• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Minnie

Beach Fanatic
Dec 30, 2006
Memphis
Now now Minnie,
Hurricanes have a right to be here just like rattle snakes, coyotes and scorpions. :wave:

Well at least with the varments you have some idea of where they are going. I meant with Hurricanes no one wants the thing to come visit, so you end up wishing bad luck on someone else. :blink:

Miss Critter

Beach Fanatic
Mar 8, 2008
My perfect beach
I don't have any russian friends, but I went to a wedding in Sweden so I can't say anything bad about them either. :D

I do like their meatballs.

Not a silly question at all.

Growing up in Andalusia (approx. 65 - 70 miles from coast), we felt the effects of hurricanes and tropical storms all the time. Major wind damage, trees uprooted; terrifying at times. All the motels were full with evacuees.

Depending on the storm category, I would at least travel that distance or further north, based on my experience.

:wave:

You should also consider whether to go northeast or northwest. Obviously, you want to go in the opposite direction the storm is headed. The forecast models will indicate the expected turn. Depending on how long you wait to make hotel reservations (if that is your plan), you may end up going further than you planned due to lack of vacancy.

BeachSiO2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 16, 2006
Maybe a silly question but how far does one need to go to off the coast to get to safety?

It depends on the size, strength, and most importantly, the forward speed of the storm. I would take my chances going east or west as there are tornadoes in the inland areas that are more risky IMO.

DuneLaker

Beach Fanatic
Mar 1, 2008
Eastern Lake Est., SoWal, FL
With Hurricane Ivan, there was really bad flooding around Asheville, North Carolina. Sometimes tornadoes and inland flooding are far more dangerous than the coast. Atlanta can get clobbered. As long as you are out of the surge zone, and have wind protection, it is sometimes IMO just as safe on the coast. We evacuated once up to DeFuniak and I thought we were going to get killed by the huge pine trees toppling over. At least at the beach, our scrub oaks hold their ground and don't crush anything. We stayed for most. The most danger we've been in is when we left to Dallas for Dennis. It was very dangerous returning along 20, but horrible along I-10.

Last edited:

NoHall

hmmmm......can't remember
May 28, 2007
Northern Hall County, GA
Come to Sowal and avoid the Atlanta tornado's!!;-)

I actually have to TEACH on Labor day...:blink: But I'll be down in the Bat Cave (aka the music suite.) If any of you want to come be a guest speaker, you'll be safe from Gustav and tornadoes! :D (I can promise you no protection from hostile students.)

Beachmom

Beach Fanatic
Sep 7, 2006
Grayton Beach!
ok, say you are going to evacuate....besides what you need for a few days- what do you take?? (besides the obvious...I have boxes upon boxes of photos!)

Beachbummette

SoWal Insider
Jul 16, 2005
Birmingham and Watersound
ok, say you are going to evacuate....besides what you need for a few days- what do you take?? (besides the obvious...I have boxes upon boxes of photos!)

Be sure and take your important papers with you, insurance papers with phone numbers of contact person, paperwork to get you back in SoWal. Oh...plenty of wine might help too! :D

mikecat adjuster

Beach Fanatic
Oct 18, 2007
Seagrove.
www.myspaceherspace.com
I was heading southwest of New Orleans for the weekend and upcoming week but may stick around for the Grafitti thingie in Alys beach. I have a class in the New Orleans area the 4th - 6th and wanted to go early to visit with the kiddies. Now I find out my ex might be taking them out of town.

I guess I'll kinda wait to see how things go. Btw, I sure hope LSU kicks the heck out of APP st. on Saturday and their is no problem with the weather in Baton Rouge. Be safe everyone.

Beachmom

Beach Fanatic
Sep 7, 2006
Grayton Beach!
Don't worry, I do have my priorities in order!!!

Important papers are ready to go...I've organized and re-organized!!

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
With Hurricane Ivan, there was really bad flooding around Asheville, North Carolina. Sometimes tornadoes and inland flooding are far more dangerous than the coast. Atlanta can get clobbered. As long as you are out of the surge zone, and have wind protection, it is sometimes IMO just as safe on the coast. We evacuated once up to DeFuniak and I thought we were going to get killed by the huge pine trees toppling over. At least at the beach, our scrub oaks hold their ground and don't crush anything. We stayed for most. The most danger we've been in is when we left to Dallas for Dennis. It was very dangerous returning along 20, but horrible along I-10.

I think the whole thing of ATL getting clobbered is just more Weather Channel crapola. We evacuated there for Dennis and a friend to call and make sure we were okay since he heard on the weather channel that downtown was flooding. We just let him know that the little creek that apparently is slightly north of downtown was having some issues, but everything else was fine. Including the underground.

We have a binder with all of the important papers we need titles, insurance, pet vacinations, etc.

This goes in the vehicle that is going to evacuate. The vehicle that isn't goes under a pine tree. :D Seriously, we try to take both vehicles, but if we can't then the one that isn't going goes as far north as possible or into a parking garage in PCB.