• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

greenroomsurfer

Beach Fanatic
Nov 24, 2006
Where Free Speech Is Allowed
It will be a sight and don't take this the wrong way but you can't have a 12 foot wave in 5 feet of water, even though the WC neglects to tell you that :). My point is that those waves will be offshore and be great for surfing, but the waves will break offshore and the water will likely only reach the dunes as there will be no associated storm surge.
Stick to sand homme!! There is a surge and your Auburn wave formula is way wrong. Banzai Pipeline the bigger the wave the shallower the water. Different bottom contour dictate wave shape and size as well as the swell duration and length of the swell. Today it was about 6-8 foot with a 10 foot bomb coming in every once in a while and it was breaking in about knee deep water. Oh yea Highway 98 on okedokie island is underwater! Dune fences everywhere. I have checked it at Blue Mountain, Ed Walline, Whales Tail and Pompano joes before I hit it at NCO Club what a zoo! That nice sugar white sand we use to have, gone forever or at least in our lifetime. Oh yea I also found this old map that shows the old Santa Rosa Inlet, I'm guessing it use to be around the Outlet Mall before man or Mother Nature filled it in. The bay used to be a HUGE coastal dune lake until man screwed it up!:dunno:View attachment 10148

View attachment 10149 The Link http://fcit.coedu.usf.edu/florida/maps/galleries/county/walton/index.php

Last edited:

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
Shocking and I am speechless. I am praying a lot.

chrisv

Beach Fanatic
Nov 15, 2004
Freeport, Florida
Oh yea I also found this old map that shows the old Santa Rosa Inlet, I'm guessing it use to be around the Outlet Mall before man or Mother Nature filled it in. The bay used to be a HUGE coastal dune lake until man screwed it up!:dunno:

Thanks for the map, GRS. Actually, what is referred to on this map as 'Santa Rosa Inlet' is East Pass. What everyone around here calls 'Okaloosa Island', or your (and funnier) OkieDokie Island, is labeled as Santa Rosa Island on most nautical charts, and is likely the reason it is labled as Santa Rosa Inlet.

greenroomsurfer

Beach Fanatic
Nov 24, 2006
Where Free Speech Is Allowed
Thanks for the map, GRS. Actually, what is referred to on this map as 'Santa Rosa Inlet' is East Pass. What everyone around here calls 'Okaloosa Island', or your (and funnier) OkieDokie Island, is labeled as Santa Rosa Island on most nautical charts, and is likely the reason it is labled as Santa Rosa Inlet.
Yep, and Walton county use to be about 3 times bigger than it is now.

northshore

Beach Comber
Aug 2, 2008
The water was rushing under the boardwalk at Ed Walline.... hitting the dunes behind the homes.... There wasn't a beach to stand on.

Apr 16, 2005
Buckeye Country
Stick to sand homme!! There is a surge and your Auburn wave formula is way wrong. Banzai Pipeline the bigger the wave the shallower the water. Different bottom contour dictate wave shape and size as well as the swell duration and length of the swell. Today it was about 6-8 foot with a 10 foot bomb coming in every once in a while and it was breaking in about knee deep water. Oh yea Highway 98 on okedokie island is underwater! Dune fences everywhere. I have checked it at Blue Mountain, Ed Walline, Whales Tail and Pompano joes before I hit it at NCO Club what a zoo! That nice sugar white sand we use to have, gone forever or at least in our lifetime. Oh yea I also found this old map that shows the old Santa Rosa Inlet, I'm guessing it use to be around the Outlet Mall before man or Mother Nature filled it in. The bay used to be a HUGE coastal dune lake until man screwed it up!:dunno:View attachment 10148

View attachment 10149 The Link http://fcit.coedu.usf.edu/florida/maps/galleries/county/walton/index.php

:cry:

ASH

Beach Fanatic
Feb 4, 2008
Roosevelt, MN
When I read this thread, I ran back down near Stallworth Lake and saw that waves were as high as they were at 8 this morning. One of the fences I had pulled out of the surf and way up the beach was gone, so actually a little worse.
Stopped at Ed Walline and took a photo of someone out swimming in that surf. I hate to call people like this idiots, but.......

I'll get some surf pics up in a bit.

bluemtnrunner

Beach Fanatic
Dec 31, 2007
The bayou is WAY up. Water is right up under the dock, part of the boat lift is under water and water is all the way up to our backyard. Usually the water is 30 feet away. We spent the morning putting everything in our storage rooms up high.