• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
My guess would be a private plane on a good weather day. :D

bdub

Beach Lover
Jan 29, 2008
okay ----

i am closer to PC than Destin -- so i tried 98 to 77 north go right at 20 to 231 all the way to Dothan. take the loop around Dothan -- pick up 431 to Phenix city -- 185 to Columbus -- 85 to ATLANTA.(5 Hours flat.) I wanna know how fast the guy who makes it to DC in 12 hours is driving. takes me 15.

okay ----

i am closer to PC than Destin -- so i tried 98 to 77 north go right at 20 to 231 all the way to Dothan. take the loop around Dothan -- pick up 431 to Phenix city -- 185 to Columbus -- 85 to ATLANTA.(5 Hours flat.) I wanna know how fast the guy who makes it to DC in 12 hours is driving. takes me 15.

Sorry to say that I'm avg. 80. You know 80 on I 185 is probably below the avg. speed, but you lose some time in Eufala etc. My odometer reads that it's 320 miles to ATL. That's where I run out of gas for the first leg.

My quickest way to Atlanta from where we live is to not hit any red lights in town (it is possible) and to either take I-85 at 10 mph over the speed limit or go with the flow (which is usually possible and faster). Home to Neiman Marcus can be an hour with no fear of a ticket.

From SoWal I won't share all of my secrets. Basically we do Defuniak/Samson/Elba/Troy.From US 231 take a right onto Hwy 82 and a quick left@County Hwy. 85. That way you miss the Monkeytown traffic.
Travel through the beautiful cattle and horse ranches and then take a right on Waugh Road.
Get on I-85 at mile marker 16. The AL/GA state line is at mile marker 80. It starts over at 0 when you cross the 'Hooch. The Atlanta airport exit is at mile marker 70. Everything else is relative.

Hubby just negotiated the purchase of a company in Dalton. He now takes US 27 and avoids Atlanta traffic.

Bluznbeach

Beach Lover
Jul 11, 2005
www.davidsswan.com
It really depends on where you're leaving from, too. From Inlet Beach, at the eastern end of Sowal, we take 98 to 79 north out of PCB, west on 20 in Ebro to 81, which becomes 83 in Alabama and goes through Samson and Elba up to Troy, where we take 231 to Montgomery and 85. However, if you're starting from Grayton, Seaside, or points nearby, you might be better off using 331 up through Florala etc. Good luck! :wave:

It really depends on where you're leaving from, too. From Inlet Beach, at the eastern end of Sowal, we take 98 to 79 north out of PCB, west on 20 in Ebro to 81, which becomes 83 in Alabama and goes through Samson and Elba up to Troy, where we take 231 to Montgomery and 85. However, if you're starting from Grayton, Seaside, or points nearby, you might be better off using 331 up through Florala etc. Good luck! :wave:
That's true. If you're leaving from Inlet Beach or even Rosemary, going the PCB to highway 79 route would probably be better.

Vandylaw

Beach Comber
Quickest way to Atlanta from SoWal. Going to I-85.

Trying to find a better way to Baltimore. Have been going I-10 to I-95, but I-95 is insane. Takes 17 hours that way.

We go several times a year...put me in the 331 to Montgomery to I-85 camp.

I've done several of the other routes mentioned here, but I can make it door-to door from Miramar Beach to north Atlanta in 5.5 hours with 1 short stop.

Little Fish

Beach Lover
Oct 9, 2007
Atlanta, GA
AAbsolute takes the same road I do. It's 316 miles door to door from East Cobb to our condo on the west end of PCB. At night the trip can be made in 4:45 with an average speed of roughly 80.

Of course, if you're busted that will add another 30 minutes to the trip...

Little Fish