• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
From WZEP news:

Board member Sharon Roberts said they have had two missing children and asked how to keep it from happening again. One child fell asleep on the buss and another was in a different class. Anderson said a missing child is one not supervised, not within the parameters of the security. She said the child in question was safe on the bus, something that has happened many times, even happening to her little brother. With new security measures, a child will not be left on a bus overnight. Anderson said, with the little ones not taking naps and in school for the day, they fall asleep. She said missing would be if a child got off at the wrong place and told the Board there are procedures for that.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Shouldn't the bus driver check the entire bus after the last stop? Or maybe make a few brief stops to walk the bus aisle and make a mental note of the kids and what they are doing and who is still on the bus?

This happens in cities all over the country- I have never understood why it is so hard to make a few brief checks.

I don't consider the child in the different class missing in the traditional sense of the word.

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
Shouldn't the bus driver check the entire bus after the last stop? Or maybe make a few brief stops to walk the bus aisle and make a mental note of the kids and what they are doing and who is still on the bus?

This happens in cities all over the country- I have never understood why it is so hard to make a few brief checks.

I don't consider the child in the different class missing in the traditional sense of the word.

You would think. My grandfather drove a bus and he got up and walked the whole thing at the end of his route each time.

I agree. The different class is more misplaced.

Liv'smom

Beach Lover
Oct 5, 2006
Inlet Beach
www.myspace.com
My school bus driver for all but the first of my elementary years was Lorraine Morgan. She knew each and every one of us by name and she was driving K-12 students. I fell asleep on the bus every day and she always made sure I got off. I remember her having to go back and drop off students who didn't get off. She was wonderful.

I want to know what kind of accountability is set in place for a bus driver who parks their bus not knowing there is a sleeping child on it. If the school is responsible for your child until they drive away from a bus stop, there should be some sort of disciplinary action taken. I can't even wrap my brain around this one.:blink:

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
this must be why those Butler parents on the other thread won't send their children on the bus...certainly agree with them.

Is there any kind of training for bus drivers, Robert? I think they drive much too fast--maybe, they are not paying enough attention to the children either:dunno:

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
this must be why those Butler parents on the other thread won't send their children on the bus...certainly agree with them.

Is there any kind of training for bus drivers, Robert? I think they drive much too fast--maybe, they are not paying enough attention to the children either:dunno:

They are supposed to go through a pretty extensive training program but I am not sure what all it entails.

Last edited:

Landlocked

Beach Fanatic
May 16, 2005
Alabama
While I was in elementary school, my bus driver would smoke. Considering what we put her through, I don't blame her one bit.

Franny

Beach Fanatic
Mar 27, 2005
Pt. Washington
While I was in elementary school, my bus driver would smoke. Considering what we put her through, I don't blame her one bit.

Was that a dube?:rotfl:

I think they should have a list of every child on their bus and check off as they leave the bus...at least they would not have to physically get up and walk the bus because that is too much like work.:roll:

mossyhead

Beach Fanatic
Aug 26, 2008
Mossy Head
www.panhandleopry.com
From what I read in the news the bus was taking children to the SPICE program. How many children were on that bus & why didn't those over the SPICE program not notice the child was not there? The child was not in danger? Fortunately it was only a couple of hours, what if these grandparents were later in picking the child up? Could the child have been left locked in the bus yard? As the grandparent of a child who does participate in the SPICE program I have a lot of questions.:bang:

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
From what I read in the news the bus was taking children to the SPICE program. How many children were on that bus & why didn't those over the SPICE program not notice the child was not there? The child was not in danger? Fortunately it was only a couple of hours, what if these grandparents were later in picking the child up? Could the child have been left locked in the bus yard? As the grandparent of a child who does participate in the SPICE program I have a lot of questions.:bang:

My son didn't have to ride a bus to the SPICE program he attended, but if he was absent from school or sick or whatever and I didn't let them know he wasn't coming, either I or my spouse usually got a phone call. Not always, but often - especially when he was younger.