• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
So, as I was saying, Freeport, while not there yet, may be the place to eat in the near future as we see more SoWal restaurants phase out. Yesterday, I took my book to... just kidding, I dined at JB's Chinese Buffet in Freeport. I must say that as I pulled into the parking lot, I was very curious, and ready to leave if necessary, as to the menu items. I have been expecting Mr. Redneck, aka "J.B.", to rear his head. The outer glass mirrored walls next to the future Men's Gym, were filled with fake spray-painted snow. I just knew JB was looking at me as I stood outside reading through the menu items posted in the window. I thought to myself, "you never know until you try." Still to this day, one of my favorite country cooking meet and three's is one I found on a whim, by simply pulling off the road filled with fast food joints, the K&S in Greenville, SC. Anyway, this opening is longer than the actual review. I opened the door to JB's Chinese Buffet, and low and behold, I was greeted by a cute Chinese girl. "Where is JB?" I ask myself. I now think that JB is maybe Jackie Ban. The place was decorated as Oriental as every other Chinese restaruant in America. Surprise! The food was also identical to every Chinese restaurant in America. If you like fried Oriental food, JB's is the place to be. I find it amazing that American corporations like McDonald's spend millions of dollars with a focus on consistency, and yet numerous Chinese restaurants scattered across the good ole US of A share the same menu items, although they don't belong to the same corporation. Maybe the US can take notes and learn a little something from these guys.

To the food, the food was good, not great but good, and I will go back. Where else can you eat as much as you want, including dessert, and be out the door under eight bucks including a 40% tip? Those places are few and far between. Personally, I think I could eat the $5.40 worth of egg roles alone.

The service was as great as every other Chinese restaurant in America -- outstanding!

Notes: if you are hungry and on the way to SoWal, feel free to get your fill at JB's. It may not be the Royal Orchid, but it is pretty darn good, and beets the heck out of the Freeport Hardee's, Subway, Cafe, and the other restaurant whose name I can never remember. I still have not eaten at Nug's Deli in Freeport, but maybe it is next on the list when I visit Freeport.
I will remind you that if you eat at JB's everyday, you may end up being a few sizes larger than your current size -- the food is mostly fried. Good on occasion, but you not do your body justice to eat there too often.

For what it is, I give JB's a surprising 4.0 on a scale of 5.

drsvelte

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
Sandestin & Red Stick
Re: New Restaurant Review

I find it amazing that American corporations like McDonald's spend millions of dollars with a focus on consistency, and yet numerous Chinese restaurants scattered across the good ole US of A share the same menu items, although they don't belong to the same corporation.

That should give you a clue... many of these mom & pops have the same vendors of the pre-prepared eggrolls, sweet & sour soup, General Tso's chicken, etc that are ubiquitious on Chinese menus. So they all are pretty much consistent.

Besides JB's in Freeport what other takee-outee Chinese are there in SoWal? The Village @ Baytowne added a sushi-type place, but I'm more interested in traditional eggrolls, won-ton soup, fried rice, etc.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004

drsvelte said:
That should give you a clue... many of these mom & pops have the same vendors of the pre-prepared eggrolls, sweet & sour soup, General Tso's chicken, etc that are ubiquitious on Chinese menus. So they all are pretty much consistent.

Besides JB's in Freeport what other takee-outee Chinese are there in SoWal? The Village @ Baytowne added a sushi-type place, but I'm more interested in traditional eggrolls, won-ton soup, fried rice, etc.

FYI- JB's is located north of the Bay in Freeport (NoWal). There are no Chinese restaurants in the 30-A area of SoWal. I can count the number of restaurants in the 30-A area of SoWal on my fingers and toes.

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL

Dynasty between the outlet mall and the county line is traditional Chinese. There's also strip mall Chinese over by the Destin Publix next to Bonefish Grill.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com

Thanks SJ nice review/sacrifice. I noticed on my last trip through the AK that there was an original JB's on Hwy 90 just East of 331 intersection.

Did the one in the strip mall on 98 close where pizza hut used to be?

The old Thai Cafe location in Grayton is still available if anyone wants to take it on - it is outfitted fully. Would also make a good Mexican takeout.

hutch

Beach Lover
Kurt;

Do you know what the traffic is for the Grayton Beach location. I was thinking it is hard for people to find, but I may be wrong. I know the person that runs the small food trailer at Gulf Trace and she does excellent black beans and rice and other Mexican food. She feeds all of the Mexican workers on 30A. We talked about her moving to the Grayton Beach location, but not sure if she would do well at that location. Maybe others on this board will give some feed back on how well she would do in the old Thai location. The small trailer will be closed for a few weeks due to health problems, but will open again soon.

the hutch

sunshine

Beach Lover
May 1, 2005
south walton

drsvelte said:

Don't forget about Chop Stix on 98 - and they deliver! :clap_1:

aquaticbiology

fishlips
May 30, 2005
redneck heaven
hutch said:
The small trailer will be closed for a few weeks due to health problems
GAAK! :puke:

If it ain't made by Panda, I ain't eatin it.

On the other hand, I have found vast differences in chinese food buffets across the southeast - many of whom are now being run by mexican families.

Spring rolls ruled my life at one time. Oh, Formosa, how I shall miss thy Mongolian Barbeque. The sweet ting-ting of the trowels and the burning of the flames of the real soy sauce. Your Garlic Chicken was the best, and your perfect Fried Rice with those tiny-tiny square pieces of pork and chicken mixed within still makes me whimper.

Too good for words. Too bad it burned down.

Boo-hoo

hutch

Beach Lover
Did not know how many people here loved Chinese Food. Most of Chinese food here is all American Chinese food. Maybe I should go back to Atlanta China town on Buford Hwy and bring back a real Chinese cook that does dim sum and other real Chinese cooking. Beachmouse is right. The take out and eat in next to Bonefish is pretty good and they will cook you anything on request and is CHEAP.

the hutch

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
My strip mall Chinese gold standard is still a little hole in the wall in Mayfield, Kentucky of all places. $7 for enough of the best Szechwan chicken around to feed both me and Mr. Mouse.