• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
Rita said:
We walked around the lake, saw the "illuminations", admired the antebellum homes, and took lots of pictures. What a fun evening!

? Is the Whistle Stop Cafe in DeFuniak Springs the same one that was in "Fried Green Tomatoes"?
We just watched that movie the other night.

The Whistle Stop Cafe from the movie is in Juliette, Georgia.
http://www.juliettega.com/

Rudyjohn

SoWal Insider
Feb 10, 2005
Chicago Area
I'm really searching waaaaaaay back to my youth, but if I remember correctly, there was an Italian restaurant in DeFuniak that our family used to go to called, "Mom and Dads." Does that ring a bell, Donna? It's been so long ago, it's almost like a dream to me.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Johnrudy said:
I'm really searching waaaaaaay back to my youth, but if I remember correctly, there was an Italian restaurant in DeFuniak that our family used to go to called, "Mom and Dads." Does that ring a bell, Donna? It's been so long ago, it's almost like a dream to me.

It's still there and soon to be visited by me and other lightlookers.

JEANNE

Beach Comber
That was the first Mom and Dad's Restaurant! I started going there when I was just a little girl (probably around 4). The family soon afterward opened another Mom and Dad's in Tallahassee, been there around 40 yrs and also have a 3rd one in Thomasville, Ga. One of the brother's, Nino, branched off and opened a restarurant not far from the Mom and Dad's in Tallahassee, called Nino's. They all have the best Italian food I have ever eaten. The clan came over from Italy. Unfortunately the matriarch of the family just passed away soon after her 100th birthday in Italy.

Rudyjohn

SoWal Insider
Feb 10, 2005
Chicago Area
Thanks to you both on the Mom and Dad's update! Wow, that was over 40 years ago when we went, and even then, I remember it being some of the very best Italian I'd ever eaten! It wasn't fancy at all, very much a mom and pop restaurant! Thanks for helping me relive some good childhood memories!

Camp Creek Kid

Christini Zambini
Feb 20, 2005
Seacrest Beach
kurt said:
It's still there and soon to be visited by me and other lightlookers.

Kurt,

Where is Mom and Dad's? I'd like to try it this weekend.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Camp Creek Kid said:
Kurt,

Where is Mom and Dad's? I'd like to try it this weekend.

MOM & DAD'S ITALIAN RESTAURANT
2184 US HIGHWAY 90 WEST
892-5812

Take a left from 331 and it's a ways down on the north side.