• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

DuneLaker

Beach Fanatic
Mar 1, 2008
Eastern Lake Est., SoWal, FL
I hear some of the local churches are also serving as points of contact to match evacuees and housing. Wonder if the damage is severe if the schools will once again take in student evacuees too?

SGB

Beach Fanatic
Feb 11, 2005
South Walton
I just returned from the video rental (have to keep the kids entertained!) and Publix and there was car after car from Louisiana on 98 and in the parking lot at Publix. The cashier there said that most of their customers this morning were evacuees. Having evacuated in the past, I really feel for them. It's a horrible feeling leaving your home behind, not knowing what your future holds.

DuneLaker

Beach Fanatic
Mar 1, 2008
Eastern Lake Est., SoWal, FL
Maybe we could put up a poster at Publix and tell them about SoWal, in case they aren't already on, to keep with the local happenings. Some may have travelled with their laptops. I know last time, I helped out an evacuee from Slidell with some extra computer cables that they had left at home or lost. They might have additional computer/internet needs this group could help with.

ckhagen

Beach Fanatic
Aug 28, 2006
A load of our family left at 2am and it took them about 10 hours to get here...

ozbeachmom

Beach Lover
Feb 8, 2007
Kansas/miramar beach
What a nice thread. That is what I love about local Sowal people. Very kind and thinking of their neighbors.

Here are some ideas of things to do with the boys:

Scavenger hunt

Sock basketball: Get a couple of socks, roll them up and a laundrey basket. Boys love this!!!!

Make cookies

Coloring is always fun!

We also love to get out the buckets and paintbrushes for the driveway. Take some water, put it in a bucket, give the kids paint brushes and let them "paint" with the water.

We also play the card game Spoons.

If you have a video camera have them write a play and tape it.

You can also put music on and "Freeze" dance.

Just some ideas for you. Hope you have a great time with the kids.

seagrovegirl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2008
Historic Old Point Washington
What a nice thread. That is what I love about local Sowal people. Very kind and thinking of their neighbors.

Here are some ideas of things to do with the boys:

Scavenger hunt

Sock basketball: Get a couple of socks, roll them up and a laundrey basket. Boys love this!!!!

Make cookies

Coloring is always fun!

We also love to get out the buckets and paintbrushes for the driveway. Take some water, put it in a bucket, give the kids paint brushes and let them "paint" with the water.

We also play the card game Spoons.

If you have a video camera have them write a play and tape it.

You can also put music on and "Freeze" dance.

Just some ideas for you. Hope you have a great time with the kids.

What great ideas!!!! The scavenger hunt is a fave with our kids. The last two birthday parties we had we themed and prizes according to the theme were hidden outside. We gave the kids rhymed clues and watched the frenzy. Very cute and LOTS of fun!!!!

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Shelter for Evacuees Open
in DeFuniak Springs, (Walton County) Florida

DeFuniak Springs, FL – The American Red Cross has opened a host shelter at the First Baptist Church, 216 East Live Oak in DeFuniak Springs, Florida (32435) to aid evacuees of our western states leaving their homes to avoid Hurricane Gustav.

Evacuees coming to the area from Interstate 10 can take the DeFuniak Springs exit (Exit 85), then head north on U.S. Highway 331 at the end of the exit ramp. Go approximately 1.5 miles. Live Oak is off of U.S. Highway 331 in DeFuniak Springs and is marked with a flashing directional sign in the median of the highway.

Also, the state has activated the Florida Emergency Information Line. Residents and visitors can call 1-800-342-3557 for more information on shelter locations and directions to shelters in Florida.
Additional shelters will continue to be added and advertised as needed.

For additional information on Hurricane Gustav and the State Emergency Response Team, please visit the Florida Division of Emergency Management online at: www.FloridaDisaster.org. For specific information related to Walton County, Florida, please visit the county’s website at www.co.walton.fl.us.

tistheseason

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I think we need a good activity idea...four boys, ages almost 2, 3, 7, and 10. I think they are bored and little stir crazy.

I could learn a lot from the ten year old. I think at my age doing the whole evacuation 3 years after Katrina, when life was finally getting normal, would be too much. He's just taking it right in stride....

I wish we were still there and we could play!! Bikes are our savior. We ride all over the place. When we left this morning we put them in the house -- Now I wish we hadn't and I could give you the code, but it might be worth it to rent them. We discovered this morning what a great place treetops is for our 5 yr old to ride his bike -- no cars! Literally and absolutely no cars! It was great. We also rode over to the butterfly park this morning in Rosemary and found one butterfly! The adults were dissapointed to only see one. But the kids thought it was great that we found one!

chrisv

Beach Fanatic
Nov 15, 2004
Freeport, Florida
For those folks wanting local weather and news coverage from NO, DirecTV channel 361 is broadcasting WDSL channel 6 continuously. A nice break from the national outlets.

TooFarTampa

SoWal Insider
I think we need a good activity idea...four boys, ages almost 2, 3, 7, and 10. I think they are bored and little stir crazy.

I could learn a lot from the ten year old. I think at my age doing the whole evacuation 3 years after Katrina, when life was finally getting normal, would be too much. He's just taking it right in stride....

Where are you? I've lost track. My SIL & her almost 6-yo boy and 4-yo girl are in Seacrest at our house. They just came in from Covington today. Knock on the door and tell 'em I sent you. Playdates are a great thing! Also, we have PS2 for the older boys. You can always borrow it ... let me know if that would help.