• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

BeachbumAggie

Beach Fanatic
Jun 6, 2008
Arlington, TX
8-1-08, drove into Pensacola to do a little shell hunting.

Drove east on Hwy 98, stopped for traditional day one poyboy at the Crab Shack in Ft Walton.

Fought the traffic through Destin and hit the Dollar Store and liquor store next to Bruno?s in Miramar Beach then on to Seagrove. It rained off and on all afternoon but the rained stopped long enough for us to unload and check out our place. We stayed in a 2/2 house in the Bungalows of Seagrove. Nice neighborhood, quiet, friendly, great pool and hot tub-very large, and a smaller 2nd pool. A pretty long hike to the beach even with the cart so I mostly drove down to the little park down the street.

Here?s my daily plan of my 2 weeks in Seagrove. Wake up at 8am, half the time go to the nice gym in Grayton Beach, half the time skip it and just fix breakfast, then hit the beach. Stay at the beach until 1-2, whenever I got hungry again! Eat a snack and either return to the beach, take a nap, or hang at the pool a bit. Clean up, walk on beach at sunset with drink and go to dinner-or reverse that or dinner and shop around Seaside or dinner and then bike around Seagrove. The only exceptions were due to rain and involved a shopping trip to Panama City and to the shops at Grayton by the gym. I was even Susie homemaker and made brownies and cookies a couple of nights.

Water was a little green when we arrived, the waves and rip tides got a little crazy for a couple of days due to Edourda then the water quality was great for a couple of days then the green came back and then the waves came back but the water was improving when we left. I?m guessing that Fay is starting to or about to cause issues, hopefully she?ll stay away from 30A and will wind down rather than up. Regardless of water quality I was sitting on the beach with my chair and umbrella and book every day except the day of all rain and the day of huge winds-however I did walk the beach even with the sand blowing and stinging in hopes of finding cool shells-no luck!

Below is the nitty gritty on our dining experiences it looks like we did more eating out than anything else!:

We had a great dinner that Fri night at D&K caf?: split gumbo, I had stuffed shrimp over cheese polenta appetizer for my entr?e, hubby had the Cajun ribeye topped with a pile of crawfish tails and crab, then for dessert we had the chocolate torte with ice cream and pralined pecans-yummy yummy yummy!

Dinner Sat night at Stinky?s Fish Camp-my favorite place for 2 years running now! Great music by Daddy-O who was in from New Orleans-he comes in a few times per year it seems so it you have the chance, see him! Shared grilled shrimp appetizer, I got crawfish pie and hubby got the short ribs-all were delicious!!

Ciao Bella pizza on Sunday night since the Red Bar?s wait looked to be over an hour.

Monday we arrived early at the Red Bar and enjoyed Dread Clampitt and then split egg rolls, hubby had shrimp and crawfish penne, I had the chicken-I?d forgotten how huge their food is!

Tuesday was poboys at Seagrove Market Caf?, I had grilled grouper, hubby had shrimp.

Wednesday back to Stinky?s to share a French loaf with their fabulous bean butter , a gumbo, 2 shrimp baskets, and share blackberry pie a la mode.

Thursday we tried Fat Clemenza?s, I had the veal-it was so so veal but great pasta and sauce to the side and great pizza-tasted just like the pizza we had in Europe.

Friday was burgers at Flip Flops, they gave me a side of chili to try as well.

Saturday we had friends and family arrive in Seacrest with kids so we bought a bunch of spicy steamed shrimp at Goatfeathers 2 and the guys grilled some sausage and heated up a brought brisket and fries and sides for a huge spread at the friend?s house.

Sunday back to Stinky?s with a group of 11 this time. We had French loaf with red bean butter, crawfish pie and short ribs again but tried the fried green tomatoes with etouffee, yummy.

Another group of friends had arrived on Saturday as well so the 7 if them were seated next to us-yes that?s a total of 18 Texans sitting together at Stinky?s on Sunday 8/10/08-you might have heard us if you were there!!

Monday back to the Red Bar for Dread Clampitt and this time we shared a gumbo-so so, I got a salad and manicotti-OMG cheesy goodness and HUGE, and hubby got the shrimp and crawfish penne again.

Tuesday we hit D&K with our group of 18 Texans and I tried smoked tuna dip for the first time-man had I been missing out, we also had the warm seafood dip with garlic bread-yummy and rich! Again I had the stuffed shrimp and hubby had the Cajun ribeye with crab and crawfish, some things are so good you must have them twice!!

Wednesday was the annual trip to the Lighthouse in Destin. This time we met friends staying at Destin West in Ft Walton and some friends from Seacrest came too so there was a total of 21 Texans at the Lighthouse on Wednesday!! Hubby and I shared mini crab cakes-so so but both enjoyed our prime rib and fried shrimp for $15! Shared peach cobbler a la mode as well, pretty good.

Thursday we had dinner at Pizza by the Sea and shared mini pepperoni rolls and the Quadruple bypass pizza, hubby loved it, I liked it pretty well. We both got cool tshirts next door at Movies by the Sea and I got little cousins some really cool and reasonably priced toys there as well.

Friday we drank a great bottle of French bubbly and watched the sun set on the beach and then went to Stinky?s were we shared an order of crawfish hushpuppies, gumbo, hubby had blackened amberjack with polenta and crawfish moux choux-YUMMY and I had my last crawfish pie of the year-do you see a trend, I really like their crawfish pie!!

We had lunch at Pizza Amore one day, we shared a turkey sammy and pizza, both were great! We had lunch at Flip Flops and shared a burger and chili dog, yummy. We had lunch at Seagrove Market caf?, another grouper poboy for me and shrimp basket for hubby. We had lunch at Fabrice in Watercolor one day, croque and petite baguette du jambon just like in France! We had lunch at Bayou Bills coming back from Panama City on our rainy day, we had been eating at the one on 98 for years and years so I?m glad we got to have lunch there at least!

We really had good and friendly service everywhere. We dined at Stinky?s oyster bar with Tony twice and I recommend that to anyone. He takes great care of you and is a cool guy to visit with and usually no wait! Our waitress at D&K was great, I can?t remember her name but she?s very sweet, long dark hair with a bit of an accent but so friendly and attentive and really wanted to make sure that we enjoyed our dining experience both trips in.

My mom is thinking of 3 weeks in May so I'll plan to join her at least one week and hubby and I plan to return for 2 weeks again next August or the last of July and 1st week of August. It's amazing how quickly 2 weeks flies by when I'm in my happy place!!

DuneLaker

Beach Fanatic
Mar 1, 2008
Eastern Lake Est., SoWal, FL
Enjoyed your trip report. I want to pretend to be a tourist for a week and do many of the things that there just doesn't seem to be time for if you live and work here. Having company helps as you do get out with them.