• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

5thGenFlo

Beach Lover
Dec 18, 2007
Nashville, TN
I suspect he thought you were shooting him a bird. Not a friendly move. This is an unincorporated area, people can carry weapons if they want. Secondly, the county went to a lot of trouble building a "BIKE PATH" for the tourists that like to ride bikes. Most native Walton countians don't ride bikes, too many miles just to get anywhere. Most vehicles that drive on highways have to be street legal, ie, lights and the ability to drive the speed limit. Highway 30A is a narrow road without any shoulder, and riding a bicycle in the middle of the highway is dangerous, inconsiderate, and very irritating. When I see a cyclist in the middle of the road, I think, why did the county put in a bike path? What, do they think they own the road? They have to much leisure time on there hands! And when they don't move out of the way, they have just made a statement that they don't care about anyone else on the highway, or where the vehicles have to go. They are on vacation, and to heck with the rest of the world!
florida girl, I understand that you're voicing the growing pains of a small community getting larger. And, I understand that you are but one voice in a quieter chorus of disgruntled dwellers having to aqcuiesce to an influx of newcommers in your area. However, you should never, never use an event like this one to sing solo. Implying a threat on someone's life by brandishing a firearm does not weigh evenly on the scale of recourse, with that of impeding drivers by blocking their way with a bicycle. You would be better served and less stirring, if you would let this incident serve as fodder for mulling over, when you're studying the candidates running for public office.

florida girl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 3, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
It is amazing to me that this issue has gone on for 13 pages! Good grief! The cyclist asked for an explanation, mine happened to be one that is certainly not foreign to many native's I know, I can't help it if there are some of you that never heard it. If you don't want anyone's opinion, why do you ask?

florida girl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 3, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
florida girl, I understand that you're voicing the growing pains of a small community getting larger. And, I understand that you are but one voice in a quieter chorus of disgruntled dwellers having to aqcuiesce to an influx of newcommers in your area. However, you should never, never use an event like this one to sing solo. Implying a threat on someone's life by brandishing a firearm does not weigh evenly on the scale of recourse, with that of impeding drivers by blocking their way with a bicycle. You would be better served and less stirring, if you would let this incident serve as fodder for mulling over, when you're studying the candidates running for public office.

First of all, assumptions aren't wise. I never said threatening with a gun was acceptable, just tried to explain why it happened. You assumed the worst. One voice maybe, maybe not, depends on who or what you listen to. If you haven't heard that one voice before, maybe it's time you did. I have never been ashamed to stand up for mercy, or any other issue I believe in. I have seen many problems resolved as a result. Maybe it's time someone stood up and had an opinion!!!

DD

SoWal Expert
Aug 29, 2005
grapevine, tx. /On the road to SoWal
FG, I don't think there's a lack of opinion on this board. :wave:

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
First of all, assumptions aren't wise. I never said threatening with a gun was acceptable, just tried to explain why it happened. You assumed the worst. One voice maybe, maybe not, depends on who or what you listen to. If you haven't heard that one voice before, maybe it's time you did. I have never been ashamed to stand up for mercy, or any other issue I believe in. I have seen many problems resolved as a result. Maybe it's time someone stood up and had an opinion!!!

Are you going to show mercy to the mosquitos, dog flies, and other bugs? After all that dog fly might just be having a bad day.

Luv the Beach

Beach Comber
Sep 26, 2008
No excuse for pulling guns. No good excuse for rude behavior. Not born here, but my 30 plus year old son was, and I was here before tourist "develpment." I do enjoy the bike paths (for bikes, feet, etc) and the highway (for cars). I do wish the bikes were either riding on the bike path when available, of if available and don't want to use them, find an area such as the park trails or country roads where it doesn't endanger life or impede traffic.

Paige

Beach Lover
Mar 6, 2005
Arkansas
No excuse for pulling guns. No good excuse for rude behavior. Not born here, but my 30 plus year old son was, and I was here before tourist "develpment." I do enjoy the bike paths (for bikes, feet, etc) and the highway (for cars). I do wish the bikes were either riding on the bike path when available, of if available and don't want to use them, find an area such as the park trails or country roads where it doesn't endanger life or impede traffic.

I take it that you haven't read the enitre thread. This has been hashed and rehashed.

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
I do wish the bikes were either riding on the bike path when available, of if available and don't want to use them, find an area such as the park trails or country roads where it doesn't endanger life or impede traffic.

A lot of things I would like to see changed in this country. Thank God we do not live in a Democracy. This Republic thing keeps my outlandish ideas from becoming law. Just like it will protect us from this one.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
It's almost election day, thought I'd bump up a thread that a candidate has voiced some interesting opinions in.