• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
Mermaid said:
TreeFrog, everyone goes on tangents in this place! Don't worry about it!

TANGENTS ARE OUR LIFEBLOOD!

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
jdarg said:
We can start a new business-- TANGENTS R'US!

Now that's an idea!

Poor rapunzel...she just asked a simple question!!! rapunzel, welcome and eat out and eat well!!!

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
I love going out somewhere and reading a good book alone. I prefer reading at the beach or the porch or the couch, but sometimes it's good to get out and read at a restaurant. In fact, I should do that more often when in SoWal. I had a nice lunch at Shades by the Loop all by myself at one of the high tables by the window and loved it. I stayed over an hour (there were no people waiting for my seat). I rarely go to a restaurant alone (coffee shops definitely) and if I do I'm very happy being by myself. And I always bring something to read when I'm dining alone. I get to look up now and then and people-watch, then get back to the book. I wouldn't be as comfortable sitting at the bar talking or reading because if I go myself I want to be in a comfortable corner.

Suncat

Beach Fanatic
Jun 12, 2005
Tennessee
Rapunzel, I'm sorry you are uncomfortable dining alone and hope that improves. I don't mind it a bit and I always have a book or newspaper. Very relaxing. Paula expressed my feelings exactly! I'm certainly not anti-social, but would not feel right talking to the (probably) busy bartender just to appear social. And yep I am a former sorority girl too. Why should you conform to a "things not to do" list of all things? Just my opinion. :D

shakennotstirred

Beach Fanatic
Jan 5, 2005
Pittsburgh, PA
I agree with the book readers. I find it very relaxing to be dining out alone with a glass of wine and a book. Plus it sure beats sitting in your hotel room when traveling alone on business.

rapunzel

Beach Fanatic
Nov 30, 2005
Point Washington
Wow! I expected one or two replies. Thank you so much for all the great suggestions. I had completely forgotten Criolla's had a bar. I've never been to Borago but it gets so much good press here I'll make it a point to try it soon.

Now, I must weigh in on the tangent. Being a solo dining veteran around here, I can attest that going in without a book is not advisable. I'm a chatty person and would definitely prefer to strike up a conversation with the bartender, sushi chef, or fellow diners...but the opportunity does not always present itself. I went to the Old Florida Fish House without a book recently, sat at the sushi bar, and because the sushi bar was so busy I waited 35 minutes for my food and the sushi chef was way to busy to make small talk. Uncomfortable in your skin is sitting in a crowded restaurant with a group of teenagers on one side and a support beam on the other, a busy staff, trying to read Bill O'Reilly's lips. Perhaps those lists are referring to people who try to read while they are actually eating. I never do that, because the whole point of eating in a good restaurant is to pay attention to the food.

Thanks for all the great ideas. If anyone else is interested -- I have found that Hurricane's Oyster Bar and Blue Buddha are both good places to go alone.

whiteyfunn

SoWal Staff
Jul 1, 2005
Seagrove Beach
Beach Runner said:
And I'd rather talk than read. :D

You don't have to call the kettle black...

And SJ, not all sorority girls (or wannabees) are pathetic.

newyorker

Beach Lover
Jul 18, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
I travel a lot for my job, and thus the choice for me is to eat alone at a good place or feel like I shouldn't belong and eat in my room. I'm an academic, but I also love people--so like some of you--I bring a good book, order some wonderful wine, and a meal I wouldn't cook for the family at home. I've found oyster bars great places to eat alone (sometimes I read, sometimes someone interesting will sit down near me and we'll talk.) People watching can be fun too. But some of these so-called "rules" are actually ones meant to keep singles from eating alone, particularly women (who not too long ago were never supposed to be unaccompained in public spaces like bars or restaurants.)
So, rapunzel be "transgressive"--bring a good book, order a great glass of wine and whatever you want to eat. Sowal has wonderful places to eat--have at it!

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
Sounds like the classic divide between introverts (those who are energized by time alone) and extroverts (those who are energized by interacting with others) bubbling over into the discussion.

Mr. Mouse and I are both fairly strong introverts, and will often go out for Sunday brunch and read the paper while waiting for the food to show up, Kind of like we're having fun together yet at the same time giving each other some space.

If anyone wants to go off on a Myers-Briggs tangent, we're both INTJs.