• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

butterbean

Beach Fanatic
Jun 15, 2006
Lotsa big words in this thread. My big word for this phenomenon is superfantastic! Well, I guess that's two big words.

Miss Critter

Beach Fanatic
Mar 8, 2008
My perfect beach
Also known as "St. Elmo's Fire" to old time sailors.

I did not know that. I knew of it related to flying, and got to see it once in the cockpit. Way cool. This is truly a magical universe. It's nice to be reminded.

jensieblue

Beach Fanatic
Jun 2, 2005
on a lake in the woods
beautiful

when the phospherence is evident, it is beautiful to let the waves wash over you. The glowing clings to your hair and body. Magical...It may be a plankton bloom of some kind

Wekick

Beach Comber
Jan 1, 2005
One time we were walking on a sandbar by Eastern Lake and our foot prints lit up! We have always noticed if you rub the "wet sand" the "stars" appear but that was exceptional. A few weeks ago when we were there all around Eastern Lake, there were 1" little clear colorless jelly animals that glowed.

BeachSiO2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 16, 2006
One time we were walking on a sandbar by Eastern Lake and our foot prints lit up! We have always noticed if you rub the "wet sand" the "stars" appear but that was exceptional. A few weeks ago when we were there all around Eastern Lake, there were 1" little clear colorless jelly animals that glowed.

Those were most likely ctenophores (comb jellies). You can actually stick your finger inside of them and at night time it looks cool with glowing fingers (at least to some people).

Mango

SoWal Insider
Apr 7, 2006
New York/ Santa Rosa Beach
Those were most likely ctenophores (comb jellies). You can actually stick your finger inside of them and at night time it looks cool with glowing fingers (at least to some people).

Could you get a glow in the dark sting? :lol: