• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

baybabe

Beach Comber
Jan 31, 2008
Children Caused a Massive Breach of a Coastal Dune Lake, Draper Lake, July 17th.

I happened to be walking on the beach and came upon the breach at Draper Lake shortly after it started. Apparently a few children were digging a trench between the lake and the Gulf when all of a sudden the lake breached. The pictures I have enclosed show the force of the break.

Several children then later decided to ride the "waves" and the force was so strong it pushed them out into the Gulf for about 150' yards. There were rip tides and flags flying that day. The life guards were notified initially but the breach was so swift that there was no stopping it. So the lifeguards were not present at this stage, as there was nothing they could do to stop it.

When the children began riding the waves and were swept out, the lifeguards arrived again and began to swim out to them. South Walton Fire and Rescue also arrived. But a man with a kayak had already jumped in, and began paddling toward for the children and hauled them onto the kayak safely.

One Fire and Rescue official was heard on the radio saying the breach was draining the whole lake. On my return the next day, the lake was at a much lower level and the breach was still flowing but at a much slower rate of speed.

My question is: What does this do to the ecosystem in the lake when it was such a drastic break and such a large breach? And not caused by large amounts of rainfall? The width of the breach was a least 40-50 feet at the widest, if not wider.

Also: What about the safety of people when the breach is caused by unknowing children or adults? I wonder if there should be signs posted for that kind of dangerous behavior started by a person or persons, resulting in a possibly life threatening situation, especially for children?

It was a spectacular site to see a lake breach so violently right before my eyes| But it could have been a very dangerous situation considering the force, the strength, and the power of the rushing water.

baybabe

Beach Comber
Jan 31, 2008
img00021.jpg

img00024.jpg

img00019.jpg

img00018.jpg

img00017.jpg

NotDeadYet

Beach Fanatic
Jul 7, 2007
The dune lakes are meant to open and close, but they are meant to do it on their own. It's illegal, what the kids did, but it used to be common practice around here, especially Eastern and Western Lakes.
I think it is hard to say what the effect on the ecosystem is. You would need to know what level the lake usually is at when it opens naturally and a whole lot of other data. There are folks around that know most of that about some of the other lakes, but I don't know if anyone has much past data on Draper. :dunno:
Great photos, thanks for posting!

I bet those kids were surprised. :eek:

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
It will continue until the day one child or more are killed...then maybe someone will take note.

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
It will continue until the day one child or more are killed...then maybe someone will take note.

Never thought I'd be saying this, but I am beginning to think every visitor to sowal needs a permit (with training). How do people come up with so many "ideas" to harm themselves and others?