• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Beachmom

Beach Fanatic
Sep 7, 2006
Grayton Beach!
I've done the binder thing also, and another one with back up disc of most of my photos...but not all.

Last edited:

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Maybe a silly question but how far does one need to go to off the coast to get to safety?

Come to Tally! And if it gets too close there- let's go to Jacksonville!

Seriously, I have reservations.:blush:

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
ok, say you are going to evacuate....besides what you need for a few days- what do you take?? (besides the obvious...I have boxes upon boxes of photos!)

Credit cards; cash; computer; cellphone; address/phone listing; perscription drugs; important documents (birth/wedding certs; deeds; financial documents; insurance policies, etc.); keys to the kingdom; your best wines and liquors (now's a good excuse to finally open those "special bottles").

Pick a single point of contact (a family member or friend not in hurricane area) and let all other acquaintences filter info to you through them and visa versa, until you give the all-clear sign. Also keep in contact with someone who doesn't evacuate so you can get info on what's going on in the area.

Last edited:

NoHall

hmmmm......can't remember
May 28, 2007
Northern Hall County, GA
I think the whole thing of ATL getting clobbered is just more Weather Channel crapola. We evacuated there for Dennis and a friend to call and make sure we were okay since he heard on the weather channel that downtown was flooding. We just let him know that the little creek that apparently is slightly north of downtown was having some issues, but everything else was fine. Including the underground.

Backed up storm drains doth not a flood make. :lol: Peachtree Creek rises and falls constantly--the city's infrastructure is a greater hazard than the creek!

Atlanta gets clobbered with violent weather, but it's over before you have time to run to the basement most of the time.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
I'm in the process of reorganizing the files so the stuff that I need to grab is all together at the front- grab and go!

Beachmom

Beach Fanatic
Sep 7, 2006
Grayton Beach!
me too! but sometimes the process is ENDLESS!!!!!:bang:

tistheseason

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
Atlanta, GA
You can always follow us back to the ATL. . .we're going to be in Sowal over the weekend and I guess driving back in the rain.

Beachmom/Punzy -- where ever you go, don't forget to stop and get GAS!!! :rotfl:

Miss Critter

Beach Fanatic
Mar 8, 2008
My perfect beach
Remember too, that text messaging often works when regular cell phone calls don't go through.

Beachmom, put as many of your photos as you can in waterproof bins in an interior room with no windows on a raised table on the ground floor. That way, you may have some protection against water intrusion from windows or roof and rising water from below. If you have any small items of great sentimental value that simply cannot be replaced, and car space allows, bring them with you also.

SGB

Beach Fanatic
Feb 11, 2005
South Walton
I'm in the process of reorganizing the files so the stuff that I need to grab is all together at the front- grab and go!

After 2 evacuations, we put little bright orange stickers on the files we'd need to take with us. Easy to grab and go. Back up those computer files on an external hard drive and take that with you too. If you have a laptop, definitely take that to check on what's happening and connect to SoWal.

DuneLaker

Beach Fanatic
Mar 1, 2008
Eastern Lake Est., SoWal, FL
The local TV station out of PCB at 6:30 a.m. today stated Gustav had shifted west and was no longer taking in the Apalachicola area and that should be good for the Labor Day Weekend crowd and business in Panama City area. (although there were some cancellations) A few minutes later, The Weather Channel storm report did not have this updated info and still showed last nights cone of possibility taking in Apalachicola. Why is that? You would think they'd have more up to date information. If travelers are planning their Labor Day excursions here they are more discouraged by current TWC. Hopefully they have alternate sources such as those listed here.

Last edited: