• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

thoms

Beach Comber
Jul 15, 2007
Mississippi
Hey all, I'm about to make a trip down to Grayton Beach and was wondering how the fishing has been in the surf. Any info about what kind of fish are being caught, what tactics have been successful or just a report on the presence or lack there of (hopefully)of june grass would be appreciated. Even if you don't fish and just saw somebody fishing when you were on the beach, I would love to hear about it so i can get an idea of how things are going down there. Thanks!

polo

Beach Comber
Jul 15, 2008
Surf fishing in So Walton and Okaloosa Counties

I have been out trying to fish in the surf three times since the 4th of July in Topsail Hill Preserve State Park and on Okaloosa Island just west of the Destin bridge and the June grass was terrible. The last time was last week on Wednesday and all three times I left after only one hour. Prior to that I was having good luck fishing from Topsail's beach with live sand fleas and catching Pompano, two large Redfish, as well as a few Ladyfish, of course. I intend to head back out as soon as the June grass clears so if anyone has any more recent information please post for us. Thanks.

polo

Beach Comber
Jul 15, 2008
I was just down to Topsail Hill Preserve State Park earlier this week and the currents caused by Hurricane Dolly had brought in plenty of June grass again. Can anyone tell us if it has gone away again yet?

Polo

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
I was just down to Topsail Hill Preserve State Park earlier this week and the currents caused by Hurricane Dolly had brought in plenty of June grass again. Can anyone tell us if it has gone away again yet?

Polo

I was at Grayton yesterday and the grass is certainly thinner. Thinner is relative, however-there is still plenty enough to muck-up your line.:bang:

D

daffy duck

I was there this morning and I can tell you it is a lot better than what it was.

polo

Beach Comber
Jul 15, 2008
I was back at Topsail yesterday (30 July) and it certainly is better but still very aggravating, especially when the surf is up. I was only fishing in the slough on the beach side of the sand bar about 20 yards out and a 3-oz pyramid sinker wasn't even close to holding the line in place once a little grass got on it. About the only thing I can say is that there was less to clear off the line when I reeled it in.