• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

swantree

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2006
SRB
www.blueswell.com
I have a client that has his house, or part of his house( not on the market) used in a advert for a real estate firm. I know for a fact the homeowner is not aware of the use of his home nor did he approve of it. I know many of you have great homes that would be excellent for this same usage but my question is, do you think you should be paid an/or at least be given the opportunity to say yes or no to the usage of the picture in question?

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Unauthorized use IMO and there should be a whoopin!

Unless it's a "group" shot of the community or something similar, they shouldn't be using a photo of a house they aren't selling in an ad - especially w/o permission! :wave:

Permission and maybe a nominal fee is the norm in scooterbugland.

Last edited:

Landlocked

Beach Fanatic
May 16, 2005
Alabama
I'd take it as a compliment as long as the Realtor wasn't webuyuglyhouses.com

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
Is there any credit and/or identification of the house?

Customary to secure persmission...not sure if it's a legal issue; but it could become one if the owner has not given permission for publication.

Seems like good manners would dictate a conversation with the owner prior to publiction...unless it is a group shot of a development..

ckhagen

Beach Fanatic
Aug 28, 2006
Does the person who took the picture know that the picture is being used?

Miss Critter

Beach Fanatic
Mar 8, 2008
My perfect beach
Might permission have been given by a previous owner?

ASH

Beach Fanatic
Feb 4, 2008
Roosevelt, MN
It will be interesting to see where this goes. When I was in marketing with a previous employer, we were required to have written permission on file to use photography of anyones home in literature on on the website.
And I don't know if it would automatically convey if the home were to sell.
:popcorn:

We have seen another builder showing pictures of a home that we built in their ad's. It seems simple enough to write the party that you have the issue with a private and direct claim and give them the right to cure. It usually works fine to put the party On Notice and seems to be fair to be clear and direct.