• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

GraytonBound

Beach Fanatic
Nov 15, 2004
The Nooga
Bob said:
Smiling Joe, I think snowdome collection refers to those water-filled souvenirs available at Wal-Mart and other fine retailers. It could also refer to old guys w/dandruff driving around in their Sebring convertibles.

:lolabove: :lolabove: :rotfl:

Dreaming watercolor

Beach Comber
Nov 17, 2004
The Woodlands Texas
Interesting question raised this morning. I just spent a half hour on the phone with my CPA. He advised me that if you assign the contract after 1 year it is treated as a capital gain not ordinary income. He stated he has had a lot of clients who have flipped properties in Galveston Tx. Just my 2 cents

Dreaming watercolor said:
Interesting question raised this morning. I just spent a half hour on the phone with my CPA. He advised me that if you assign the contract after 1 year it is treated as a capital gain not ordinary income. He stated he has had a lot of clients who have flipped properties in Galveston Tx. Just my 2 cents

:cool: Sounds like I need an new accountant :cool:

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Dreaming watercolor said:

Maybe Texans get special deals. :wink:

You must really love numbers if you can spend 90 minutes on the phone with a CPA. :rotfl:

landlord

Beach Lover
although i am an attorney (ceo of a private reit ) and have commercial office buildings in 7 states, i am not a cpa. nevertheless, i would be surprised if capital gains treatment would apply in an instance where the purchaser never closed, but merely assigned a purchase agreement. but, again, i am not a cpa.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
landlord said:
although i am an attorney (ceo of a private reit ) and have commercial office buildings in 7 states, i am not a cpa. nevertheless, i would be surprised if capital gains treatment would apply in an instance where the purchaser never closed, but merely assigned a purchase agreement. but, again, i am not a cpa.

I have gotten conflicting information. I think many people do not want a definite answer.

Waterman

Beach Lover
Jan 11, 2005
Ventura County CA
kurt said:
I have gotten conflicting information. I think many people do not want a definite answer.
CONCUR!!! :clap_1:

Advance The Man

Beach Lover
May 19, 2005
You must own it for 12 months and a day. Having a contract is not sufficient, the developer still owns the ongoing incomplete condo.

To get around this, legally by the way. You establish a LLC, have the LLC own the condo, get buyer prior to closing and 'sell' your LLC. As long as your LLC has been established for longer than 12 months and 1 day you only pay 15% cap gains.

We start LLC's frequently for this purpose down the road of selling the LLC.

Georgian

Beach Comber
Feb 27, 2005
How does one sell a LLC to a buyer who thinks they are buying a condo? Tell me more. I'd like to know how the process works.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Advance The Man said:
You must own it for 12 months and a day. Having a contract is not sufficient, the developer still owns the ongoing incomplete condo.

To get around this, legally by the way. You establish a LLC, have the LLC own the condo, get buyer prior to closing and 'sell' your LLC. As long as your LLC has been established for longer than 12 months and 1 day you only pay 15% cap gains.

We start LLC's frequently for this purpose down the road of selling the LLC.

Very interesting. Sounds reasonable, but would probably scare most people around here. I have not heard of people doing this in this area, but I can feel the ground shake as people run to their accountant while I type.