only you knew, youd laugh too.
You may have earned my family support.
I can give an rats butt if she is respected and liked by her peers and subordinates. Lets get something going for these kids. If not, then we have all failed them.
FCAT reflects something is failing. Do we have to wait for the fcat again to be aware of this? If Anderson is to be relected, are we destined for the same? Or will she be prompted to try something new and innovative to prepare these kids for a future?
Anderson.......you have a choice to make for these kids......
Prepare them to make history, or witness it. As the scholastic leader its your responsibility too.

FCAT is a dam* test that Florida public school kids have to take- in fact, most states have this type of test system. Anderson didn't invent it, but like it or not, she and any superintendent does have to make sure her county is prepared for the test. I agree that our top 25% needs to be challenged- and maybe some more parents can step up with suggestions and support. It is the same old story- lots of griping, not a lot of helping.