• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

bdub

Beach Lover
Jan 29, 2008
I just arrived for a week at our place --- looking forward to taking the kayak out to nearby Camp Creek Lake. I was surprised to see new barriers erected in the area next to the 30A bridge where people have been launching for years. I even snapped a few pictures with my iPhone.

I'm not sure you can get in any more. Does anyone have any ideas about access rules around the lake? How much right of way belongs to the public? As you can see, the break where everyone slips in to the water is now very difficult --- if not impossible -- to reach.

NotDeadYet

Beach Fanatic
Jul 7, 2007
I don't remember all the details, but I think it was discovered upon investigation that that launch site is in fact on private property. Probably the fence runs along the end of the county easement. However, you can launch your kayak from a county-owned lot on Camp Creek Road. It is on the east side of the lake, north of 30A. I haven't been there in a while, so I am not sure if it is well-marked or not. Maybe someone else will come along and update us.
There were some plans in the works to upgrade the lot into a sort of park.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
According to the Plat, that elongated strip of land bordering the Lake, is noted as "SRD Easement," and I have no idea what that means, but it doesn't appear to belong to any single property owner. Also, according to the parcel map with aerial photo overlay, there should be enough room to get into the Lake on the County Right of Way, but that overlay is not precise.

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
SRD is what the Fl. Dept of Transportation used to be called...State Road Department...eons ago.:lol:

mikecat adjuster

Beach Fanatic
Oct 18, 2007
Seagrove.
www.myspaceherspace.com
I noticed holes dug the last time I was there, wondering what it was for. Now I know. I enjoyed the lake and will have to find the other access point mentioned here on Camp Creek rd. Other than the oyster shells scratching the bottom of my boat, this place was perfect.

NotDeadYet

Beach Fanatic
Jul 7, 2007
Now that I think about it, is there an Oak St over there on the east side of the lake? If so, it is on Oak, not Camp Creek Rd.

bdub

Beach Lover
Jan 29, 2008
well, I did a little exploring after lunch and found an unmarked dirt road off of Camp Creek Road. At the end of the road (two ruts really) I found a number of kayaks -- and a path leading down to the water. It was rough -- very rough -- and steep.

I'm not sure that I could get my kayak down there without a lot of help.

The thing about the easement near the bridge is that it was about a block and a half from my house. I just put my kayak on a couple of roller wheels that attach to the bottom and rolled it down to the water.

I think the owners there are upset because SOME people back small boats and trailers down in there -- and simply leave them there while they fish. I came down to kayak one day and could not get in because a pick up and trailer were simply left at the launch site. Very poor manners. There is always someone who comes along and wrecks it for the rest of us.

I don't know what I'll do now. My kayak is one of the bigger ones (because its owner is a rather hefty fellow). It's not like I can just lift it over my head and muscle it down to the water.

I did notice that there is a little gap between the private property markers and what appears to be a state marker of some kind. Maybe just big enough for a kayak to slip in. I just want to make sure that there is not a big deputy sheriff waiting on me when I return from paddling around the lake. .

bdub

Last edited:

NotDeadYet

Beach Fanatic
Jul 7, 2007
So after I read your last post, I drove over there. You did find the place. Once there, I remembered where the "Oak St" came from. That is actually a platted road called Oak St.
I put in there with another woman a few years ago, and we helped each other take out again. You are right, it is steep.
The Coastal Dune Lake Advisory Board was looking at developing this, literally years ago. A low key project to make it easier to launch, and to cut down on erosion from folks scrambling up and down. I see nothing has been done since. :dunno:
Another lost recreational opportunity.

Joyce Owen

SoWal Staff
Oct 8, 2007
SoWal.com
The CDLAB was working on public accesses and the Oak St site was included. Folks from St. Joe were going to help develop it, but then the market went south and that was that.
The access by the bridge was also a point for some misguided jet skiers a couple of years back. I think every resident on Camp Creek called the sheriff. My DH went down and advised them it was illegal to jet ski and they vamoosed.
still, the lake is too beautiful not to be enjoyed, by those who take care not to abuse the privilege.