• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

seagrovegirl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2008
Historic Old Point Washington
A couple of years ago, 2 locals, both very athletic and strong swimmers, saved a drowning victim, unfotunately, one of the rescuers died/drowned.

I like your suggestion; perhaps a pic of the deseased rescuers at the flag poles would help.

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
A couple of years ago, 2 locals, both very athletic and strong swimmers, saved a drowning victim, unfotunately, one of the rescuers died/drowned.

I like your suggestion; perhaps a pic of the deseased rescuers at the flag poles would help.

I remember a father and uncle drowning a few years ago (I think it was at Grayton Beach) after they saved the son/nephew (or some variation of this story).

I just keep thinking that the pattern is that those who drown are usually healthy adult men and specially targeting this group would be useful. And women and children would think that if healthy grown men drown in riptides that it's definitely not safe for them either.

The other thing to keep in mind is that the water in SoWal may not be more dangerous than elsewhere, but SoWal does a better job of letting people know the water can be dangerous at times (with the flag system and warnings). I was at Sanibel (great place) this winter and asked locals if they have rip tides, sharks, etc. and they said they did - but no warning flags.

Destiny

Beach Lover
Dec 29, 2005
West Central Georgia
We were visiting some friends in PCB in July when 3 people drown within 2 weeks. On one day alone over 20 people were pulled from the water. :sosad: :sosad: :bang: :bang: :dunno:
I hope visitors and residents are paying attention to the current conditions with Gustav. Life is precious.

I've posted the flag info by the door to the pool area, on the fridge, and then everytime a rental guest boots the computer or opens the browser, it opens my rental home page which reminds them about the flags and "Leave No Trace."

I can't think of anything else I can do to educate my guests. :dunno:

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
We were visiting some friends in PCB in July when 3 people drown within 2 weeks. On one day alone over 20 people were pulled from the water. :sosad: :sosad: :bang: :bang: :dunno:
I hope visitors and residents are paying attention to the current conditions with Gustav. Life is precious.

They better pay very close attention, nobody's going in right now to rescue them. I'm not sure about tomorrow, but today the water was closed and it was made very clear that no one was going after idiots in the surf.