• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Kirkus

Beach Comber
Nov 29, 2005
Colleyville, TX
Just a week away from our 10th annual trip to SoWal, and I'm looking for your help again for restaurant recommendations. Our usual haunts (in no particular order) are Red Bar, Cafe Thirty-A, 331's (has it finally closed?), Bud & Alley's, and just because I need a crab fix and it's an annual tradition, Bayou Bill's (east). For lunch, we add Taco Bar, Tarpon Club, and a pile of shrimp to take home and steam from Goatfeathers. Used to enjoy the old Shades in Seaside as well as Hurricane Grill when it was there. Last year, we also added that new place on the circle in Seaside that is similar to the old Fermentations and owned by a super nice guy who's name I don't recall. Sat outside and talked with him and another nice guy (on a mortorcycle) who was co-owner of Cafe Thirty-A? A chardonnay induced Alzheimer's kept me from remembering their names or the name of the restaurant.

This year, I'm adding Stinky's from all the great comments I've read. Obviously absent are the terrific, but slightly too fancy (always felt like I needed to tuck in my T-shirt ;-)) Criolla's, Fish Out of Water, etc. The theme here I guess is excellent food in a Red Bar/Beachcombers environ. So can you help me out? I'm always willing to rotate a few new ones in and old ones out. B&A's seems to always be on the bubble, but then I come out and get sentimental - still, the exclusion of the BBQ shrimp from the downstairs menu a couple of years ago is unforgivable.

Thanks and see you soon!

shakennotstirred

Beach Fanatic
Jan 5, 2005
Pittsburgh, PA
Unfortunately, the 331 is closed.

You won't be disappointed with Stinky's. A couple other suggestions:

D&K's in Grayton
Amore Pizza in Gulfplace
Smiling Fish Cafe in Gulfplace - I've only had lunch there but I think they are open one evening for dinner.

Enjoy your vacation!

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
bayou bill's in PCB is still up and running, but the one in SoWal burned to the ground

If you like BBQ, you have to try Jambone's, on hwy 98, 1 mile west of Hwy 393 intersection. Salty Dog's is also great for a big ole burger, beer and music. (local dive). Hurricane Oyster Bar reopened in a new location, on hwy 283, about 1/2 mile north of 30A.

Kirkus

Beach Comber
Nov 29, 2005
Colleyville, TX
Thanks everybody. Cafe Tango has always been on my list to try, and somehow we've never made it. That will change this year. Also had added D&K - lots of great comments, and the key lime pie references iced it. Jambones sounds like a great change once we get fished-out. Should be better than our usual pizza delivery option.

Looks like you've got me on the right track. Anyone know if they still serve Scott's BBQ shrimp upstairs at Bud & Alley's? Seems like maybe that was only an option during dinner upstairs, not lunch (and they declined to provide it in the restaurant on my last visit, though I could have ordered it upstairs - odd and disappointing).

Thanks again!

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Cafe Tango almost requires a reservation IIRC not really a walk-in atmosphere.

2bohemians

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2005
www.searchthe30a.com
Yes, you usually need a reservation for Cafe Tango .... but in our opinion its worth it! Love the Scallop appetizer, pecan crusted grouper and Filet Gorgonzola or any of the steaks! We try to go at least once a year for a special dinner, sometimes we will take clients or guests there ...... haven't had a bad meal yet! There have been a few times, we've gone without a reservation just to have those scallops and a glass of wine at the bar ... there are a few seats at the tiny bar ... sometimes it's reserved too but every now and then you can get lucky ....

Also, we love the Semolina Grouper at Gravel Road for dinner and there lunch burger is one of the best we've ever had. It's a little pricey for a burger but it usually comes with mashed potatoes and some yummy grilled fresh vegetables ... we usually split a burger .... mmmm ... could go for one right now ....

Enjoy your trip!

archas00

Beach Comber
May 19, 2008
These are all such great restaurants! It makes me hungry just thinking about them all! I'd also add Fabrice to the list for lunch. Sit outside, have a glass of wine (and the croque!:lolabove:) and enjoy 30A!!

ItzKatzTime

Beach Fanatic
Apr 27, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
These are all such great restaurants! It makes me hungry just thinking about them all! I'd also add Fabrice to the list for lunch. Sit outside, have a glass of wine (and the croque!:lolabove:) and enjoy 30A!!

:clap::clap:You are so right archas00!
East, West, North, and South 30A is a diners delight! :drool::party:
:chill: