• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Minnie

Beach Fanatic
Dec 30, 2006
Memphis
We had a Cat 1[Charlie-2004] that literally kicked our arses here in O'town. Most of my neighbors had no power for a week, and downed oak trees were blocking streets. We missed the entire Olympics as it was over two weeks for cable to be restored. Do not discount a Cat 1 if you are directly in it's path.

Was that Charley, if so I was there for that one and you are right it was something to see the next day. :blink:

The most recent prediction I saw was the one Kurt and TFT discussed. With Monday being the deciding day as to whether it hugs the Florida coast or moves to the Gulf.

Problem with these storms you don't want them to go anywhere.

I get so upset when I read the Disney forums during the days before a storm, because so many simply want it to move anywhere but Orlando so their vacation is not affected.:bang:

Last edited:

bluemtnrunner

Beach Fanatic
Dec 31, 2007
HEY I'm going on vacation to scallop in Port St. Joe Monday-Wednesday. My last vacation was a year ago to kayak in Alaska. I know this one is only two hours away and for a couple of days but doggone I earned it and no TS is going to ruin it for me. Maybe I should go ahead and buy scallops and a larger ration of beer in case rain causes the inactment of Plan B!

bluemtnrunner

Beach Fanatic
Dec 31, 2007
We had a Cat 1[Charlie-2004] that literally kicked our arses here in O'town. Most of my neighbors had no power for a week, and downed oak trees were blocking streets. We missed the entire Olympics as it was over two weeks for cable to be restored. Do not discount a Cat 1 if you are directly in it's path.

I don't discount any of them. And I remember that Charlie was a very unique animal. He went from Cat 2 to Cat 4 as he turned a sharp right and hit Charlotte Harbor and traveled up the middle of the state while still gaining some strength from the Harbor and from Peace River. He sucked that thing dry. My sister is the Chairman of the Sarasota Red Cross and had to go out to assess the damage. All those years of thinking that the inland folks would be spared from the full force of a hurricane were so wrong.

tropicwatch

Beach Lover
Jul 15, 2005
tropicwatch.info
HEY I'm going on vacation to scallop in Port St. Joe Monday-Wednesday. My last vacation was a year ago to kayak in Alaska. I know this one is only two hours away and for a couple of days but doggone I earned it and no TS is going to ruin it for me. Maybe I should go ahead and buy scallops and a larger ration of beer in case rain causes the inactment of Plan B!

As it stands now Plan B might not be a bad option. Of course things are always subject to change but right now the weather might actually stink next week. We will have to see if the NHC shifts the track more east again. I wouldn't hold my breath though!

203113W_sm.gif

Tropicwatch

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
No matter happens with Fay, this is a good reminder to finish getting some of the things together on our hurricane preparedness list that we have been putting off. Might as well do it today!

You actually have a hurricane preparedness list? :blush:

We've been so busy watching the election that we are about as off-guard as people can possibly be!

futurebeachbum

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2005
Snellsburg, GA
www.myfloridacottage.com
Its going to go up the East Coast

I've consistently found that the European Weather Site has the best forecast model and they've been showing this storm tracking east of Florida for several days now. Now they show it going ashore in So Georgia. That hasn't happened in a long time.

You can press the play button labeled "Step Valid Time" and see where they show this storm going for the next few days.

Last edited:

futurebeachbum

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2005
Snellsburg, GA
www.myfloridacottage.com
I've consistently found that the European Weather Site has the best forecast model and they've been showing this storm tracking east of Florida for several days now. Now they show it going ashore in So Georgia. That hasn't happened in a long time.

You can press the play button labeled "Step Valid Time" and see where they show this storm going for the next few days.

Oops. I should have looked at the latest before posting. They now have it brushing the coast of the Carolinas. That's a change since lunchtime today.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I don't own one myself, but have thought about buying, and highly recommend to others, one of the small multifunctional radios, which has a flash light, radio, and one regular DC or AC outlet, which can be operated on batteries or hand cranked, user-generated. They could be great use if the power goes out and you are keeping tabs with ppl via text message, email via cell phone, or cell phone itself, if you are able to get a darn signal. Text messages will work best because they just sit in hold until a cell opens up, where the phone doesn't.