• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Phoenix Rising

Beach Lover
Apr 24, 2006
I am wondering if anyone knows if the Florida Dept. of Corrections allows convicted sex offenders to work on the DOT crews? I am also wondering if prisoners convicted of a violent crime are allowed out to work in our neighborhoods? I have looked online for the criteria to be placed on a DOT crew and have found none. The State prisoners have been working hard in my neighborhood for the past couple of months paving the roads, placing sod, trimming trees etc. Despite their hard work, it's a little unnerving to pull into my driveway and have the guard put his hand on his gun and make the men back away from my side of the road while I get myself and my daughter in the house. Before moving here I worked extensively with juvenile offenders of all types. I am of the mind that it is best to be armed with as much information as possible.

sunspotbaby

SoWal Insider
Mar 31, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
Where are you in Florida ?
I'm like you, it would be slightly unsettling to say the least...
On the other hand, we put our guards up because we know they are inmates.
In reality, we need to have the guard up with everyone when it comes to the safety of our children.

:wave:

The Watcher

Beach Fanatic
Jul 5, 2007
Great Question

I am wondering if anyone knows if the Florida Dept. of Corrections allows convicted sex offenders to work on the DOT crews? I am also wondering if prisoners convicted of a violent crime are allowed out to work in our neighborhoods? I have looked online for the criteria to be placed on a DOT crew and have found none. The State prisoners have been working hard in my neighborhood for the past couple of months paving the roads, placing sod, trimming trees etc. Despite their hard work, it's a little unnerving to pull into my driveway and have the guard put his hand on his gun and make the men back away from my side of the road while I get myself and my daughter in the house. Before moving here I worked extensively with juvenile offenders of all types. I am of the mind that it is best to be armed with as much information as possible.

I am glad you asked a very important question. The easy, assumable answer is NO, they do not "allow" sex offenders, felons on work crews... with that said;

Anyone serving time in a State Facility is a "Convicted Felon", thus, felons are on the work crew. As to what their specific crime is, that will take some work. I would think the list of inmates working on our roads, in our neighborhoods, would be public record. Anyone can search the DOC website and get photos and arrest history for anyone convicted. That might take some work and I doubt that Department of Trans and Department of Corrections will give this up very easily. I will go so far to say I doubt they have even communicated with each other on this.

As for Sex Offenders, I would not be surprised if one was on a work crew. Please understand, there is a large difference in being classified as an Offender or as a Predator. I do not think our State agencies are so inept that they would allow a Predator to do outside work. An Offender, perhaps.

Your question is one that depending on how far you want to take it, can open some interesting dialogue.

I recall an incident a few years ago with a Walton County Jail Inmate, along with two of his co-inmates, all working on a road crew as "trustees". The SO allegedly conducted covert surveillance on this crew in order to bust one of the Jail Employees who was being accused of smuggling Tobacco in to the jail, I think the guys nick name was "Croc" or "Gator". Anyway, yes, they were smuggling tobacco and it was discovered that the three other inmates (not smuggling tobacco) had an elaborate escape planned for that very day. They had a vehicle waiting for them and they were going to run from the group and flee. This would have worked as all were in good shape compared to the officers "watching" them. The plan was foiled and the three removed from the Trustee Work Groups.

Anything can happen when criminals are out in the public. Your security is only as good as the moral compass of the incarcerated and the ability of the officer, usually only ONE, to control the group. I would look into this further and request any documentation as to how the daily operation of one of these crews operates. That too is public record. It is an operational procedure.

Hope this helps.

w

Phoenix Rising

Beach Lover
Apr 24, 2006
Where are you in Florida ?
I'm like you, it would be slightly unsettling to say the least...
On the other hand, we put our guards up because we know they are inmates.
In reality, we need to have the guard up with everyone when it comes to the safety of our children.

:wave:

I'm in Santa Rosa Beach right off of 30-A. I agree that safety comes first with children.

Phoenix Rising

Beach Lover
Apr 24, 2006
I am glad you asked a very important question. The easy, assumable answer is NO, they do not "allow" sex offenders, felons on work crews... with that said;

Anyone serving time in a State Facility is a "Convicted Felon", thus, felons are on the work crew. As to what their specific crime is, that will take some work. I would think the list of inmates working on our roads, in our neighborhoods, would be public record. Anyone can search the DOC website and get photos and arrest history for anyone convicted. That might take some work and I doubt that Department of Trans and Department of Corrections will give this up very easily. I will go so far to say I doubt they have even communicated with each other on this.

As for Sex Offenders, I would not be surprised if one was on a work crew. Please understand, there is a large difference in being classified as an Offender or as a Predator. I do not think our State agencies are so inept that they would allow a Predator to do outside work. An Offender, perhaps.

Your question is one that depending on how far you want to take it, can open some interesting dialogue.

I recall an incident a few years ago with a Walton County Jail Inmate, along with two of his co-inmates, all working on a road crew as "trustees". The SO allegedly conducted covert surveillance on this crew in order to bust one of the Jail Employees who was being accused of smuggling Tobacco in to the jail, I think the guys nick name was "Croc" or "Gator". Anyway, yes, they were smuggling tobacco and it was discovered that the three other inmates (not smuggling tobacco) had an elaborate escape planned for that very day. They had a vehicle waiting for them and they were going to run from the group and flee. This would have worked as all were in good shape compared to the officers "watching" them. The plan was foiled and the three removed from the Trustee Work Groups.

Anything can happen when criminals are out in the public. Your security is only as good as the moral compass of the incarcerated and the ability of the officer, usually only ONE, to control the group. I would look into this further and request any documentation as to how the daily operation of one of these crews operates. That too is public record. It is an operational procedure.

Hope this helps.

w

I understand about offender vs. predator and that gets into a gray area because they are classified by the type/number of offenses as well as a psycho-sexual assessment. I used to supervise and co-facilitate group therapy at a group home for juvenile sex-offenders. Most sex-offenders have multiple victims before they get caught. Many of the victims never come forward and as such someone who is very dangerous may not have the predator classification. Sex offenders come in all types and have one of the highest recidivism rates of any type of criminal.
Some are opportunistic offenders who prey on children of family, friends, or those of a girlfriend. Another favorite place to find victims was the teenage boys who had mothers that ran a daycare. I also worked with several predatory young men who liked to wait in bathrooms, especially at churches. They would wait for the service the start and then prey on children who had left the service to use the restroom. There were others that were out and out stalkers. What I know is that there is no sex offender that I would ever trust or want near my child.