• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Johnrudy said:
Gosh, now I want to move, NOW, not in 4 yrs. when our son starts college!! Is there industry for a Motorola electrical engineer that designs cell phones? If there was more technical industry, we'd move in a heartbeat!!

Then it wouldn't be the beach. We deal in sand, not silicon. :rotfl:

aquaticbiology

fishlips
May 30, 2005
redneck heaven
you have the right idea - rent! that way if anything happens to it then it is the property owner's problem

best bet - be an assistant office manager to a real estate firm (don't sell it, just work in the office)

try American Realty of Northwest Florida, Inc - another friend of mine worked for them as a temp and said they were really nice

hutch

Beach Lover
JohnRudy;

Kurt is correct that not much work for technical people in our beach area. However, sometimes their are job openings listed in the newspapers for technical engineers available in Fort Walton area. There are several companies there that do high tech contract work for the government. Also, go online and search for GSA government jobs openings at Eglin AFB and the other military bases. I have seen some local job openings listed there for the government. Good Luck. SouWal is a great place to live.

the hutch

Rudyjohn

SoWal Insider
Feb 10, 2005
Chicago Area
hutch said:
JohnRudy;

Kurt is correct that not much work for technical people in our beach area. However, sometimes their are job openings listed in the newspapers for technical engineers available in Fort Walton area. There are several companies there that do high tech contract work for the government. Also, go online and search for GSA government jobs openings at Eglin AFB and the other military bases. I have seen some local job openings listed there for the government. Good Luck. SouWal is a great place to live.

the hutch
Thanks for the info. I pretty much knew the answer already. When we do decide to take the plunge, he'll have to "retire" from his technical career. And I don't think he'll be unhappy with that!

Mermaid

picky
Aug 11, 2005
Tamara, everyone here knows I love SoWal, so it's a foregone conclusion that I'd say go for it!

If you have no attachments other than your pets, which you will bring with you :love: , then what's to hold you back? When I was young and single I took my first job in Philadelphia, where I went to school. Then my brother called from Palo Alto California, saying he was lonely and would I come out there? So I did. When he decided to get his master's, I moved again to Boston to be near my family. Then I met my husband who dragged me down to Atlanta for ten years. I had the most incredible time with all my adventures and am so happy that I was willing to take the chances on parts of the country I was unfamiliar with. Believe me, when you get "tied down" with a spouse and a mortgage and kids and tuition, it's much, much harder to pack up and go. So go for it now! (Lucky you...SoWal..... :love: )

tamara

Beach Lover
Dec 1, 2004
Goodlettsville, TN
Mermaid said:
Tamara, everyone here knows I love SoWal, so it's a foregone conclusion that I'd say go for it!

If you have no attachments other than your pets, which you will bring with you :love: , then what's to hold you back? When I was young and single I took my first job in Philadelphia, where I went to school. Then my brother called from Palo Alto California, saying he was lonely and would I come out there? So I did. When he decided to get his master's, I moved again to Boston to be near my family. Then I met my husband who dragged me down to Atlanta for ten years. I had the most incredible time with all my adventures and am so happy that I was willing to take the chances on parts of the country I was unfamiliar with. Believe me, when you get "tied down" with a spouse and a mortgage and kids and tuition, it's much, much harder to pack up and go. So go for it now! (Lucky you...SoWal..... :love: )

All of your encouragement is making me want to pack my bags! All of my family (small) is in Tennesee and my parents are in good health. I am not so sure I would get their support on this though. Mostly it would just be fear that would hold me back if I could find a job and a place for my and my dogs. I have always said I would retire to Sowal...but then I really just started to question why not now? I have no children....why not just go for it?

Beachlover2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 17, 2005
SoWal
Tamara

We have younger friends (late 20's early 30's at the time) that use to meet us in SoWal every year and kept talking about moving someday - I told them you are young - no children - why wait - give it a try - you can always go back home if you need to. They have been living in the area for 4 years now - have 2 kids - recently bought a house and love it. Sometimes it is best to try living your dreams now instead of waiting for things to happen that hold you back - like mortgages - kids or elderly parents.
Not saying it was easy at times for them - there were a lot of jobs cleaning rentals and waiting tables - but eventually they found full time jobs that they like that pay the bills :clap_1: :clap_1:

iwishiwasthere

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
Tennessee
Beachlover2 said:
Tamara

We have younger friends (late 20's early 30's at the time) that use to meet us in SoWal every year and kept talking about moving someday - I told them you are young - no children - why wait - give it a try - you can always go back home if you need to. They have been living in the area for 4 years now - have 2 kids - recently bought a house and love it. Sometimes it is best to try living your dreams now instead of waiting for things to happen that hold you back - like mortgages - kids or elderly parents.
Not saying it was easy at times for them - there were a lot of jobs cleaning rentals and waiting tables - but eventually they found full time jobs that they like that pay the bills :clap_1: :clap_1:

Leaving the elderly parent is the issue. When my fathe passed away he told my mother that we would take of her. You get the idea.

Beachlover2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 17, 2005
SoWal
iwishiwasthere said:
Leaving the elderly parent is the issue. When my fathe passed away he told my mother that we would take of her. You get the idea.

That is our stumbling block right now - my father-in-law. He has been ill for four years - but even if we move him with us - he would lose the friends from the old neighborhood and church that still make the effort to visit him.

Sheila

SoWal Insider
tamara said:
All of your encouragement is making me want to pack my bags! All of my family (small) is in Tennesee and my parents are in good health. I am not so sure I would get their support on this though. Mostly it would just be fear that would hold me back if I could find a job and a place for my and my dogs. I have always said I would retire to Sowal...but then I really just started to question why not now? I have no children....why not just go for it?

My 23 year old son told me 3 weeks ago that he's actively seeking employment in New Zeland. He has friends there and he has a couple of leads on jobs there. he spent time there in college and fell in love with the place and the people.

As hard as it would be to have him go, I am fiercely proud that he's willing to take a chance and go for it.

He was suprised that I would be so supportive of his choice to do this. I'd rather have him go and give it a shot before he's obligated, than to regret that he didn't. Your family may suprise you. You'll never know if you don't try. Besides, we all support you!