• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

BeachSiO2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 16, 2006
Do I need to think about going back to my hometown?

Let's definitely keep an eye out for Paw-paw. It would be about 7-8 days if it goes that far west.

drsvelte

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
Sandestin & Red Stick
New Orleans/Baton Rouge Gustav updates can be found at:

http://wwl.com (this is a news station with great coverage that streams live)
http://nola.com (New Orleans newspaper)
http://www.2theadvocate.com (Baton Rouge newspaper)

Thanks for posting this info. It seems that since NOLA was "relatively" unscathed by Gustav, the national media lost interest in the other areas of Louisiana that were hit particularly hard.

EBR had sustained winds of 62 mph (higher than Betsy) and gusts in excess of 100 mph. Many, many homes sustained significant damage by falling trees. Power is still out in much of the city (fortunately ours was restored last nite) and will not be coming up in some areas for 3-4 weeks. There is a tremendous amount of debris that needs to be cleaned up.

And now Ike. Yeesh. :bang:

Joe Complete

Beach Lover
Nov 15, 2004
Taxahassee FL/Watercolor
On this map GFS=AVNO

storm_09.gif

DuneAHH

Beach Fanatic
Thanks for posting this info. It seems that since NOLA was "relatively" unscathed by Gustav, the national media lost interest in the other areas of Louisiana that were hit particularly hard.

EBR had sustained winds of 62 mph (higher than Betsy) and gusts in excess of 100 mph. Many, many homes sustained significant damage by falling trees. Power is still out in much of the city (fortunately ours was restored last nite) and will not be coming up in some areas for 3-4 weeks. There is a tremendous amount of debris that needs to be cleaned up.

Yes... and that REALLY pi$$es me off. Love NOLA... but there ARE other cities and people from LA that deserve information. :bang:

Lady D

SoWal Insider
Jun 21, 2005
Memphis, Tennessee, United States
This will not be good for any part of LA to get hit again, especially New Orleans. Most of the evacuees from LA have left here and gone back home. If they have to turn around and evacuate again, that is hard on one's wallet, and takes it's toll on the people also.

These people should be given a break at these hotels and motels. But you always hear complaints of price gouging. They are down on their luck already.

InletBchDweller

SoWal Insider
Feb 14, 2006
Prairieville, La
IF Ike hits New Orleans just right...
IF Ike strengthens as predicted...
there will be loss of life. Too many people are financially drained from the Gustav evacuation to flee again. Even the indigent who were transported and housed for free are vowing not to leave again because the process was so trying on them. Trouble is brewing.
I am afraid that many will not evacuate. It seems so stressful to get on a bus/train to evacuate. If you take your own car then the expense alone is alot. My SIL and I were just talking today about how expensive it is to get prepared (buying generator, gas cans, gas, air conditioner, food, propane, water, tarps, chainsaws) not that everyone can buy these things or do buy these things but it is good to have all these things on hand. Trouble is brewing is spot on.

Glad you got power back, we got it tonight in Prairieville (by Santa Maria). :clap: I drove around BR today picking up a few items here and there and how sad. sad. sad. sad. I wish the debris could get picked up before and if IKE comes. Now instead of a whole tree aross the street I have stacks of pieces of a tree. :angry:

organicmama

Beach Fanatic
Jul 31, 2006
WNC
wncfarmtotable.org

I am afraid that many will not evacuate. It seems so stressful to get on a bus/train to evacuate. If you take your own car then the expense alone is alot. My SIL and I were just talking today about how expensive it is to get prepared (buying generator, gas cans, gas, air conditioner, food, propane, water, tarps, chainsaws) not that everyone can buy these things or do buy these things but it is good to have all these things on hand. Trouble is brewing is spot on.

Glad you got power back, we got it tonight in Prairieville (by Santa Maria). :clap: I drove around BR today picking up a few items here and there and how sad. sad. sad. sad. I wish the debris could get picked up before and if IKE comes. Now instead of a whole tree aross the street I have stacks of pieces of a tree. :angry:

I am glad both of you are okay.

It's not only the cost of evacuation... the cost of lost income also.:sosad: Not only is it expensive to get up and leave, but to not get paid and then when you get back you now have to possibly leave again. My heart goes out to all affected.

BeachSiO2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 16, 2006
What I am looking at, looks more like Texas at a Cat 2, but the guesstimate is still more than 5 days out.

Kitty- you need to start thinking about PawPaw again as Houston doesn't look good... :sosad: