• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

paradiseat30a

Beach Comber
Jul 17, 2008
We all should have known it was coming. When you don't get out the vote in SoWal, and the rest of the county votes -- well, the writing was on the wall with this one. We don't turn out the vote, we have a carpetbagger representing us for four years. Four years of Scott Brannon and Cecelia Jones representing the south part of the county.

Anyone want to explore ways to secede from the county? How 'bout a Sons of Liberty style dumping of tea into the Choctawhatchee Bay to protest taxation without representation?

When you have a precinct (Miramar Beach) in South Walton that represents the largest voting block with 6,272 registered voters and only 1,164 show up to vote, there must be some questions asked.

Alan Osborne

Beach Lover
Jul 12, 2008
Thanks to everyone

People who supported me, I thank you from the bottom of my heart. I have no regrets and met some wonderful people. Thank you all! Lesson to everyone, in the future, if nobody cares enough to vote then SOWAL leadership will always be decided by the northern precincts. No sour grapes here, came into it with my integrity in tact, going out still with it! See you at the BCC meetings, I'm just as fired up as ever!
Alan Osborne:D

Beachmom

Beach Fanatic
Sep 7, 2006
Grayton Beach!
Personally, I thank you for running and hope you don't stop...I'm just :sosad:

Congratulations to all who won today!

We hope you will all take your responsibility very serious for one of the most beautiful places in the world to live and to keep it that way. The integrity of a fabulous way of life must be fought hard for. There has been some distressing irresponsibility that makes us sick since we moved here in 2000. Much needs to be done to keep the pride of the uniqueness of this area and never ever give into the lure of outside big developers who only want our land and beaches in greed. This is not the place for that. Blessings to you all! :clap:Congratulations!

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
It is so distressing to have such a low voter turn-out. I wonder what can be done about it? Why are peeps so disconnected from the process? It is so easy to vote now with early voting...any ideas of why people don't participate?

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I think you can tell by the low turn out at the regular BCC meetings that people don't care about their local gov't enough to show up. It really isn't surprising that they don't show up at the polls.

I wonder how many of those "registered voters" actually live here, vs just establishing residence to not pay capital gains taxes on their second homes when they sell it. -- hmm?

Gov't loves to see such low turn out at the polls, and public meetings, because it means they have free run of the house, and can do whatever they damn well please.

Alan Osborne, thank you for running. It will probably take a long shower to get rid of some of that mud. I wish the results had been different for our sake, but it is what it is.

The Watcher

Beach Fanatic
Jul 5, 2007
Deserve

"you get the gov't you deserve." don't know who said it first, but damn. just damn. time to start bombarding her with emails and letters. I'm not advocating putting poop in anyones driveways or mailboxes. That is probably illegal.

Joe: you stole my thunder... I was going to remind everyone reading that I had used this quote from Ben Franklin, I was hoping I would not have to...

I feel this quote applies to the Sheriffs Race (I was not following the Comm Race that Close). Although the current Adminsitration is packing up for the mountains, I do hold some concerns about November and about both candidates.

Paige

Beach Lover
Mar 6, 2005
Arkansas
I think you can tell by the low turn out at the regular BCC meetings that people don't care about their local gov't enough to show up. It really isn't surprising that they don't show up at the polls.

I wonder how many of those "registered voters" actually live here, vs just establishing residence to not pay capital gains taxes on their second homes when they sell it. -- hmm?

Gov't loves to see such low turn out at the polls, and public meetings, because it means they have free run of the house, and can do whatever they damn well please.

Alan Osborne, thank you for running. It will probably take a long shower to get rid of some of that mud. I wish the results had been different for our sake, but it is what it is.

People from Arkansas make their residence in Florida so that they don't have to pay state income tax. I have two friends whose "residence" is Sandestin.