• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

butterbean

Beach Fanatic
Jun 15, 2006
I understand the double red flags in anticipation of the storm that was not, but why did the TDC put cones up to block the public access to the beach? Yellow tape on the steps blocked my way to the beach (not for long). Did the TDC tape up all stairs to the beach or just public access? I did not see any of the stairs to anyones private homes blocked off, so is the beach access only closed to those of us who use public access, I mean, who has the authority to close THE BEACH?

NotDeadYet

Beach Fanatic
Jul 7, 2007
It was just the TDC public walkovers that were "Closed." First time I remember them being closed in anticipation of a storm. Previous storms that damaged walkovers resulted in those walkovers being roped off to prevent people from being hurt going down a shaky walkover or one with part of it missing. So I guess this was a sort of preemptive strike. I understand the reasoning I guess but they put up the double reds when the Gulf was still flat as a pancake and really good swimming, some of the best swimming we have had all year. But then I suppose we don't need the fire dept waiting until the wind turned and having to go out in a storm to change the flags. So I have mixed feelings about it. Seems like to me the system could use some tweaking. :dunno:

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
The TDC is in a no win situation. Leave the access points wide open and some knuckleheads will go swimming in a tropical storm and die. Put up trivial barriers and people get pissed.

jack S

Beach Lover
Jun 12, 2007
There are other people here other than tourists! The flags are in place. The signs are in place. If you want safety that bad, maybe we should all be under curfew like children! What is interesting is that blocking the access blocks the locals who have a right to experience the beach and its weather, and the surfers who have the right to ride the waves. Left in place are the tourists with money. Keep in mind that surfers and locals have saved more people than lifeguards. Be careful what you wish for! For safety, are you willing to give up freedom? I am not!

BeachSiO2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 16, 2006
In tropical storm and hurricane situations, the closing of public accesses is based on the decision of by the Director of the Walton County Emergency Operations Center to close the water. It has been this way for years. When the EOC determines the water should be closed, the public accesses are also closed. As Kurt posed in another thread, the EOC made the decision to close the water at 6pm on Friday.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
In tropical storm and hurricane situations, the closing of public accesses is based on the decision of by the Director of the Walton County Emergency Operations Center to close the water. It has been this way for years. When the EOC determines the water should be closed, the public accesses are also closed. As Kurt posed in another thread, the EOC made the decision to close the water at 6pm on Friday.
I couldn't be more confused. So the EOC Director over-rides the LifeGuard crews. I understand that. With South Walton being under a Tropical Storm Warning, I can understand the water being closed, even though it was calm for most of the day yesterday. You wouldn't want swimmers in the water all along the beach, then have the conditions quickly change for the worse. That would be a disaster waiting to happen. However, closing THE BEACH, doesn't make sense. Rising water will naturally close off the beach long before the storm has potential of damaging the TDC public walkovers. I can understand accesses being closed off if water is nibbling away the sand at the bottom of the stairs, and I could only guess that it would be difficult to have TDC staff waiting at the walkovers, for the rising water during a storm, so they could make a mad dash to close off the accesses, during the storm. That somewhat makes sense.

Truluv, I don't think the TDC has the authority to close off access to Grayton Beach. I've never seen the drive-on accesses to GB, closed, even during Hurr Ivan, or the 2005 storms. Water itself will limit one's access, and the blowing sand will sandblast the paint off a car in less than an hour.

I was impressed to see the TDC had removed all of the trash bags from the beaches:clap: in preparation for the storm. Good job!

Yes, the TDC is in a bind, damned if they do, damned if they don't.

firemanjimg

Beach Comber
Jul 26, 2008
Grayton beach was open, no barricades or cones. About half a dozen vehicles and a bunch of beach people enjoying the clumps of june grass and a solid wall of jelly fish.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I walked out on Grayton yesterday, and never saw any June Grass nor a single jelly fish. What time was there a wall of jellies?

nodilberthere

Beach Fanatic
Aug 10, 2007
There are other people here other than tourists! The flags are in place. The signs are in place. If you want safety that bad, maybe we should all be under curfew like children! What is interesting is that blocking the access blocks the locals who have a right to experience the beach and its weather, and the surfers who have the right to ride the waves. Left in place are the tourists with money. Keep in mind that surfers and locals have saved more people than lifeguards. Be careful what you wish for! For safety, are you willing to give up freedom? I am not!

Do you believe you have more of a right to walk and look at the beach than the dirty filthy idiot tourists who spend their evil blood money in your community?

enfuego

Beach Lover
May 10, 2007
Paradise
There are other people here other than tourists! The flags are in place. The signs are in place. If you want safety that bad, maybe we should all be under curfew like children! What is interesting is that blocking the access blocks the locals who have a right to experience the beach and its weather, and the surfers who have the right to ride the waves. Left in place are the tourists with money. Keep in mind that surfers and locals have saved more people than lifeguards. Be careful what you wish for! For safety, are you willing to give up freedom? I am not![/quote]

Just like the sun coming out and blessing us with a beautiful day come the naysayers, pundits and wannbees. Let us be thankful that this was a mere inconvenience that probably caused a little "cabin fever" for the locals and visitors alike. This thread was started with a legitimate question. Is this beach open or not? It is. It was closed and double red flags were posted on Friday. The EOC or the TDC do not make this decision in a vacuum. SWFD, WCSO AND the EOC make these decisions and as always it is in the best interest of SOWALLERS that if the weather had turned really foul it doesn't place the deputies and FFs in uneccessary risks.

SJ is right- Damn if you do, damn if you don't...