• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Mr. Kitty will just have to plug in the coffee pot. Although, he and Molly would take a walk over every morning together. The best was when Ceruleans sold coffee in the morning....they always had a dog biscuit for our girl.

I am curious how the Uptown Grayton location will handle the extra parking traffic for the addicted?[/quote]

On Saturday mornings, when tourists are getting their coffee for the road, they park in the Banktrust drive through lanes. IN THE ATM LANE TOO. One lady actually seemed put off that I asked her to move- I was trying to go through the ATM drive through!!:bang:

peapod1980

percy
Oct 3, 2005
Up the hill from the Gateway Arch
We agree a local company may have difficulty moving into these locations and make it work with the rents they are asking. We are not closing. We simply found that the majority of our business is morning through lunchtime and evenings aren't worth staying open for. If you are going to be a displaced "Bucks" Customer, please come try The Coffee House. We are located at Watercolor Crossing (next to publix) and have all your favorite coffee and espresso beverages. David goes in every morning and bakes our muffins, scones, cookies, biscuits, and croissants. Our breakfast sandwiches are fantastic and we also have a full line of made to order deli sandwiches and paninis made with Boars Head meats. Our coffee and espresso comes direct from Kaldi's Coffee Roasting Company in St. Louis and we are sure you'll love it!
Thanks for the info, Coffee House. And thank you for using Kaldi's! ;-)

amavida

Beach Lover
Nov 5, 2006
Seaside & Rosemary Beach
Independents on 30A

At Amavida, we are sorry for the employees for losing their jobs.

As a retailer in the community, we understand the issue of high rents and seasonal shifts in business.

We import Fair Trade/Organic coffees directly from our farmers around the world and roast them here in our local community. We are also a reseller/distributor of coffee house products. Because of this business model, we can operate on a similar par with national chains.

With all of this said, it is challenging for independents and national chains alike. On 30-A, we have a high density of coffee houses relative to the population and one has to sell a large volume of coffee house products to make end meet.

Coffee houses are not an exception in our community. Many of our other businesses struggle as well. With that in mind, I believe it is important and necessary for our community to recognize the importance of buying from an independent. It is important to keep our community healthy and unique.

For starters, independents buy local services and the money stays in the community. Legal services; accounting services; graphic art services; signage; insurance services; copier services; websites; cabinet makers; food products; among many are products and services that independents spend their money on locally.

In addition, independents tend to buy from other independents because they understand and share the same issues and values. Independents also serve on our schools boards, coach our athletic teams, and fight for our environmental rights, and are some of the best supporters for charity events in the community. Hence they are integral and important to great communities. Independents live in the community and have a "natural-vested" interest in the community.

We have wonderful independents in our community and it would be very sad if we lost our unique character. Every time we travel to Pier Park to buy a gift or travel to Grand Boulevard to eat at a national chain, we weaken the community a little bit more.

With all of this said, rents are high for independents, but we also need the community to recognize how important it is to purchase locally. As individuals we need to weight the our purchaing choices individually for ourselves and the future of our community.

Recommended Readings and Thinkers:

Business Alliance for Local Living
http://www.livingeconomies.org/

American Independent Business Alliance
http://www.amiba.net/

The Small-Mart Revolution by Michael Schuman

rdelong43065

Beach Fanatic
May 28, 2007
Seagrove
[/quote] On Saturday mornings, when tourists are getting their coffee for the road, they park in the Banktrust drive through lanes. IN THE ATM LANE TOO. One lady actually seemed put off that I asked her to move- I was trying to go through the ATM drive through!!:bang:

Those pesky tourists are at it again!

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Im not sure what you are saying, which one doesnt have any business? The only one i know of in PC is by the mall, it should be doing good because of location even though they should have a drive thru there. Please tell me which one doesnt do good because Im curious. Like I said the Pier Park one is booming, one of the busiest in NW Florida i was told. I also read a article that said the 5 guys there was the busiest in America, even more than the original in DC.

I wasn't saying that they didn't have any business, it just seemed odd that PC/PCB have so many and not one was considered for closure. Pier Park has 3 :eek: and I can guarantee you that once the season is over their sales will take a dive. I've never encountered a snowbird in a Starbucks or any coffee house for that matter. I guess it's just a matter of rents or a short sighted cost saving measure on Starbucks part.

jamnolfin

Beach Lover
Mar 6, 2007
I wasn't saying that they didn't have any business, it just seemed odd that PC/PCB have so many and not one was considered for closure. Pier Park has 3 :eek: and I can guarantee you that once the season is over their sales will take a dive. I've never encountered a snowbird in a Starbucks or any coffee house for that matter. I guess it's just a matter of rents or a short sighted cost saving measure on Starbucks part.

Theres 2 in Pier Park, 1 on the boardwalk and the one in target. Even though I live in Inlet beach, I own a condo at Calypso across from pier Park. I pretty much live in the Destin to Hathaway bridge area, as I use one area as much as the next. People in PCB hate to be lumped with Panama City, most of them wont go over there unless they absolutely have to.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Theres 2 in Pier Park, 1 on the boardwalk and the one in target. Even though I live in Inlet beach, I own a condo at Calypso across from pier Park. I pretty much live in the Destin to Hathaway bridge area, as I use one area as much as the next. People in PCB hate to be lumped with Panama City, most of them wont go over there unless they absolutely have to.

Oh I know, I lived in PC/PCB for 10 years and that bridge is like the Alps. :roll:

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Mom and I were discussing the nationwide closures of Starbucks and I told her it was because they built too many, too close together ................. then pointed out that just during our 20 minute drive from dinner to the house we would pass 4 or 5 Starbucks as well as many independent coffee houses.

I'd much rather have a Miss Lucille's, Amavida, or Coffee House than a Starbucks anyway! :wave:

organicmama

Beach Fanatic
Jul 31, 2006
WNC
wncfarmtotable.org
Mom and I were discussing the nationwide closures of Starbucks and I told her it was because they built too many, too close together ................. then pointed out that just during our 20 minute drive from dinner to the house we would pass 4 or 5 Starbucks as well as many independent coffee houses.

I'd much rather have a Miss Lucille's, Amavida, or Coffee House than a Starbucks anyway! :wave:

ITA, they also put them RIGHT next to indie's, which always frustrates the heck outta me. When Cerulean's was open, I'd head there rather than go to Starbucks at Watercolor

The only place Starbucks are needed is driving through AL, where I can never seem to find a coffee shop & the Krispy Kreme in Dothan has crappy coffee.:D

JUL

Beach Fanatic
Nov 3, 2007
Madison, Alabama
That stinks! I really like the sitting on their comfy chairs on the sidewalk and drinking my venti latte. Do you think they will leave the comfy chairs? I liked the coffee Beach Java served. It is also gone.