• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Cil said:
Me too, Paula.
Would the winters there be similar to SoWal? Or perhaps not as mild?

Quite a bit further South. More like Tampa, unless the water temps are radically different from currents.

Carter

Beach Comber
May 20, 2005
Marin County, CA
I have only been to/in Surfside Beach TX/Galveston (or anywhere very near it) for 5 days in early May, so I am a dubious authority on weather/water temp there at best, but can tell you the peak beach rental season there is the 11 weeks of Memorial Day through mid-Aug.

I did see one picture on the web somewhere along the line of glaring white snow on the Beach on xmas day. Picture was annotated something like: 'No that is not Destin, it is Surfside Beach on Christmas day!' ;-)

BrettMan

Beach Comber
Apr 15, 2005
That picture must have been taken this past Christmas. My mom lived in Houston (just North of Galveston) for 8 years and never got to see snow in any quantity (they get less than Atlanta - which is darn near none), then in October of last year, she moved to Naples, FL to be near my sister and they had a white Christmas! She was bummed :sosad:

Carter

Beach Comber
May 20, 2005
Marin County, CA
Yep, you are right. Found my way back to the link. Christmas 2004.

http://www.surfside.org/christmas2004.htm

It does look like emerald coast sand...

If I could figure out how to post a (512kb) picture here I would show you all a picture I took of surfside beach from the deck to give a sense of what the beach there really looks like (when it is not covered in snow...)

Carter

Beach Comber
May 20, 2005
Marin County, CA
I just read today and highly recommend the current issue of Fortune Mag (May 30). "Real Estate Gold Rush" cover article. Really good/fun read on the speculative frenzy from Las Vegas to AZ & Miami with some suggestion some of the frenzied herd may be moving in the direction of TX next (Austin specifically mentioned with ref to SA and Dallas).

One quote from the article:
'Sometimes they are here for maybe six hours total. They don't even look at the houses. They get here, look at the prices, and say, "Two-Hundred and Fifty Grand? I'll take two of em!".' (Phoenix, AZ)

....aint America great?
:cool:

Camp Creek Kid

Christini Zambini
Feb 20, 2005
Seacrest Beach
RiverOtter said:
My brother is down there right now and says the gulf looks like a "Muddy Lake"

Some friends had a contract to buy the last two gulf front lots in the DPZ Development in Galveston. They cancelled the contract after seeing the muddy water and and dirty sand (mud). My friends are from Houston, and the price for two lots was great (300's), but they passed. They had forgotten how unappealing the water and beach is in Galveston. They've been in SoWal for a year now. Sounds like Brettman picked up their contract.

Camp Creek Kid said:
Some friends had a contract to buy the last two gulf front lots in the DPZ Development in Galveston. They cancelled the contract after seeing the muddy water and and dirty sand (mud). My friends are from Houston, and the price for two lots was great (300's), but they passed. They had forgotten how unappealing the water and beach is in Galveston. They've been in SoWal for a year now. Sounds like Brettman picked up their contract.

Is the water as or more murkey than Port St Joe?

Cork On the Ocean

directionally challenged
Just read an article about Port St Joe.

http://money.cnn.com/2005/05/11/real_estate/re2005_beach3_0506/index.htm

The beach at Cape San Blas is still a nice one but they've got a tremendous erosion problem which is what brought me to come up here and I'm still trying to figure out what they're gonna do about that stinky Arizona chemical plant. Anybody know if that's ever gonna go away? JOE sold all those lots at Watermark(?) on the bay a couple of years ago but theres still only 1 or 2 houses there.

Also, MExico Beach seems to be growing with at least 8 precons but I still can't stand the poor design of the streets going down to the beach. Everybody looks at each other's house instead of the beach. What's with that? This area just can't compare to the Emerald Coast and I don't think it ever will.

BrettMan

Beach Comber
Apr 15, 2005
As far as the beach at Galveston goes... here's my two cents. I made a trip to the area to look at the development. There is no doubt that these are not Emerald Coast beaches, but neither are 99% of other beaches in the US - and neither are the prices. I went for a walk on the beach and the sand is very fine and it is tan - not white like in South Walton. So... the water right where the waves break does look dark because that sand is constanly churning and that fine tan sand colors the water. The water is not dirty and the beach is not "muddy" at all. If you look further out, the water is blue.

The other factor is it's proximity to the greater Houston area. You can get there in about 45 minutes from Houston, even less time from Hobby airport. That is a huge market of vacationers and potential buyers.

My wife is from VA Beach. VA Beach is very popular, but the beaches aren't even in the same ballpark as the Emerald Coast. The sand is tan and course and the water is murky. The same can be said for North Carolina beaches. I think that those that are lucky enough to spend time on the Emerald Coast get spoiled by the exceptional beauty, but that doesn't mean other beaches aren't still very desirable.