• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

TreeFrog

Beach Fanatic
Oct 11, 2005
Seagrove
Anybody have any reports on rain levels in Tallahassee?

Wunderground shows less than an inch total so far. Looks like they've just had the first band.

The heaviest current cumulative levels (in the last 4 hours) are concentrated near the GA-FL border. If Fay continues to track West or WNW, it looks like we could get initial and trailing bands, but not the extended continuous rain that areas to the north or south of the storm center are receiving.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
If I were one of the relatively few vacationers here this week, I'd be heading to the rental office to check out and drive home today.

With the rains probably starting this evening, tomorrow will be, at best, an unpleasant day for a long drive in just about any direction but west. And, it's not impossible that the winds could be high enough that bridges will start closing.

Folks, we love you. Go home.

Spoken like an expert, for sure. I think you are spot-on. At last update I saw, Fay was still expected to his us as a Tropical Storm, which means constant wind speeds from 40-74mph (or something like). Bridges in Walton County close when wind speeds reach 35 mph (or something close to that. I'm hearing non-expert opinions that wind here will only be 25 mph, but these non-experts are also thinking 15-20 inches of rainfall in less than one day. Either way, that is not worth risking to stay for one extra day on your planned vacation. If that storm picks up water and speed by centering in the Gulf as it heads this way, there is possibility that it could intensify greatly into a Hurricane, and do some major destruction. When did the entire panhandle ever get swept by a major storm? That is like a direct hit on every beach community in NW Florida, and even as a Cat 1 or 2, that won't look pretty.

BeachSiO2, do you know if the removeable walkovers like at WaterColor and Deer Lake SP are being removed for this storm?

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
The EOC (Emergency Operations Center) for Walton County is getting everything in place, readying to respond. Knowing that evacuation times for SoWal are something like up to 28 hours, and considering the storm is supposed to be hear by Sat/Sun, my guess is that we would have already seen mandatory evacuation notice for South Walton, if we were getting one. That doesn't meant that bridges won't be closing, and that people will not be able to leave South Walton until bridges have been cleared and inspected for safety. As we saw in P'cola, water can move concrete very easily.

BeachSiO2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 16, 2006
Spoken like an expert, for sure. I think you are spot-on. At last update I saw, Fay was still expected to his us as a Tropical Storm, which means constant wind speeds from 40-74mph (or something like). Bridges in Walton County close when wind speeds reach 35 mph (or something close to that. I'm hearing non-expert opinions that wind here will only be 25 mph, but these non-experts are also thinking 15-20 inches of rainfall in less than one day. Either way, that is not worth risking to stay for one extra day on your planned vacation. If that storm picks up water and speed by centering in the Gulf as it heads this way, there is possibility that it could intensify greatly into a Hurricane, and do some major destruction. When did the entire panhandle ever get swept by a major storm? That is like a direct hit on every beach community in NW Florida, and even as a Cat 1 or 2, that won't look pretty.

BeachSiO2, do you know if the removeable walkovers like at WaterColor and Deer Lake SP are being removed for this storm?

No, I don't but to address the wind speed issue. Please remember this is only the latest guesstimate.

Currently, it is supposed to be sustained winds on the order of 25-40mph sustained, with a lull as the eye passes. The 25mph+ sustained winds are supposed to go from Sat morning through Sunday morning. The 35+mph winds are supposed to be for an hour or so Saturday afternoon, then a lull for the eye, and then 1-2 hours more Sat night after the eye passes.

The problem I see is that they think the eye of the storm is scheduled to come across Sowal and the wind will be fairly quiet for a few hours. So how many problems are going to occur from "gawkers" who get caught as the storm ramps back up . :bang::bang:

EDIT::I see that the EOC is being activated per another thread from Kurt so from here on out, I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND that everyone get their information straight from them.

Last edited:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
One other reminder which has yet to be stated -- tornadoes are something to be prepared for with storms like this, and we all have seen the damage which tornadoes can cause. Be prepared. You cannot make wise decisions when intoxicated. Hurricane Parties are for alcoholics, IMO.

bluemtnrunner

Beach Fanatic
Dec 31, 2007
:dunno:What is the best way to learn about bridge closing plans?:blink:

I have to get kids from Defuniak today and back again Saturday/Sunday.

beachma

Beach Lover
Apr 22, 2005
Not so easy...

When you've had reservations made since February and a couple thousand dollars paid in full for a beach house to cancel. Yes, I did pay for cancellation insurance, but unless there is a "mandatory" evacuation order...that means nothing to the insurance company and....I can still be out lots of $$$. Part of our family is already in Seagrove and were planning on checking into the house we have rented together on Saturday...we're leaving in 2 hours for the 12 hour drive from Illinois. Tonight we are staying in Cullman, Alabama and had planned to make the rest of the trip down on Saturday. Have heard nothing from the rental company....so, just in case I've made an emergency reservation in Andulusia. Any advice would be greatly appreciated...other than "stay away"...how will we know about bridge closings? What would be the most likely bridge to take, we normally just come straight in on 331. :cry:

BeachSiO2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 16, 2006
:dunno:What is the best way to learn about bridge closing plans?:blink:

I have to get kids from Defuniak today and back again Saturday/Sunday.

When you've had reservations made since February and a couple thousand dollars paid in full for a beach house to cancel. Yes, I did pay for cancellation insurance, but unless there is a "mandatory" evacuation order...that means nothing to the insurance company and....I can still be out lots of $$$. Part of our family is already in Seagrove and were planning on checking into the house we have rented together on Saturday...we're leaving in 2 hours for the 12 hour drive from Illinois. Tonight we are staying in Cullman, Alabama and had planned to make the rest of the trip down on Saturday. Have heard nothing from the rental company....so, just in case I've made an emergency reservation in Andulusia. Any advice would be greatly appreciated...other than "stay away"...how will we know about bridge closings? What would be the most likely bridge to take, we normally just come straight in on 331. :cry:

GO TO THIS THREAD. It looks like this is where Kurt will be posting what he gets from the County EOC. Also, it has the 24hr hotline that is manned at the EOC. Good luck.

[ame="http://sowal.com/bb/showpost.php?p=454840&postcount=1"]SoWal Beaches Forum - View Single Post - TS Fay Official Announcements and News[/ame]