• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

bdub

Beach Lover
Jan 29, 2008
I'm still hoping that that someone can give me some firm answers about exactly where the state easement ends. How do we know that the land owner has it right?

The land owner clearly has the right to protect what is his or hers -- but shouldn't the general public be able to use state easements to access such a wonderful natural resource? I assume the land owners do not own the lake.

These dune lakes are so amazing -- those who are willing to abide by reasonable rules shouldn't be denied the the opportunity to access them. How bout it Walton County? Anything our community leaders can do for us here?

Bdub

bdub

Beach Lover
Jan 29, 2008
Having a good rolodex is everything. I can report that Walton County officials will inspect what has been done to make sure the landowner is acting properly. I'll get back to you when I find out what they learn.

bdub

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Depends on how long that access has been open, squatters rights may apply and the signs, posts, and ropes might be able to be removed. Many accesses have been closed off in an attempt to void the rights of the public and allow owners to develop on what are historically public accesses.

bdub

Beach Lover
Jan 29, 2008
Thanks SWGB

This is my hope. I did find reference to some property lines over there being replatted at the county commissioners meeting February 28,2006. But my internet skills are not good enough to figure out if this is the lot.

The property owner has rights here. But the public may have an overriding interest. The good news is that it's been looked into very quickly. The longer those lines are allowed to stay up -- the more likely they will stay up forever.

Like the beach access issue, there is something sad about this movement to impinge on the public's long-standing access to the wonderful natural resources in this region.

I'm sure the landowner has a different view of this -- but it runs counter to the laid-back -- everybody gets along attitude that South Walton County has always been famous for.

bdub

tsutcli

Beach Fanatic
Jan 14, 2008
Seacrest
One of the posts had it right when he/she said a couple of bad actors ruins things for everybody. I live not to far from this access and there are many times I have seen trucks and cars left on the access. Knowing how some people are I wouldn't be surprised if trash were left behind as well.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Perhaps some big ol' rocks could be the solution - keep folks from driving/parking but far enough apart that a person or kayak could slip through.

Reading between the lines it definitely seems that they got fed up w/ folks misusing the area - once again a couple arseholes ruined it for everyone!

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I'm still hoping that that someone can give me some firm answers about exactly where the state easement ends. How do we know that the land owner has it right?

The land owner clearly has the right to protect what is his or hers -- but shouldn't the general public be able to use state easements to access such a wonderful natural resource? I assume the land owners do not own the lake.

These dune lakes are so amazing -- those who are willing to abide by reasonable rules shouldn't be denied the the opportunity to access them. How bout it Walton County? Anything our community leaders can do for us here?

Bdub
The question is, Who is the property owner? That large, Lake Front parcel I marked as the easement is not owned by a single person, as far as I can tell. Looking at the original plat of that sub-division, I also cannot tell whether it was a part of that property being sub-divided. If it was a part of that sub-division, it would not be an easement for public use, according to the wording on the plat. However, as someone noted, there may be a history of Customary Use, which may indeed open it for public use, since it was only recently that it was trying to be protected. I have a feeling that the area roped off, was done so by one person, who didn't want people down there, rather than the owner of record. (just my gut feeling)

bdub

Beach Lover
Jan 29, 2008
Smiling Joe --

You are a fount of information. Can you point me in the direction of that plat information? I think you are on to something. If that little neighborhood is like my little neighborhood there is probably a home owners association. I wonder if they are involved or aware.

The guy who was putting up the barricade was an older gentleman wearing overalls. He was just wrapping up on Sunday afternoon when I first noticed it.

bdub

bdub

Beach Lover
Jan 29, 2008
I have heard back from county officials -- and though there are still some i's to be dotted and t's to be crossed -- it appears this barricade will ultimately be removed.