• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
by: JeffMasters, 11:53 AM EDT on August 16, 2008
www.weatherunderground.com

...Fay's future strength when it hits the U.S. depends critically upon how much strengthening occurs today. Fay will be traversing the highest heat content waters in the entire Atlantic Ocean today, so there is the potential for the storm to reach Category 1 hurricane status before crossing Cuba Sunday night. If Fay does hit South Florida, the storm is likely to be a tropical storm or Category 1 hurricane, since it will not have enough time over water to reorganize much. A strike further up the coast will likely result in a stronger Fay at landfall, with a Category 3 storm not out of the question (20% chance).

The latest model map is below. NOGAPS model is pointed directly at Panama City area.
at200806_model.gif

TreeFrog

Beach Fanatic
Oct 11, 2005
Seagrove
I don't own one myself, but have thought about buying, and highly recommend to others, one of the small multifunctional radios, which has a flash light, radio, and one regular DC or AC outlet, which can be operated on batteries or hand cranked, user-generated. They could be great use if the power goes out and you are keeping tabs with ppl via text message, email via cell phone, or cell phone itself, if you are able to get a darn signal. Text messages will work best because they just sit in hold until a cell opens up, where the phone doesn't.

Got one. Mine will charge your cell phone from either the radio's internal battery or from the hand crank. AM, FM, Shortwave, and broadcast TV (which of course will be useless once DTV comes along).

NoHall

hmmmm......can't remember
May 28, 2007
Northern Hall County, GA
As it stands now Plan B might not be a bad option. Of course things are always subject to change but right now the weather might actually stink next week. We will have to see if the NHC shifts the track more east again. I wouldn't hold my breath though!

203113W_sm.gif

Tropicwatch

This looks like the optimal rain-dumping model for Georgia, at least...:blush:

But I hope for the best for all of you. Let us know if you need anything.

I don't own one myself, but have thought about buying, and highly recommend to others, one of the small multifunctional radios, which has a flash light, radio, and one regular DC or AC outlet, which can be operated on batteries or hand cranked, user-generated. They could be great use if the power goes out and you are keeping tabs with ppl via text message, email via cell phone, or cell phone itself, if you are able to get a darn signal. Text messages will work best because they just sit in hold until a cell opens up, where the phone doesn't.

Yeah, I had bought one of those when we moved to Port St Joe. Got it at Target. I finally found it again last week. The bleepin' thing didn't work anymore, not with hand crank, not with fresh batteries. ::sigh::

2bohemians

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2005
www.searchthe30a.com

We love our little cheapie solar / battery multifunctional radio and highly recommend them. It cost us about $10. We've stayed through all the storms and being able to crank up that little solar radio is a real godsend. It keeps us in touch with what's happening with the weather, road closures, after the storm help, etc. Without it we would have no idea what's going on in the outside world! It works like a charm. We just sit it on the porch and let it soak up the light ... give it a crank ... and just like that we are connected to important information. It also has a flashlight built in. We keep it in our beach bag all year and if we ever need a radio for any reason at the beach, we've got one.

BeachSiO2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 16, 2006
Based on what my "people" are telling me, I am sticking with my earlier comments that Sowal will be safe from this one. While it does look like it is going to hit FL it will be far enough south so that sowal will not be impacted. Latest path takes it in between Tampa and Ft Myers just like the NHC says.

Bob

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2004
O'Wal
generators will undergo full functionality test today...I don't care for that track!

BeachSiO2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 16, 2006
generators will undergo full functionality test today...I don't care for that track!

Good idea, and good luck as it looks like I am in the line of fire also. I had to fire mine up a couple of weeks ago after sitting dorment for three years and it started on the second pull. All it needed was gas. I hope you have a similar experience.

TreeFrog

Beach Fanatic
Oct 11, 2005
Seagrove
Good idea, and good luck as it looks like I am in the line of fire also. I had to fire mine up a couple of weeks ago after sitting dorment for three years and it started on the second pull. All it needed was gas. I hope you have a similar experience.

You are more lucky than me. I had an unpleasant experience in the epic Memphis ice storm of 1994 when my (former) generator resolutely refused to start. Since then, I run it monthly for about a hour. Also, I add Stabil to the gas in both the generator and the gas I have stored for it.