• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

MaryAnne

Beach Lover
Apr 14, 2005
Many thanks, Yippie, for keeping us up-to-date with pictures.

Last edited by a moderator:

yippie

Beach Fanatic
Oct 28, 2005
A local
After Gustav I noticed that the beach was shrinking, I think the slight illusion of sand covering a few steps is misleading. The Gulf is reclaiming the beach very quickly and it wouldn't surprise me if some houses are in big trouble from the erosion.

inside635, you're welcome.

Sowalgayboi - You're right. However, some houses are already in trouble in Destin. ( I KNOW it isn't sowal, but we are neighbors).

The Northwest Florida Daily News and Destin Log have several photos. A couple of them show the first three houses (close to the beach) in Destin Point already taking in water and in trouble. Jetty East's Parking lot under the building is cracking away.

http://www.nwfdailynews.com/

http://www.thedestinlog.com

Last edited:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Around noon today, there was talk of closing down Mid-Bay bridge which runs between Niceville and Destin. Niceville traffic was at a stand still all morning, and will continue, due to the the 98 closure on Okaloosa Island. Surf around here is pretty large and everyone seems to be watching it. Surf was washing under Pompano Joe's, in Miramar. Didn't see one surfer trying to ride the 10 ft waves, and I don't blame them one bit. It looks hazardous to one's health.

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
If you've got to go to FWB by way of Niceville, schedule around rush hour. When my husband went into work around 8, he said John Sims was slammed from Bluewater Blvd to where he turns off for the college bypass. When I headed the same way just before noon, traffic was moving at its usual just over the speed limit pace even though it was slightly heavier than normal.

yippie

Beach Fanatic
Oct 28, 2005
A local
Around noon today, there was talk of closing down Mid-Bay bridge which runs between Niceville and Destin. Niceville traffic was at a stand still all morning, and will continue, due to the the 98 closure on Okaloosa Island. Surf around here is pretty large and everyone seems to be watching it. Surf was washing under Pompano Joe's, in Miramar. Didn't see one surfer trying to ride the 10 ft waves, and I don't blame them one bit. It looks hazardous to one's health.

Who was talking about this? What about the 331 bridge?

Harlan

Beach Comber
May 31, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
here are some cell phone pics of 98 between destin and fwb this morning before westbound was closed. sorry for the quality, I was driving. the east bound lane was was completely submerged.

09-11-08_0757.jpg

09-11-08_0758.jpg

09-11-08_0759.jpg

09-11-08_0800.jpg

09-11-08_0801.jpg

09-11-08_0802.jpg

09-11-08_0803.jpg

09-11-08_0804.jpg

09-11-08_0805.jpg

Will B

Jan 5, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Around noon today, there was talk of closing down Mid-Bay bridge which runs between Niceville and Destin.

There was a boat that took on water and sunk under the highest span. They did close the bridge, but I think it was only during the rescue operation. Is that what you were talking about or for another reason?

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
There was a boat that took on water and sunk under the highest span. They did close the bridge, but I think it was only during the rescue operation. Is that what you were talking about or for another reason?

I didn't hear of the cause, and after hearing that 98 had closed earlier in the morning, my guess was that possible potential for closure was storm related. The winds on the Bay were not strong enough to justify a closing, but I was inside for a while, so I didn't know. Water level in the Bay is probably 2-3 ft higher than norm, and the Full Moon is nearing, so it will pull even higher. As of late this afternoon, 331 is open with only mild wind out of the east (around the Bay). Winds along the Gulf increased substantially this afternoon. Water level is high. I'm not sure if worse weather is expected, or if it has passed.

Apr 16, 2005
Buckeye Country
I didn't hear of the cause, and after hearing that 98 had closed earlier in the morning, my guess was that possible potential for closure was storm related. The winds on the Bay were not strong enough to justify a closing, but I was inside for a while, so I didn't know. Water level in the Bay is probably 2-3 ft higher than norm, and the Full Moon is nearing, so it will pull even higher. As of late this afternoon, 331 is open with only mild wind out of the east (around the Bay). Winds along the Gulf increased substantially this afternoon. Water level is high. I'm not sure if worse weather is expected, or if it has passed.

Does anyone know?

southof30A

Beach Lover
Nov 23, 2004
here are some cell phone pics of 98 between destin and fwb this morning before westbound was closed. sorry for the quality, I was driving. the east bound lane was was completely submerged.
Dude, you really need to wax your rig.