• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

ckhagen

Beach Fanatic
Aug 28, 2006
This is just so depressing.
We're from NOLA, 90% of my family is still there. My great-grandmother just got out of her FEMA trailer not 3 months ago. After Katrina, my parents had over 30 people sleeping in their house for weeks and ended up having to lease the house next door to put some of them in. Once again, they're panicking, seriously panicking. None of them think NOLA is anywhere near close to being able to handle this (the new flood gates are still under construction) if they take a direct hit. It's just depressing...

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
at200807_5day.gif

If this keeps up then NOLA may be safe.

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
Looks like I have two days to decide whether to evacuate from Houston or not. It is really an electricity issue for us. Where is beachso2?

It's time to leave New Orleans
Today is the 3rd anniversary of Hurricane Katrina's catastrophic hit on the Louisiana/Mississippi/Alabama coast. Unfortunately, I think that people living in New Orleans should mark the anniversary of Katrina by getting the heck out of the city. You live at the bottom of a bowl, much of it below sea level. While New Orleans must exist where it is, this is not natural. Nature wants to fill up this bowl with huge quantities of Gulf of Mexico sea water. There is a storm capable of doing that bearing down on you. If you live in New Orleans, I suggest you take a little Labor Day holiday--sooner, rather than later, to beat the rush--and get out of town. Gustav is going to come close to you, and there's no sense messing with a major hurricane capable of pushing a Category 3 storm surge to your doorstep. Don't test those Category 3 rated--but untested--levees. Conventional pre-Katrina wisdom suggested that the city needed 72 hours to evacuate. With the population about half of the pre-Katrina population, that lead time is about 60 hours. With Gustav likely to bring tropical storm force winds to the city by Monday afternoon, that means that tonight is a good time to start evacuating--Saturday morning at the latest. Voluntary evacuations have already begun, which is a good idea.

Last edited:

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
I am glad to see officials in NOLA being a bit more proactive in the face of this storm ....
Those among New Orleans' estimated 310,000 to 340,000 residents who ignore orders to leave accept "all responsibility for themselves and their loved ones," the city's emergency preparedness director, Jerry Sneed, has warned.
Officials plan to announce a curfew that will mean the arrest of anyone still on the streets after a mandatory evacuation order goes out. Police and National Guardsman will patrol after the storm's arrival, and Gov. Bobby Jindal has said he requested additional search and rescue teams from other states.......
For the third day in a row, Jindal stressed that people with the means should stock up on food, water and other essentials, and prepare to head away from the coast.
"We all still have personal responsibility," he said. "Now's the time to begin making evacuation plans."..........
"We don't want folks worrying about their property. It is time for people to be worried about their personal safety," Jindal said.....
full story here

Last edited:

sunspotbaby

SoWal Insider
Mar 31, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
Kitty, I don't know why you are having such a dilemma....drive to SoWal :D

My experience living in Houston...when it rains heavy, the streets flood....EVERY DANG TIME! And God help it if it rains heavy for days and days.:eek:
But I was never out of power...:dunno: Tough call.

I really hope the Weather channel isn't discounting other possibilities of landfall just to have the drama of a NOLA direct hit. :blink:

Landlocked

Beach Fanatic
May 16, 2005
Alabama
Well now it is a cat 4 hurricane. 145 mph. That can't be good.